PDA

View Full Version : GPS install options..pls share

alpha
03-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Hey guys/gals..don't know if covered (cannot locate), but would love to read or see how people have located/installed their gps in their cars. I hate using the suction caps.

sniper4usmc
03-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Hey guys/gals..don't know if covered (cannot locate), but would love to read or see how people have located/installed their gps in their cars. I hate using the suction caps.

if u dont like suction cups..try using Bean bag dashmount.

NetstarGT
03-09-2010, 01:38 PM

I have a Magellan 4250 with voice guidance so I don't have the need to place it on the windshield to view. I keep mine on a bendable floor mount that attaches to my passenger seat bolt that holds the seat track to the floor. The GPS unit sits just over my floor console next to the dash. It's not blocking any view, not easily noticeable for a thief, and doesn't become a projectile at your head during an accident. You can find them on the internet if you search for GPS floor mounts. Check out the attached images.

swarga
03-09-2010, 02:13 PM

That's why mine is built into the dash. Not only is it harder to steal, but it's always there when I need it. I'm so lazy that if there's something I have to put up and take down every time I drive, I'm just going to leave it at home. :lol:

NetstarGT
03-22-2010, 03:11 PM

That's why mine is built into the dash. Not only is it harder to steal, but it's always there when I need it. I'm so lazy that if there's something I have to put up and take down every time I drive, I'm just going to leave it at home. :lol:

I agree that it is a pain in the neck to constantly remove the electronics in your car. It's not only about laziness but the issue of the jacks becoming worn from the constant plugging/unplugging of equipment. I had electronics stolen (portable and in-dash) from vehicles in the past so I think it's worth the effort. My wife shakes her head every time we go out as she waits for me to complete removal/install ritual.

R.J.
03-22-2010, 03:28 PM

I agree that it is a pain in the neck to constantly remove the electronics in your car. It's not only about laziness but the issue of the jacks becoming worn from the constant plugging/unplugging of equipment. I had electronics stolen (portable and in-dash) from vehicles in the past so I think it's worth the effort. My wife shakes her head every time we go out as she waits for me to complete removal/install ritual.

Haha, my girlfriend gives me crap about the countermeasure startup sequence. First the Cheetah C50 voice startup, then the welcome audio from the LI, and finally the V1 startup self test tones. She just rolls here eyes :)

chris98891
03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
hahaha all my friends make fun of me for my setup sequence too, and then continue to harass me when they see how cool i think all the startup is. (cobra 75, V1, and LI (Theresa))

i have an omnitech that i put tomtom, igo, and navigon on that i have mounted just to the left of the gauge cluster. system works well because it has a long power cord. if i used the GPS more often i would hardwire it, but i don't think i'll find any system that i like better than the large suction cup that comes with the omnitech

CJR238
03-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I use my DROID and obviously because its flat i can mount it anywhere. But i don't mind the suction cup mount because of how i placed it.

Lucky225
03-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Personally I like the vr3 roadmaster in-dash GPS

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc191/Lucky225bonne/100_0784.jpg

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc191/Lucky225bonne/100_0791.jpg

Motor On
03-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Dash puck in the cup holder, suction cup attached to the dash puck in the center console, under my HVAC and central switch bank, throw the black over over it and you've got to cup your hands to stare into the window to know it's there. Hardwired a 12v socket behind the dash, all the wires are run behind the panels, have an external antenna affixed so I pretty much never lose signal, external antenna magnet antenna is attached to some brackets I bought at home depot, then took a bolt on the frame off put the bracket on the screw, antenna on the bracket hanging under the plastic cowl cover at the back of the hood, so nothing is blocking the signal, ground plane is present and it's not visible.

protias
03-25-2010, 08:45 PM
You can pick up vent mounts.

Solidjake
03-25-2010, 09:28 PM
I just use the suction cup and mount it as low as possible on the bottom left of my window.

http://img230.imageshack.us/img230/9581/616f.jpg

CJR238
03-25-2010, 09:33 PM
I just use the suction cup and mount it as low as possible on the bottom left of my window.

