PDA

View Full Version : Inform LEO of CCP or Not?

Hahns5.2
12-06-2009, 02:59 PM
Seems there is a lot of debate about this on various gun/CC forums so I'm curious if any of you guys have any experience on the matter.

So if you have a CCP and live in a state which does not require you to inform the officer, do you still inform them or not? Does your CCP show up when they run your license?

I'm asking because I recently turned 21 so I bought my first handgun and will be obtaining my CCP.

Z1NONLY
12-06-2009, 03:30 PM
Just the permit?

No.

Heck, I wouldn't bring up the firearm unless you have to go near it.

If your registration is in the same place as your gun, inform the LEO and let him tell you how to proceed.

Never reach anywhere near a gun without making sure both of you are in agreement that it's OK to do so.

If you keep your gun in plain view, (not required in my state) keep your hands where he can see them and inform him/her first. No sudden moves.

If you have a gun in your suitcase in the trunk, I wouldn't bring it up.

category4
12-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Just the permit?

No.

Heck, I wouldn't bring up the firearm unless you have to go near it.

If your registration is in the same place as your gun, inform the LEO and let him tell you how to proceed.

Never reach anywhere near a gun without making sure both of you are in agreement that it's OK to do so.

If you keep your gun in plain view, (not required in my state) keep your hands where he can see them and inform him/her first. No sudden moves.

If you have a gun in your suitcase in the trunk, I wouldn't bring it up.

X2, great advice. I never mention it if the weapon is in the glove box or console unless the officer asks me to get some information out of one of those compartments. I then tell him very politely there is a weapon there and I have CCP and he'll have to get the info or weapon.

tjbender
12-06-2009, 03:46 PM
If the gun is under a seat or someplace out of (everyone's!) sight and nowhere near anything you'd need to be poking at with the officer there, I wouldn't say a damn thing about it unless asked.

If it were in the glove box or someplace you'd need to be to get your registration/insurance, I'd show my CCP to the LEO, inform him that there is a firearm in the vehicle, and that it's someplace where I would have to be to get my registration and insurance out. Then I'd wait for the LEO's instructions as to how to proceed and do exactly as he said, in a very slow and deliberate manner. For many LEOs, a traffic stop is the most unpredictable (read: dangerous) moment of their day, and if an unannounced firearm falls out of your glove box while you're fumbling for your registration (regardless of CCP and loaded status), you're liable to end up in cuffs explaining to the sergeant why you shouldn't spend a few nights in the tank--at best.

Lucky225
12-06-2009, 04:12 PM
To me it's very simple, do *NOT* put your gun or any other contraband in the same place as your registration/insurance.

category4
12-06-2009, 04:16 PM
My weapons are not contraband. I'm legally licensed to conceal and carry a weapon. I only inform them I have a weapon if I feel they may be a potential for a misunderstanding that might get me injured or killed.

Other than that I keep my mouth shut about it. But the two imes I have been shopped and mentioned it, they forgot about why they originally stopped me and sent me on my way after they found all was in order with my license.

Lucky225
12-06-2009, 04:53 PM
I did not mean to imply that weapons ARE contraband, I meant do not put weapons OR contraband in a place where it's going to be brought up during a stop. Just as RDs, laser jammers, CB radio and scanners are legal, I'd rather not talk about them with the kind officer during a traffic stop, therefore I don't have them in plain view or near something that I might have to pass through the window to an enforcement officer.

category4
12-06-2009, 05:20 PM
I did not mean to imply that weapons ARE contraband, I meant do not put weapons OR contraband in a place where it's going to be brought up during a stop. Just as RDs, laser jammers, CB radio and scanners are legal, I'd rather not talk about them with the kind officer during a traffic stop, therefore I don't have them in plain view or near something that I might have to pass through the window to an enforcement officer.

Got ya, thought you meant if you did not have a permit. I understand you thought process and it has very valid points. I don't typically keep it need important papers the officer might need to see in my vehicle, but when I use someone else's car occasionally I don't have a choice as the glove compartment is the only space available.

