PDA

View Full Version : Daylight running lights and Veil!

Road Warrior
11-08-2005, 08:47 PM
In Canada is mandatory for all vehicles, except those pretty old models, to be equiped with daylight running lights. Does this diminish the effectiveness of Veil coating over the headlights? If yes, how much?
TIA

SmaartAasSaabr
11-09-2005, 03:07 PM
I remember the DRL's actually reduced the target range... on the gen 1 guns. Now no effect...

My car's a US market, and I am happy to have no DRL on my car, since it allows you to use flash-to-pass and people actually notice :lol: IMO I never liked the idea.

You could disable your DRL's pretty easy, most likely (depending on your car), on a Saab just pull a relay out of the fuse box and done!

Road Warrior
11-09-2005, 06:31 PM
I remember the DRL's actually reduced the target range... on the gen 1 guns. Now no effect...

My car's a US market, and I am happy to have no DRL on my car, since it allows you to use flash-to-pass and people actually notice :lol: IMO I never liked the idea.

You could disable your DRL's pretty easy, most likely (depending on your car), on a Saab just pull a relay out of the fuse box and done!

Hi SAS, thanks for the input :)
So, as per today's laser gun's efectiveness, no Veil difference between DRL and no DRL...
It's weird, I asked some people who moved up here from the States with their own vehicles, and they had to install the DRL before they got the Ontario plates... on the other hand, it's true that I saw some new models of cars, with Ontario plates, and no DRL, maybe I should have asked the drivers why they don't have DRL :roll:
What's "flash-to-pass"?
What about a Civic, how can you disable them?
Take care :wink:

SmaartAasSaabr
11-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Check on the NMA web site...

If the car is less than 15 years old you have to retrofit the DRL's.

If it's got Ontario plates, 90% chance the wiring shorted out and they don't work :lol:

Flash-to-pass -> flashing your highbeams to get the driver's attention for something, usually before passing, or perhaps if you've past a speedtrap and there is oncoming traffic etc.

Road Warrior
11-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Check on the NMA web site...

If the car is less than 15 years old you have to retrofit the DRL's.

If it's got Ontario plates, 90% chance the wiring shorted out and they don't work :lol:

Flash-to-pass -> flashing your highbeams to get the driver's attention for something, usually before passing, or perhaps if you've past a speedtrap and there is oncoming traffic etc.

Oh ya... flash-to-pass... very common in old (Eastern) Europe where everybody hated the communist police... of course now there are new times in Eastern Europe, democracy at its best, but the tradition, solidarity, will never go away, people help eachother all the time especially when it's about speed traps... And as a Eastern European I'm doing it all the time here in Toronto, very, very few drivers doing it as well, so to alert the oncomming traffic about a speed (mostly laser) trap right in front of them, but there is no such thing as solidarity cause there is no such people to stay together all the time... Canada is no longer a country anymore, it's just a conglomerate, or how I usually call it, an international bazaar, made of hundreds of independent and totally separate lifestyles, traditions, cultures that work together only when it's time to bash America, in the rest of the time nobody interactes to each other and everybody hates each other... and if you are white, christian, straight and pro-American, in Toronto everybody hates you... sorry for off-topic reflections...
First time I'll stop by my dealer, Iwill ask my guy, the service manager, how is to disable DRL on my car, if possible...
Take care :wink:

SmaartAasSaabr
11-09-2005, 09:34 PM
/offtopic

Canada has never really been a "country" in terms of a "single people". Started out primarily French with many English people then kinda morphed from that into what it is today...

Being Polish myself, I always thought it was funny how a country "ruled by the proletariat" had the people getting ****ed as bad as what was happening... in Capitalism the poor people get ****ed, in Communism *everyone* gets ****ed!! :lol: :lol:

ah, gotta love the EU nowadays!

offtopic/

Crash
11-10-2005, 01:43 PM
/offtopic

Canada has never really been a "country" in terms of a "single people". Started out primarily French with many English people then kinda morphed from that into what it is today...

Being Polish myself, I always thought it was funny how a country "ruled by the proletariat" had the people getting *BEEP* as bad as what was happening... in Capitalism the poor people get *BEEP*, in Communism *everyone* gets *BEEP*!! :lol: :lol:

offtopic/

IŽll take Toronto over Paris, Vienna or my city any day... Canada is extremely lenient towards speeders compared to the U.S.S.R... Oops, I meant the EU!

SmaartAasSaabr
11-10-2005, 03:54 PM
Yeah once photo-radars go up you're f-ed!

But keep in mind the speedlimits in the EU are all generally around 130km/h, or 160 in Italy and Germany, and of course there are a few unlimited zones in Germany.

In Canada you're highway speed limit is 100km/h unless you're in Alberta or BC where it is 110. Not exactly... quick.

Road Warrior
11-10-2005, 05:22 PM
/offtopic

Being Polish myself, I always thought it was funny how a country "ruled by the proletariat" had the people getting *BEEP* as bad as what was happening... in Capitalism the poor people get *BEEP*, in Communism *everyone* gets *BEEP*!! :lol: :lol:

offtopic/

Well... before I got here all I knew about Canada was a country identical with America, that both countries had same people, same traditions, same history, same social systems, only difference was higher taxes in Canada, and of course English language in most of Canada and French in Quebec... that's it... and about multiculturalism, unless you are from the only places people are still comming here (and in huge numbers, about 260,000/year), mostly Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka, MiddleEast and of course HK, you have no idea what a hell multiculturalism really means!!! Each European country has either no immigrants at all or they have assimilated them in time (like US), exception is France and unfortunattelly now they have great problems with all non-assimilated, non-integrated, mostly cultural-independent immigrants and we all know were are they from...
In the early 80's I was with my parents in Poland, Zakopane and Krakow, Tatra Mts, in our Lada 1200, and even now I remember flashing-the-lights drivers were alerting each other about a close speedtrap... no wonder the legendary Lech Wallesa called his organization Solidarnoscz (sorry for my bad polish...)... cause with no human solidarity any govs can do anything they want and that's why in Canada gov is so superauthoritarian...

Veil Guy
01-06-2006, 06:44 AM
Don't expect them to make a difference either way on of off.

Veil Guy 8)

Road Warrior
01-08-2006, 08:22 AM
Don't expect them to make a difference either way on of off.

Veil Guy 8)

Thank you very much Veil Guy... Happy New Year to you and Keep Up the Good Work for 2006 and Beyond :wink: