PDA

View Full Version : I-71 Cincinnati (miles 2 to 7)

polskihonda
12-07-2005, 11:43 AM
I've seen all kinds of changes to this stretch of road in the past 5 months.

BE CAREFUL AT LUNCHTIME!

Among other things, maybe four times a month, I see State troopers sitting two and three together on the side of the interstate (usually between mile 3 and 5) on northbound lanes using lidar. Cincinnati Police sit in the median shoulder at underpasses and prop themselves up outside the car using white hand-held Laser, too. And they love to sit out there at lunchtime.

I don't have my X50 set for POP detection, but because I see them with the laser units, I don't think anything new is happening.

ONE day I did get K-band instant blips.

HERE'S the kicker... I've also seen some new white boxes installed on an overpass that oddly appear as if they are speed measuring (two elongated white boxes pointed at each lane, black cables headed to each box) and these would be looking at the rear of the car. The overpass is at about mile 3.2, and it's in the middle of several other overpasses.

I am fairly certain these aren't the boxes that read trucker passes because the ends of these tubes are open (suggesting a weather shield for a camera). I don't even know if anything is inside the boxes.

Also, a Norwood Policeman occassionally sits at the end of the entrance ramp at the Smith/Edwards Rd exit and tags people coming over the hill. He is only there once or twice per month, and usually near the end of the month (maybe a quota?). He uses X-band.

I got no new signals on my X50 yesterday, but the the day before yesterday I had two new K-band signals in this stretch of road near the overpass boxes (around mile 3.2) that has always had x-band and one k-band ghost in it (must be from the hospital). It's at mile marker 3.1 to 3.2.

ALSO, about three months ago, X-band signals started in the stretch from mile 3.3 to mile 5.3. They are nothing, but they could be related to the ARTIMIS traffic. What's odd is that they started right after these speed traps began this summer. Some of them are strong but fall off immediately.

So, if you are driving that stretch of road, I've also noticed that the CVS samritan van (roadside assistance -- has yellow flashers on top) tends to be out and about in the area when the cops are, but not always when the cops are. So, if the CVS van is out, slow down for sure.

Even if the van isn't out, watch out for laser in this area.

sethy
12-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Those boxes that you are talking about, I thought were cameras for traffic reports. As for having POP off, thats a no no, I have been POP'ed on 275 and where 75 meet lots of times.

Gotta love the grat state of ohio though. Laser is number 1!

Mackid343
12-07-2005, 03:14 PM

i love it how they havnt outlawed jammers since they use so much laser :lol: . makes avoiding tickets quite a bit easier!

polskihonda
12-07-2005, 04:00 PM
Those boxes that you are talking about, I thought were cameras for traffic reports. As for having POP off, thats a no no, I have been POP'ed on 275 and where 75 meet lots of times.

Maybe they are traffic things, but it seems like overkill to have two cameras pointed at each lane in north and southbound traffic. It's also far to suspicious to me that they appeared magically after the big crack down in athe end of July where all I saw daily was a mess of people puleld over on each side of the interstate for a couple miles.

I forgot to mention that they stake both sides of I-71 out.

I also forgot to mention that some enterprising Cincinnati policeman has been sitting on the entrance ramp to 75-North at the on ramp from Freeman Ave. He sits up in the grass, out of site from the northbound traffic and nails folks from the rear.

It's another hot spot at the base of Montane hill on I-74 within 2 miles of 75 (just afer the Montana Exit)... I saw a cop visually spot a person (no electornics on him) and wave someone off the road... they get pretty aggressive there at times ... mostly end of month, but not exclusively. Also, from 7:30-9 am mostly, with the occassional weekend trap.

The county sits in the median of I-74 in the turnarounds up the hill, also (between Montana and Harrison), as well as one crafty county sheriff who occassionally (twice a month that I've seen) sits in the entrance ramp from northbend road to westbound hidden behind the jersey barrier pegging people from the backside.

I think the I-75 traps near GE and such are well known as well as the traps on 275 between the 70s and near the big mall.

Thanks for the heads-up on POP... I'll turn it on and see what I get.

Cheers!