Motor On
12-06-2009, 06:24 PM
If the law here were different I'd have my CCW, but it's not so I don't. However here is a thought process I've heard, that does offer some interesting points.

This particular gentleman, made a point of windows down, hands on the top of the steering wheel. When the officer walked up to the car he would politely inform him he has a CCW and is carrying today, the weapon is (where ever he had it at the moment either on him, in the glove box or console) and asked the officer how he wanted to proceed, and if the officer told him to get out whatever papers he said where they where (wallet, glove box, etc.) and when he got the ok moved very slowly. He kept is paperwork 100% in order and said between the two he'd only ever gotten a warning after a dozen or so traffic stops. He attributed it to showing respect for the officer, and diffusing the situation before it became one, which often times meant the officer was going home safely at the end of his shift, hence the extra leeway with a couple of MPH over the limit.

Just food for thought.

category4
12-06-2009, 07:11 PM
If the law here were different I'd have my CCW, but it's not so I don't. However here is a thought process I've heard, that does offer some interesting points.

This particular gentleman, made a point of windows down, hands on the top of the steering wheel. When the officer walked up to the car he would politely inform him he has a CCW and is carrying today, the weapon is (where ever he had it at the moment either on him, in the glove box or console) and asked the officer how he wanted to proceed, and if the officer told him to get out whatever papers he said where they where (wallet, glove box, etc.) and when he got the ok moved very slowly. He kept is paperwork 100% in order and said between the two he'd only ever gotten a warning after a dozen or so traffic stops. He attributed it to showing respect for the officer, and diffusing the situation before it became one, which often times meant the officer was going home safely at the end of his shift, hence the extra leeway with a couple of MPH over the limit.

Just food for thought.

I feel the same way, I believe that once the officers knew I was trying to make sure we were both safe they gave me a little leniency they may not had I handled it differently.

Z1NONLY
12-06-2009, 07:46 PM
The one time it came up with me, I had my normal carry gun and my home protection gun in the glove box.

(I was on my way to buy a simplex safe and wanted to get the smallest safe that my large-(er) home protection piece woud fit into.)

I was very polite and after telling hime I had two guns in the glovebox, asked him how he wanted to proceed. He said to hand them to him, one at a time and I did.

The LEO was a bit of a jerk though. He dropped ech one on the roof of my car with a loud metal-on-metal bam!....bam!.:confused:

Then he tried to play games...

Him: Something to the effect of.. "Do you have a license for these guns?"

Me: "I don't need one."

He was a Florida hwy patrolman and he knew we didn't need a license to carry guns our cars. :mad:

After he dropped the scare tactic and moved onto the traffic stop, I told him I had a CC permit and offered to show him.

Lucky225
12-06-2009, 08:18 PM
Z1, this is EXACTLY why I think it'd be better just to throw them in the center console or trunk instead of where your glove box is. There's no need to bring the guns up unless the officer has probable cause to search your vehicle, so long as they're out of plain site and not in an area you'll be reaching during the stop, I don't see the point in even mentioning them.

NissanA
12-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Unless your required by law to inform the officer, or think he will see it, I wouldn't even bring it up. Reason being is it may turn a 10-15 minute traffic stop into a 1 hour traffic stop which might involve you being detained, lectured, and disarmed by a LEO who is not familiar with gun laws.

AirbnDoc
12-06-2009, 09:04 PM
I agree with the majority of the others on here...I wouldn't say anything unless I were asked...not carry my weapon(s) in my glove box. Although MotorOn does make a valid point...in some cases being upfront with the officer could be a better option, being courteous and respectful is also always a plus...Myself though...in most cases I wouldn't say anything unless asked, or they needed to search my vehicle for some reason.

Motor On
12-06-2009, 09:36 PM
After he dropped the scare tactic and moved onto the traffic stop, I told him I had a CC permit and offered to show him.
Rhetorical question, if you started the stop off b informing him you had a CCP do you think it would have changed his attitude when you told him you had a weapon in the car? Regardless of where you needed it to transport the weapons or not?

Also no harm done in mentally noting the name and/or badge number and filling with the state about rude/disrespectful encounter and damage to your paint.

