PDA

View Full Version : Bel STi - Speedzones Test is Out

observin
12-13-2005, 11:08 AM
It will be interesting to see what DET comes up with regarding "true" leakage; but according to SML this passes muster..

http://www.speedzones.com/smlTests.html

spankyaf
12-13-2005, 11:18 AM
"The STI was invisible down to point blank range with the noses of the vehicles touching"

Yeah baby take that Cam Wooley kiss my speeding ass. :lol:

Also, I note the V1 was detected at 544 feet :shock:

jimbonzzz
12-13-2005, 11:25 AM

That's actually not bad compared with some of the results they've had during their annual shootouts:

2002 - 1057 feet
2003 - 889 feet
2004 - 1860 feet
2005 - 166 feet

Daz
12-13-2005, 11:25 AM
I agree! Just because it beats the Spectre 3 for now I'm still not convinced. Let's see the true leakage, has DET got his hands on an STI yet? Anyone know how long before his tests are released?

observin
12-13-2005, 11:26 AM

RDD's and/or RD's "manufacturing tolerances and/or various versions" are obviously wacked; this summer SML Spectre III tested V1 at 166 feet; Radar Roy has same; GOL have V1 at 98 front; 338 rear

spankyaf
12-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Yeah I dont take any stock in the "range" of detection numbers. They are all over the place.

As for the DET test yup I;m waiting but its hard not to crank up the happy dance after several years.

I wonder how they come up with the phrase "blistering sensitivity" it doesnt seem to be substantiated by their write up. Maybe some unpublished tests?

stealthJamal
12-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Speedzones is so inconsistent you never know when they are telling the truth anymore in my opinion. SML said the Bel 995 and the V1 don't detect Ka POP and they do! SML said the Blinder Xtreme jammed stealth mode and it didn't! SML also said that no laser jammer's jammed the LA stealth mode! SML has 2 vastly differenent detection ranges of the V1 with the Spectre III! I'm sure there is more I can't think of right now.
Another thing I noticed based on the pictures of that aritcle is SML did not have the Spectre and the STI mounted level. Also noticed the picture of the Spectre was not the Spectre III unless it was orignally an older Spectre model that was upgraded to a III.

I'll believe the STI is stealth if Roy and/or GOL tests show it is.

crazyVOLVOrob
12-13-2005, 11:59 AM
let me see Roy's and GoL test now

stealth9
12-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Boy this is interesting:

"The labeling must contain a FCC ID # of the detector and contain the wordage of “This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause harmful interference and (2) this device must accept any interference received including interference that may cause undesired operation.”

So did the FCC just put (2) in so they or any other government agency could screw us if they wanted to?????

spankyaf
12-13-2005, 12:50 PM
I agree! Just because it beats the Spectre 3 for now I'm still not convinced. Let's see the true leakage, has DET got his hands on an STI yet? Anyone know how long before his tests are released?

Hey dont rain on my happy parade just because you went and bought that leakin V1

Daz
12-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Hey dont rain on my happy parade just because you went and bought that leakin V1

No man, I'm buying the STI if it proves to be ZERO leakage! I have a Crapra just because I don't want a $400 RD like the V1 taken away by the OPP.

What exactly does this quote mean? What frequency does the Spectre leak?

At this close distance the STi Driver actually detected the RF leakage of the Spectre’s while the Spectres were blind to the use of the Driver.

edweird
12-13-2005, 01:03 PM
#2 has been in the wording for quite a while. I think of it more as a user beware, there are no guarantees from the FCC for this device.

Ed

spankyaf
12-13-2005, 01:04 PM
Man you lost a V1 ... feck

I think itmeans the STI could detect the Spectre leakage and alert but the Spectre couldnt detect the STI.

I also love the comment on the contruction of the case if it ever falls off my bike :lol:

Daz
12-13-2005, 01:23 PM
I think itmeans the STI could detect the Spectre leakage and alert but the Spectre couldnt detect the STI.

Does it fall into the KA band range? I wonder what came up on the STI.

And no I didn't lose a V1, I just don't want to take that chance. If I lose my Crapra i won't really be all that upset.

SmaartAasSaabr
12-13-2005, 02:31 PM
Yeah AFAIK STI has no Spectre detection, it must have been giving POP falses or something!

So if you get POP falses in Ontario/Quebec get outta there!

observin, you really are observin :)

mplsfalls
12-13-2005, 05:00 PM
I would agree with the other posters. Unless you live in a jurisdiction where the use of a radar detector is illegal, wait to see some performance specs. I think there is also some variance between even the same models. I have an RX-65 and have never had a false POP alert since the time of purchase. The Laser detection works flawlessly when driving past the airport. So much so that I have to turn it off.
So until I get the test results from a couple of diffrient sources I am skeptical to pony out $400+.

