PDA

View Full Version : Trapster and Sprint

lugnuts
10-23-2009, 04:06 PM
OK I am thinking about switching to sprint and getting a new phone.

what is the best phone from sprint for using trapster? it also has to be a good phone..lol

The Chariot
10-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Any of the HTC Touch models work well. Great Windows mobile devices.

rsatmans
10-24-2009, 04:30 PM
I run trapster on a Palm Pre.

stinger11
10-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Yeah the palm pre seems like a really good phone, i'd recommend that or any of the phones running the google andriod operating system.

dpatel01
10-26-2009, 03:46 PM
Get a phone with a fast GPS lock. My samsung ace can take 3-5 mins in the city to get a gps lock in crowded areas. In the middle of corn fields it locks on in seconds but the data coverage sucks.

Obsidian
10-26-2009, 04:52 PM
It works with all the Sprint Blackberry's as well.

The Chariot
10-26-2009, 05:25 PM
What I did...

Purchased an external Bluetooth GPS unit on Amazon for about $35. I was using the GPS built into the phone but depending on how many towers are nearby GPS can be instant or slow. With Bluetooth GPS it's always fast and locks onto the GPS signal on a clear day in about 1-2 seconds, maybe 10-20 on an overcast day. With an external GPS unit I don't have to worry about slow GPS updates in rural areas. :)

I suggest buying the phone you want for the features it has with trapster as the secondary consideration since it works well on pretty much all the platforms. The best application support is going to be the iphone (but you're locked into their approved apps unless you jailbreak it) or any Windows Mobile device. Both have orders of magnitude more apps than other platforms, many of them free. :) Make sure whatever you buy it has a large screen and loud enough speaker to get the most out of trapster.

swarga
10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
I was using the GPS built into the phone but depending on how many towers are nearby GPS can be instant or slow.

:confused:

The GPS signal comes from orbiting satellites, not cellular towers.

:confused:

R.J.
10-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Some phones use Cell towers to triangulate your position as they're not equipped with a satellite receiver. Haxor GPS.

The Chariot
10-28-2009, 08:50 PM
Well, I don't know with any certainty what my Windows Mobile phone uses for GPS, but the external unit is certainly better. It even picks up a signal inside most rooms in my house pretty quickly. Plus you can put it at the front of your dash for better reception and keep the phone further inside the cab. Works well for me, YMMV. :)

swarga
10-28-2009, 09:18 PM
Some phones use Cell towers to triangulate your position as they're not equipped with a satellite receiver.

Except the location thus triangulated is not reported back to the phone AFAIK - it's only used to try to locate you if you call 911 or you're Kevin Mitnick. :D

swarga
10-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Well, I don't know with any certainty what my Windows Mobile phone uses for GPS, but the external unit is certainly better.

Not doubting that the external GPS works better; I'm simply pointing out where the signal comes from (or, rather, doesn't come from). :thumb2:

AFKVibeGT
12-15-2009, 01:49 PM
Using an 8330 with Trapster here, works great, sometimes even better reception than the iPhone 3Gs i used to have.

OldGoat
12-15-2009, 03:14 PM
What I did...

Purchased an external Bluetooth GPS unit on Amazon for about $35. I was using the GPS built into the phone but depending on how many towers are nearby GPS can be instant or slow. With Bluetooth GPS it's always fast and locks onto the GPS signal on a clear day in about 1-2 seconds, maybe 10-20 on an overcast day. With an external GPS unit I don't have to worry about slow GPS updates in rural areas. :)

I suggest buying the phone you want for the features it has with trapster as the secondary consideration since it works well on pretty much all the platforms. The best application support is going to be the iphone (but you're locked into their approved apps unless you jailbreak it) or any Windows Mobile device. Both have orders of magnitude more apps than other platforms, many of them free. :) Make sure whatever you buy it has a large screen and loud enough speaker to get the most out of trapster.
X2

from the Blackberry section of the trapster site

"You can order one[external GPS] from Amazon, or get it at your wireless store (though retail price at the store is sometimes 3 times as much!). These actually work quite a bit better than the internal GPS in our testing anyway. The battery lasts much longer without a recharge, and it receives the signal very well. In fact even though our BlackBerry's have internal GPS, we always use these instead!"

Interested in Trapster having it's own forum ?
vote in the http://www.radardetector.net/forums/other-countermeasures/53061-trapster.html Forum poll

Sean@trapster.com
12-23-2009, 07:20 PM
OK I am thinking about switching to sprint and getting a new phone.

what is the best phone from sprint for using trapster? it also has to be a good phone..lol

It is really up to you. I like the Palm Pre right now.