Stealth Stalker
12-06-2009, 09:38 PM
I guess I have a little different take. Assuming I have the opportunity to get my ID out before the officer arrives at my side, I simply hand him my DL and CHL together at the same time. Nine times out of ten, that immediately puts them at ease, and they don't even ask any questions about the weapon. I've had them ask, "are you carrying today?" I just reply, "yes, it's on my right hip, under my shirt", and that's the end of it. It's going to be variable from state to state, and officer to officer. States like Texas and Floridia are pretty comfortable with it, and have been for a long time. Other states, not so much, especially up north. In the south, if you have a problem with an officer over a legally concealed weapon, the officer turns out to be some Yankee reject frostback who moved down from Michigan or NY and brought the attitude with him.

The only times I've had an issue was in Texas, before I had a CHL. Officers asked if I had any weapons, and I admitted that I did. While both were legal, and not concealed, they still tried to give me a crock of shyte about it, before finally leaving me alone. But in both cases, I'm sure it would have turned out worse if I had not admitted to them.

STiMULi
12-06-2009, 10:15 PM
My weapons are not contraband. I'm legally licensed to conceal and carry a weapon. I only inform them I have a weapon if I feel they may be a potential for a misunderstanding that might get me injured or killed.

Other than that I keep my mouth shut about it. But the two times I have been shopped and mentioned it, they forgot about why they originally stopped me and sent me on my way after they found all was in order with my license.

Exactly the same here.

I have had once incident where I felt a pat down was about to occur and it was in a very public area. I felt because of the concern of the public's paranoia I asked that before the pat down occur that we wait for a second officer to be present and the pat down not occur in direct site of the public.

This was done to protect me from some rookie cop and some stupid member of the public who might think they would need to protect the police from me when my weapon was exposed. I was very clear to the public that I had concern for my of safety so if things got out of had at least my wife would have a case.

OTHERWISE...

Unless there is a direct reason for the officer to know of my weapon, I do not advise them so not to add any other ingredients to the reason why I was stopped.

If I feel that I may be asked to exit the vehicle I would advise the officer. If this has been the case then most of the time it has made no difference so I leave well enough alone. Southwestern Officers are familiar with people having weapons with or without permits.

Some states I do not handle it in the same manner. Make sure you have a good clear understanding of the reciprocity laws of the areas you are going to. Yes, there are websites that tell you but they are not always up to date. Call the State Police ahead of your visit and avise them of what state you are a citizen of and that you have a valid permit. They should guide you as to how to deal with the LEOs in that state. Some states require that you notify the officer that you are armed at the time of the stop.

IF YOU ARE ARMED ALWAYS KEEP BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL UNTIL INSTRUCTED TO DO OTHERWISE. WHEN YOU PULL OVER, JUST PULL OVER. DON'T MAKE A BUNCH OF MOVEMENTS OR YOU WILL CONCERN THE OFFICER. (You should do this anytime you are pulled over)

IF YOU CAN, KEEP YOUR REGISTRATION/PROOF OF INSURANCE IN THE DRIVERS DOOR PANEL. WHEN ASKED FOR IT ASK THE OFFICER IF YOU MAY OPEN THE DOOR TO RETRIEVE IT. LET HIM SEE YOU REACH FOR IT EVEN IF YOU CAN REACH IT WITHOUT OPENING THE DOOR.

Stay out of your consoles, seats, cubby holes, glove compartments or overhead compartments UNLESS INSTRUCTED TO DO SO.

It makes everyone feel better.

Cell Phones, hair brushes, wallets and many other items have been reason enough for a paranoid officer to shoot an unarmed victim and when reviewed the Officers got away with the shooting. You as a civilian would not. Err on the side of caution.

Lucky225
12-06-2009, 10:22 PM
I guess I have a little different take. Assuming I have the opportunity to get my ID out before the officer arrives at my side, I simply hand him my DL and CHL together at the same time. Nine times out of ten, that immediately puts them at ease, and they don't even ask any questions about the weapon. I've had them ask, "are you carrying today?" I just reply, "yes, it's on my right hip, under my shirt", and that's the end of it. It's going to be variable from state to state, and officer to officer. States like Texas and Floridia are pretty comfortable with it, and have been for a long time. Other states, not so much, especially up north. In the south, if you have a problem with an officer over a legally concealed weapon, the officer turns out to be some Yankee reject frostback who moved down from Michigan or NY and brought the attitude with him.