X2, that's where i have mine. ;)

chris98891
03-25-2010, 10:58 PM
same place i have mine too

Raoul Duke
03-26-2010, 08:53 AM
I don't want to have suction cup rings on my windshield, so I use a portable friction mount with my Garmin.

QuickTrigger
03-27-2010, 09:44 PM
i just use the suction cup and mount it as low as possible on the bottom left of my window.

x2, that's where i have mine. ;)

x3 2909

dpatel01
03-29-2010, 11:00 AM
In dash. :D If its a portable, I'd pick either left lower or upper corners on the windshield. Its out of the way, yet there when you need it.

swarga
03-29-2010, 01:54 PM
I agree that it is a pain in the neck to constantly remove the electronics in your car. It's not only about laziness but the issue of the jacks becoming worn from the constant plugging/unplugging of equipment.

That's an excellent point!

The tang on my V1's hardwire cord has broken completely off due to constand plugging and unplugging, and dumbass me didn't leave enough slack in the cord to allow me to cut off the broken plug and crimp on a new one. :rolleyes:

To fix it, I'm going to have to take the whole damn windshield frame apart again, and I'm not exactly itching to do that anytime soon. So for now it's held in ghetto-style with rubber bands. :lol:

swarga
03-29-2010, 01:55 PM
hahaha all my friends make fun of me for my setup sequence too, and then continue to harass me when they see how cool i think all the startup is. (cobra 75, V1, and LI (Theresa))

They're just jealous. Deep down, they wish they could be flying to work in a space ship too. :lol:

CJR238
03-29-2010, 02:07 PM
I agree that it is a pain in the neck to constantly remove the electronics in your car. It's not only about laziness but the issue of the jacks becoming worn from the constant plugging/unplugging of equipment.

That's an excellent point!

The tang on my V1's hardwire cord has broken completely off due to constand plugging and unplugging, and dumbass me didn't leave enough slack in the cord to allow me to cut off the broken plug and crimp on a new one. :rolleyes:

To fix it, I'm going to have to take the whole damn windshield frame apart again, and I'm not exactly itching to do that anytime soon. So for now it's held in ghetto-style with rubber bands. :lol:

Just use a few inch extension with a coupler. Did that for my concealed display and used the 3" cord it came with. Worked perfect.

<<JAZZY>>
04-06-2010, 11:25 AM
I use a vent mount off of eBay. It's pretty good for $2.25 and that price includes shipping from China.:)

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/3/6/1/9/0/webimg/330366125_o.jpg
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/3/6/1/9/0/webimg/330366135_o.jpg
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/3/6/1/9/0/webimg/330366156_o.jpg

swarga
04-06-2010, 01:26 PM
Just use a few inch extension with a coupler. Did that for my concealed display and used the 3" cord it came with. Worked perfect.

I'm much too perfectionist to resort to such a kludge. That coupler would look like ass and drive me nuts until I ended up fixing it the right way anyway.

CJR238
04-06-2010, 02:09 PM

I'm much too perfectionist to resort to such a kludge. That coupler would look like ass and drive me nuts until I ended up fixing it the right way anyway.

You didn't see the coupler, its by far the best way and it comes in a kit for a extendable phone cord. Its almost exactly the same size as the plug plus its collapsible to make it flat. Very cool and clean and easy to disconnect from the CD, its one of those once in a lifetime finds.

Ill take a pic/vid when i get home so you can see if you would like. Cant get to a much cleaner install then mine.

Found it! The small collapsible coupler in the pic.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/311BHQCDBEL._SS500_.jpg

Apparently my DROID phone can down load low quality videos to youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qinmhKhI2o8

CJR238
04-06-2010, 03:36 PM
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/1/3/3/6/1/9/0/webimg/330366156_o.jpg

I got one of these too but was concerned with moisture so i took the vent attachment off and used double sided tape to mount it better and flush. My iPod is there now, i now use my DROID mounted to the windshield.
http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8492/cimg3135x.jpg