Joe
12-13-2005, 08:39 PM
YOU HAVE A SECOND HERE!

WHEN I'M IN ONTARIO...MY RD IS IN THE GLOVE BOX

THEY SELDOMLY PULL PEOPLE OVER ON THE 401 ANYWAY....

NO MATTER HOW FAST I HAVE DRIVEN I HAVE ALWAYS, ALWAYS
HAD SOMEONE PASS ME!

I'M AN X NEW YORKER AND WHO DO WE CAMPLAIN ABOUT????

CANADIAN DRIVERS ???? NY TROOPERS LOVE THEM

SmaartAasSaabr
12-13-2005, 09:07 PM

You got that right. You hear what those guys are doing now?

http://www.radardetector.net/More-Than-a-Ticket-NEW-YORK-State-6547t.php

D.E.T
12-13-2005, 10:05 PM
I'm still waiting for some guy called - Roy I think it was - to send me the first one :lol:

Road Warrior
12-13-2005, 10:56 PM
WHEN I'M IN ONTARIO...MY RD IS IN THE GLOVE BOX

THEY SELDOMLY PULL PEOPLE OVER ON THE 401 ANYWAY....

NO MATTER HOW FAST I HAVE DRIVEN I HAVE ALWAYS, ALWAYS
HAD SOMEONE PASS ME!

And I live in Ontario, Toronto area, drive the local freeways a lot, but my RD (cordless) is always ON...
Try to avoid using it within the border area and, very important, hide the God damn cord (IF you use a corded one)...
I used to do 90-100 mph, but now gas is pretty expensive so I stick with 70-80 mph on the freeways in Ontario AND USA...
Yeah, couple of years ago I got a speeding ticket in NY State, I-390 South towards Pennsylvannia, I paid the fine by mail, they sent me the confirmation letter (very honest people) and the ticket never ever showed up in my record (same as my other 2 speeding tickets in AZ and NM)...

Mackid343
12-14-2005, 12:53 AM
they said they exposed the sti to x k and ka. why didnt they post results of how it performed? haha then again, their tests would only show signal stregnth in bars so it wouldnt help much :lol: . hopefully when GOL and roy have their test in the coming month(s) we will hear the truth about this detector and if its really undetectable. i'm not saying SML lies, but just to verify what they did (and get useful radar detection distances)

stalker
12-14-2005, 05:25 AM
This evaluation was conducted in accordance with accepted police practices for operation of radar and laser speed measurement devices as outlined by the International Association of Chiefs (IACP) and NHTSA.
Police officers observed, reported, and verified the testing procedures.

Attested To This 31th Day of October 2005

Carl Fors, B.S., M.S., President
Speed Measurement Laboratories Inc.
FCC Licensee RS Radiolocation KNNNN392
Certified Master Radar Laser Instructor-LES

The STi Driver was completely invisible to all radar detector detectors while maintaining a blistering sensitivity to all radar bands,

Visit our other websites:

Content/Graphics Copyright © 2005 Speed Measurement Laboratories, Inc. All rights reserved.

I dunno...somthing tells me it wont be invisable for long!!

Radar Roy
12-14-2005, 07:46 AM
I'm still waiting for some guy called - Roy I think it was - to send me the first one

I'm still waiting and remember, I have to test it 1st!

The Walt
12-14-2005, 09:44 AM
Boy this is interesting:

"The labeling must contain a FCC ID # of the detector and contain the wordage of “This device complies with Part 15 of the FCC rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions: (1) this device may not cause harmful interference and (2) this device must accept any interference received including interference that may cause undesired operation.”

So did the FCC just put (2) in so they or any other government agency could screw us if they wanted to?????

That's just standard verbage for anything that receives signals classified by the FCC. You'll find the same labeling on a radio control car, or at least its manual. I think it's to protect other companies whose devices or transmitters may interfere with the operation of your "toys." By protect, I mean from lawsuits and such.

I haven't read the rest of these posts yet, so this might have already been answered. Sorry if so...

SmaartAasSaabr
12-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Yeah I think it was IBM who made the FCC decree that all personal "computing devices" had to comply with Part B of the FCC rules. Which basically means, it isn't a radar jammer.

GTO_04
12-15-2005, 05:44 AM
I would think that if the STi had better radar sensitivity than the current top models they would have been more specific in their detection range test results. My guess is that the STi isn't any better at picking up radar then the V1, the X50, and the RX-65. Otherwise they would have said so. They conveniently left that out.