The only times I've had an issue was in Texas, before I had a CHL. Officers asked if I had any weapons, and I admitted that I did. While both were legal, and not concealed, they still tried to give me a crock of shyte about it, before finally leaving me alone. But in both cases, I'm sure it would have turned out worse if I had not admitted to them.

Well we're not talking about States that require notification or display, Texas GC 411.205 requires display of CHL at the same time an officer demands your driver license or identification.

Donut Patrol
12-07-2009, 10:41 AM

Other than that I keep my mouth shut about it. But the two imes I have been shopped and mentioned it, they forgot about why they originally stopped me and sent me on my way after they found all was in order with my license.

I find around here showing them your LTC is a good way to put the LEO at ease and a good way to potentially get out of a ticket. First of all they are not shall issue around here, meaning they are somewhat difficult to get and the chief of your town feels you are a responsible citizen. This tells the LEO pulling you over that you aren't some sort of thug and will generally put them at ease. Second, as people metioned it is a distraction from your traffic "violation" and gives them something else to go hunting for.

The only bad thing is around here some LEOs are exactly as Stealth described, I guess because everyone up here is a "Yankee reject frostback". :D Some feel you shouldn't be able to carry or w/e their logic is, but typically in the fuss to run the S/N and harass you, they forget about the ticket or whatever they stopped you for.

protias
12-07-2009, 10:44 AM
Handgunlaw.us (http://www.Handgunlaw.us) and OpenCarry.org (http://www.OpenCarry.org) are two good sites for this type of information.

In WI, we have no vehicle carry law (mean, it has to be unloaded and encased), so I do not have to "worry" about this question. I would inform the officer as a check of your license will bring up your CCP.

swarga
12-07-2009, 01:33 PM
X2, great advice. I never mention it if the weapon is in the glove box or console

That C6 console gets kinda hot - aren't you worried about an accidental discharge? :D

spike
12-19-2009, 10:07 AM
When I was in college, long before CCP were available, I was on a road trip to visit a GF, also in Texas and I was carrying in my glove box. I was stopped (for speeding, of course). Admitted, yes, I knew I was speeding...When the officer asked me for my insurance, I informed him that my insurance verification was in my glove box which also was housing my pistol and gave him permission to retrieve the insurance card himself (wanted to make sure there was NO misunderstanding). He took both my insurance and my gun back to his car while he was on his radio. Came back, gave me back my gun, told me to SLOW DOWN and have a nice day...no ticket, no warning.

Being polite and up-front with officers seems to go a long way here in TX. He could have probably taken me to jail if he really wanted to...

Gokhos
12-19-2009, 01:57 PM
Seems there is a lot of debate about this on various gun/CC forums so I'm curious if any of you guys have any experience on the matter.

So if you have a CCP and live in a state which does not require you to inform the officer, do you still inform them or not? Does your CCP show up when they run your license?

I'm asking because I recently turned 21 so I bought my first handgun and will be obtaining my CCP.

In TX, you are required to tell LEO if you have the weapon in the vehicle with you but I don't think you have to tell them about the permit if you have that and not the weapon.

STiMULi
12-19-2009, 06:38 PM
When I was in college, long before CCP were available, I was on a road trip to visit a GF, also in Texas and I was carrying in my glove box. I was stopped (for speeding, of course). Admitted, yes, I knew I was speeding...When the officer asked me for my insurance, I informed him that my insurance verification was in my glove box which also was housing my pistol and gave him permission to retrieve the insurance card himself (wanted to make sure there was NO misunderstanding). He took both my insurance and my gun back to his car while he was on his radio. Came back, gave me back my gun, told me to SLOW DOWN and have a nice day...no ticket, no warning.

Being polite and up-front with officers seems to go a long way here in TX. He could have probably taken me to jail if he really wanted to...

