PDA

View Full Version : HID Headlight bulbs

stealthfz1
02-24-2010, 10:11 AM
I ordered these bulbs for my motorcycle. I figured for $9.00 including shipping it wasn't much of a risk. I bought them because previous discussions here on the forum seem to indicate that Xenon HID bulbs might interfere with laser some and MIGHT give a little extra time on a laser hit. My bike is black and I don't want to cut down visibility of the headlights with Veil. Currently I haven't seen ANY lidar usage in my area so until I do I don't need to add a jammer YET. I am not counting on this to save me at all but figured it can't hurt.

After doing more research on the internet it doesn't seem like these are a true HID light. Anybody ever use any of these type of bulbs? Is this just basically a replacement bulb for the stock headlights?

A Brand New PAIR (Set of 2) of H4 Xenon HID Headlight Bulbs

Item Condition: Brand New
A Pair (set of 2) of Super High Intensity Discharge HID Xenon Bulbs
Super White
12V Drawing Input, 80W/100W Output
Xenon Gas filled
5000K Color Temperature
Bulbs produces High Wattage light output with only a standard Watt current drawing
NO wires will need to change
More Visibility when driving at night
Give The Looks Of Headlight Just Like The Luxury Cars
Direct upgrade replacement of stock headlight bulbs
Easy Installation (Just plug and play)
No Modification needed

kpatz
02-24-2010, 11:00 AM
Those aren't real HIDs... real HIDs require a ballast and different wiring to work. If it's a drop in replacement for your halogen bulb then it's just a halogen bulb that's tinted to give a whiter/bluer color temperature than a regular halogen bulb... aka a "fake HID".

Also, you simply can't buy a real HID bulb for $9.

ELVATO
02-24-2010, 11:38 AM
HID kit http://www.radardetector.net/forums/car-talk/52294-vvme-hid-lights-here.html

Not HID
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l183/Jjokin3much/HID_Xenon_Plasma_Bulb_8500Kelvin.jpg

Alot of times, those "HID bulbs" will use a higher wattage tinted bulb to give the appearance of brighter. Depending on how high the wattage is, they end up melting your housings/harness.

stealthfz1
02-24-2010, 11:46 AM
That's what I thought too. Doesn't hurt to have spare bulbs though.

dpatel01
02-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Higher wattage bulbs tinted blue can melt the harness and standard wattage with a blue tint cuts light output.

AFineRide
02-24-2010, 12:09 PM
On what kind of bike would you install a true (with ballasts) HID kit?

Reason is because some bikes (mine included) use a central electronic brain to control many of the electrical functions. An improperly installed HID kit, and in some cases, an unrecognized bulb (HID Fake), would trigger a fault. The fault could cause your other electronics to go bonkers.

Be careful....

2Bolt
02-24-2010, 07:10 PM
I didn't want to get deep into it so I installed the -
PIAA H4 Xtreme White Plus Bulb
I tried a few bulbs and the PIAA is what I settled on. Got it at Cycle Gear on sale - and didn't have to get into the harness. It's plug and play or should I say plug & ride.
I have ran it for close to 2 years now and it's still going.
Most of my bike friends run the cheaper Silver Star and Silver Star Ultra. It's not as bright but was/is a nice difference from stock, and a few said they got less than a year out of them before burn out, but it is cheaper. They do say they are happy with them. We're talking cruiser style bike here and not the crotch rocket styles. Some of the cruiser styles like mine had a yellowish bulb that didn't reach out well.
So with plug and ride bulbs, whenever we rode together at night, they all agree my light is brighter than what they have, but they won't pay the extra on what they are running now.
I ride to much during dark hours going to work, mostly highway and back roads through fields. I want to see the critters to give me swerve time when doing highway speeds plus - an advantage anyway compared to the stock bulb I had.
I have thought about adding a light bar but didn't want to get into it and tax anymore on a charging system that's not the best. Maybe I'm just cheap & lazy.
So - so far I'm happy with it and no problems.

stealthfz1
02-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Thanks for all your replies. Not sure what brand these are. I might see if I can borrow a laser temperature sensor to make sure they aren't running too hot.

ELVATO
02-25-2010, 02:38 PM
Are they the same wattage, or higher?

stealthfz1
02-25-2010, 03:32 PM
I'll pull the manual and check.

Batman
04-26-2010, 10:57 PM
I ordered these bulbs for my motorcycle. I figured for $9.00 including shipping it wasn't much of a risk. I bought them because previous discussions here on the forum seem to indicate that Xenon HID bulbs might interfere with laser some and MIGHT give a little extra time on a laser hit. My bike is black and I don't want to cut down visibility of the headlights with Veil. Currently I haven't seen ANY lidar usage in my area so until I do I don't need to add a jammer YET. I am not counting on this to save me at all but figured it can't hurt.

After doing more research on the internet it doesn't seem like these are a true HID light. Anybody ever use any of these type of bulbs? Is this just basically a replacement bulb for the stock headlights?

A Brand New PAIR (Set of 2) of H4 Xenon HID Headlight Bulbs

Item Condition: Brand New
A Pair (set of 2) of Super High Intensity Discharge HID Xenon Bulbs
Super White
12V Drawing Input, 80W/100W Output
Xenon Gas filled
5000K Color Temperature
Bulbs produces High Wattage light output with only a standard Watt current drawing
NO wires will need to change
More Visibility when driving at night
Give The Looks Of Headlight Just Like The Luxury Cars
Direct upgrade replacement of stock headlight bulbs
Easy Installation (Just plug and play)
No Modification needed

Yes this is a regular halogen bulb with some xenon gas mixed in. It may be whiter, but it won't perform like an HID. To get an HID you can't just buy a bulb. You have to buy a full HID kit with ballasts too. You can get some at HIDExtra.com. With a forum discount it comes out to $58 for a pair.

ELVATO
04-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Or you can get them cheaper, say 37 a pair, shipped.

Granted, for a motorcycle, you'd probably want slim ballasts, so 49 shipped...