Still though, it appears that the STi is totally undetectable, and that is a major accomplishment. If I lived in Canada, I would already have my order in! The pressure is on now for VR to answer!

GTO_04

Hessen
12-15-2005, 08:14 AM
I'm still waiting for some guy called - Roy I think it was - to send me the first one :lol:

He probably used UPS AGAIN........but let's not go there.......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hessen
12-15-2005, 08:17 AM
The pressure is on now for VR to answer!

GTO_04

Let's hope so..... :wink:

Hessen
12-15-2005, 08:19 AM
If I lived in Canada, I would already have my order in!
GTO_04

Nope.....not until Roy's results are in and it is confirmed that this RD isn't just a "Flash In The Pan" invisiblilty wise..... :wink:

GTO_04
12-15-2005, 09:15 AM
If I lived in Canada, I would already have my order in!
GTO_04

Nope.....not until Roy's results are in and it is confirmed that this RD isn't just a "Flash In The Pan" invisiblilty wise..... :wink:

I suppose so. Better to be safe then sorry at $449.00!

GTO_04

SmaartAasSaabr
12-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Yep, I'm in Canada and I am a waitin'!

Joe
12-15-2005, 07:33 PM
I don't believe that they would market the STi with the only advantage being invisability, when there are only two sections of the US that they are illegal. I understand there is the Candada factor, but with only 32 million in canada I don't see that being a deciding factor. It would be if they all baught one!

I am hopeing for the best...As I said before....If Roy gives the go ahead...I am an owner!

If it is better![/quote]

fredmon3
12-15-2005, 08:27 PM
Remember radar detectors are banned in all commercial trucks nation wide. I believe this is enforced by D.O.T. officers. This was a recent ban too - the early '90s I believe. Imagine driving that much without a detector! It's gonna be a hit with commercial drivers.

vw242
12-15-2005, 08:46 PM
That's a big 10-4, and truckers won't be hitting the brakes when targeted.

ReadyRadar
12-16-2005, 01:09 AM
That's a big 10-4, and truckers won't be hitting the brakes when targeted.
Heck, imagine that radar line of sight up there... talk about advanced detection!!

Joe
12-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Great Point

Let's hope for the best....

crazyVOLVOrob
12-16-2005, 03:13 PM
truckers usually know well in advance of where the cops are...thanks to the CB

Joe
12-17-2005, 06:35 PM
I spent to many years in NY to have a CB antenna on my car...I know it is stereotypical but I just can't do it. I remember when I first started travelling south and seeing those long antenna's on cop cars.

I am in the midwest now and in Indiana I would be right at home with big antenna's but....

Sorry fellow detector brothren in the south!

Please forgive me :oops: :oops: :oops: :(

crazyVOLVOrob
12-17-2005, 10:28 PM
I spent to many years in NY to have a CB antenna on my car...I know it is stereotypical but I just can't do it. I remember when I first started travelling south and seeing those long antenna's on cop cars.
As long as my CB gives me better cop spotting than any radar detector, it's not coming off

spankyaf
12-18-2005, 06:58 AM
As long as my CB gives me better cop spotting than any radar detector, it's not coming off

Do you have yellow light bar as well? :lol:

Road Warrior
12-18-2005, 07:41 AM
I don't believe that they would market the STi with the only advantage being invisability, when there are only two sections of the US that they are illegal. I understand there is the Candada factor, but with only 32 million in canada I don't see that being a deciding factor. It would be if they all baught one!

I am hopeing for the best...As I said before....If Roy gives the go ahead...I am an owner!

If it is better!

Canada you said :?: :roll: Ontario and Quebec, the most populated provinces where RDs are illegal, you can hardly see somebody driving with an RD in the vehicle, we all know that trying to sell something, anything, with NO advertising, and TV/Radio/Newspaper ads are the most powerfull ones, is just NO SALE at all, also, with the words 'radar detector' being totally wiped-off the TV/Radio/Newspaper daily vocabulary NOBODY ever knows what a hell a radar detector is and does on the road for YOU, the RD owner... if Beltronics (yes, located in Mississauga, Ontario) invested so much money in developing this Spectre-proof RDD only to rely on sales to Canadian drivers, well they should fire right away the project manager and invest real money in better (wider) laser detection... in Canada, if they are lucky, they will be able to sell a couple of tens, maybe hundreds of units, no way thousands, and most of the sales will come from people driving down to US and with such an almost non-existent Canadians driving to the States (private cars, not trucks) no good news for Beltronics and its Canadian market...

SmaartAasSaabr
12-18-2005, 08:38 AM
You are forgetting something important RoadWarrior... all those guys who work at Beltronics in Mississauga need an RD too! :)