Good for you!!!

Safety first, Laws second :)

protias
12-19-2009, 06:46 PM
X2, great advice. I never mention it if the weapon is in the glove box or console

That C6 console gets kinda hot - aren't you worried about an accidental discharge? :D

The car would have to be on fire for that to happen. ;)

ProbyOne
12-27-2009, 09:40 AM
I wouldn't inform unless you are required by law or if you are asked (learn the laws in your state). It's definitely a good idea to inform of a weapon in a vehicle compartment that you are going to reach into (such as a glove box for proof of registration/insurance).

The only time that I have been stopped with the gun in the car was within the last few months. I was stopped for my tint by the state police. Before checking the tint with his tint meter he asked if there were any weapons in the vehicle. I informed him of my handgun in the car and mentioned that I had a CHL/CCW in my home state.

Everything went smoothly after that. I was actually surprised that he didn't secure the firearm before going back to his car to write the warning. Before parting, he did request that I disclose having a firearm to any LEO at the beginning of a stop, even though it is not required by law in that state.

Motor On
12-27-2009, 10:10 AM
What significant advantage is there to not informing at the begining of the stop? Is it just a case of the law says I have the right to XYZ there fore I will?

ProbyOne
12-27-2009, 10:30 AM
Although not likely, something like THIS (glocktalk) could happen.

I do agree with Z1NONLY when he says:

swarga
12-27-2009, 01:22 PM
But the two imes I have been shopped and mentioned it, they forgot about why they originally stopped me and sent me on my way after they found all was in order with my license.

How do you explain that?

BTW, whatever you do, don't do what that dumbass on "Steven Seagal, Lawman" did: Seagal asks him if he has a weapon in the car; kid says no. Kid then gives cops consent to search his vehicle, and they immediately find a loaded handgun, which they confiscate.

http://www.mockpaperscissors.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/klingon-face-palm.gif

Lucky225
12-27-2009, 03:07 PM
What significant advantage is there to not informing at the begining of the stop? Is it just a case of the law says I have the right to XYZ there fore I will?

Seeing a gun is like a seeing a radar detector, you're OBVIOUSLY some criminal if you have one :rolleyes: Best to just not disclose it unless necessary. There's no reason for you to tell on yourself that you have something scary in the vehicle that could blow your face off, it's just going to make the cop nervous. And if he doesn't know it's in there and just writes you a ticket and never knows it's in there, then who cares, he wasn't nervous, a 'normal' traffic stop was had and everyone moves along safely.

NissanA
12-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Although not likely, something like THIS (glocktalk) (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1053606) could happen.

I do agree with Z1NONLY when he says:

I agree as well. As for that linked thread, that kid brought that upon himself. Its common sense not to be reaching for ANYTHING after you informed a LEO you have a gun unless told to do so... :rolleyes:

NissanA
12-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Seeing a gun is like a seeing a radar detector, you're OBVIOUSLY some criminal if you have one :rolleyes: Best to just not disclose it unless necessary. There's no reason for you to tell on yourself that you have something scary in the vehicle that could blow your face off, it's just going to make the cop nervous. And if he doesn't know it's in there and just writes you a ticket and never knows it's in there, then who cares, he wasn't nervous, a 'normal' traffic stop was had and everyone moves along safely.

Exactly. The general public is fed with propaganda that anyone who is not a cop carrying a gun is obviously a criminal... :rolleyes: The cop is already nervous approaching your car since has no idea who you are and what you are up to.

spike
12-27-2009, 03:38 PM

I honestly don't think most of the LEO in TX have this view about guns, and I think most of the people that carry around here do so for purposes of self-defense and not out of intent to commit criminal acts. In other places, you may have a point...

In any event, it would probably be a good idea to store insurance information, etc., in a location other than where the weapon resides so you're not in the position I described earlier in the thread :o

Lucky225
12-27-2009, 03:42 PM

I honestly don't think most of the LEO in TX have this view about guns, and I think most of the people that carry around here do so for purposes of self-defense and not out of intent to commit criminal acts. In other places, you may have a point...

