PDA

View Full Version : Which camcorder?

SpeedinLancer
06-23-2009, 04:50 PM
I've been thinking about for some time about getting a camcorder for all of my traffic related saves. I would also like to have one for when I am stopped, having video evidence is never a bad thing.

There lies a couple questions. Which camcorder would be the best bang for the buck at around the $250.00 price mark? I have been looking at the JVC Everio GZ-MS120 and that looks like what I am going to go with, I just wanted to get some of the opinions of the board members here.

Also, is there a way for a convenient dash mount system or perhaps a visor mount? Something to quickly take down would be a must. I don't want to look like a creep when people are in my car... =P

Thank you.

srtga
06-23-2009, 06:55 PM
I'd go for one with image stabilization and a remote.

Having said that I use an el-cheapo best buy cam. I travel a lot and don't want to have to worry about keeping up with an expensive cam.

Motor On
06-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Things to look for

1. Solid state media, some sort of flash memory...no moving parts no dead camera from vibrations
2. Records in a format your computer can handle...so you don't get stuck converting every f***ing video file before trimming it down
3. Battery life, inverted to AC adaptor or factory 12v adaptor...know which will be your solution so you know what's important to you
4. Wide field of view and Low lux ratings if you drive at night
5. Check out filmtools.com for some mount options, these are professionl solutions that keep it stable, but pop off in about 1/2sec and google for others options lots out there in the quick release category

Not familiar with the model you listed mine is in my signature and I also use HV10 HD MiniDV for my true HD 1080i driving videos. I've been happy with both.

v1user
06-23-2009, 08:33 PM
I copied this from a Happya$$ (give him credit) post I read a while back.

Go to Ebay and put in item number 120397058389. This seller and product are GREAT. I bought one.

srtga
06-23-2009, 09:58 PM
Things to look for

1. Solid state media, some sort of flash memory...no moving parts no dead camera from vibrations
2. Records in a format your computer can handle...so you don't get stuck converting every f***ing video file before trimming it down
3. Battery life, inverted to AC adaptor or factory 12v adaptor...know which will be your solution so you know what's important to you
4. Wide field of view and Low lux ratings if you drive at night
5. Check out filmtools.com for some mount options, these are professionl solutions that keep it stable, but pop off in about 1/2sec and google for others options lots out there in the quick release category

Good advise! Especially format and battery life. Also make sure it will record while hooked up to external power so you can power it from the lighter socket or an inverter.

SpeedinLancer
06-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the great advice guys, when I get back from work I'll try to find a camera that meets the criteria and see what you all think.

Thanks =)

34Ford
07-08-2009, 12:55 PM
These look real nice. Found out about them last week on engadget.
vholdr.com

HD camera mostly made for helmet mounting but they offer many other universal mounts.

Check out some of their videos.