In any event, it would probably be a good idea to store insurance information, etc., in a location other than where the weapon resides so you're not in the position I described earlier in the thread :o

Again, this thread is not about TX... TX requires you to disclose

STiMULi
12-27-2009, 04:26 PM
If TX residents think this thread is about them then they have a surprise in store for them :(

In VA if you carried concealed and got caught you would lose your right to CC because of the crime you would be found guilty for. I imagine TX is the same way, right?

Lucky225
12-27-2009, 05:46 PM
If TX residents think this thread is about them then they have a surprise in store for them :(

In VA if you carried concealed and got caught you would lose your right to CC because of the crime you would be found guilty for. I imagine TX is the same way, right?

Well let's just say Roland Carnaby didn't disclose his CWP or the fact he had a gun, look what happened to him.

STiMULi
12-27-2009, 09:01 PM

Well let's just say Roland Carnaby didn't disclose his CWP or the fact he had a gun, look what happened to him.

I had no idea who that was so for the last hour or so I have been reading and watching. My oh my! His death was ruled murder over a blackberry and the officers received discipline. One day off for one and the other a written reprimand.

DAMN!

Talk about getting over. I hope that the civil case goes a bit different.

I have stated my opinion previously in this thread of how one should act while carrying or having access to a CW.

I carry always. I know how to act when the Hyper LEOs get wound up so if you guys read about me getting shot by LEO I hope you will raise some stink because it will have been murder. In Houston and most cities with a Blue Wall the cops will get away with it some how.

The officer that had a gun out in DC at a snowball fight would have been killed in Tucson because he never did ID himself while the gun was in plain view and was acting in a very threatening manner. There were a batch of dummies there that needed a face plant (the dufus that threw the snowball at his head). I feel because he was in DC he felt he was the MAN and everyone else was beneath him.

Guys, Gals, if you do not have a CCW yet, it is time to get one. Let's hope you never need it. Learn what it means to have one though. The cops can kill you for whatever they want anyways. Understand the rules of self preservation.

protias
12-27-2009, 09:04 PM
Guys, Gals, if you do not have a CCW yet, it is time to get one. Let's hope you never need it. Learn what it means to have one though.

And remember, it is a right, not a privilege!

Lucky225
12-27-2009, 09:56 PM

It was recently dismissed:mad:

STiMULi
12-27-2009, 10:59 PM

It was recently dismissed:mad:

Sad...

Cell Phones, hair brushes, wallets and many other items have been reason enough for a paranoid officer to shoot an unarmed victim and when reviewed the Officers got away with the shooting. You as a civilian would not. Err on the side of caution.

I quoted myself because I feel this way all the time.

Too often there are 2 sets of rules enforced in 2 different ways. For the most part I have dealt with the sane officers. I have had some idiots most of them were young and immature. One officer was old and he reminded me of Jackie Gleason on Smokey and the Bandit.

Riptide
01-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Guys, Gals, if you do not have a CCW yet, it is time to get one. Let's hope you never need it. Learn what it means to have one though. The cops can kill you for whatever they want anyways. Understand the rules of self preservation.

:dito::dito::dito:

Seriously get one before you can't.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

I haven't been pulled over since before I got mine but from what I hear in my area, just giving your CCW along with your license to the LEO usually turns the weapon into a non-issue but also turns a ticket into a warning. (retired cop told me this now that I think about it) Now my guns always on my right hip when I'm in VA so there really wouldn't be reason to mention it, but as long as the cop doesn't seem like a complete moron I'll probably hand over my CCW.

Motor On
01-19-2010, 11:51 PM

It's not that I won't be able to it's that I still can't; the rest of y'all 48 can. (refrains from political whining) oh did I mention the anti jammer laws and traffic cameras?

STiMULi
01-20-2010, 12:36 AM

It's not that I won't be able to it's that I still can't; the rest of y'all 48 can. (refrains from political whining) oh did I mention the anti jammer laws and traffic cameras?

Yes:

Just in case & since this is the Driving, Speeding and Traffic forum...

Drive, Don't get caught Speedng and stay out of Traffic (with your CCW too :))