PDA

View Full Version : Is Your ISP Lying? FCC Offers Tools to Test Surfing Speed

Jstglockem
03-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Is Your ISP Lying? FCC Offers Tools to Test Surfing Speed (http://www.switched.com/2010/03/12/is-your-isp-lying-fcc-to-offer-tools-to-test-surfing-speed/?icid=main|netscape|dl10|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sw itched.com%2F2010%2F03%2F12%2Fis-your-isp-lying-fcc-to-offer-tools-to-test-surfing-speed%2F)

So I tried the new FCC test that the Federal Government lets you test the speed of your computer. I have no idea if its bad or good.

down load speed- 4384 kbps
upload speed- 168 kbps
latency-87ms
jitter-61ms

The Chariot
03-12-2010, 04:53 PM
I won't use the test. Plenty of free testing sites which don't require my mailing address. :( Great idea but don't think my tax dollars should be wasted testing connection speeds since the service already exists.

AirMoore
03-12-2010, 04:56 PM
SpeedTest.net & PingTest.net > Feds gathering more information... might as well make them work a tiny bit for it, I am sure they eaves-drop anyways.

Jstglockem
03-12-2010, 05:16 PM
I totally agree with not putting your address. I did not, I used an address in my Zip code.

OpenRoad
03-12-2010, 11:21 PM
The problem with speed tests is that you likely never get those results from downloading from a particular site, due to their own limitations. Speed tests are for raw speed, with little or zero computational or data load on the server end.

Also, if you have cable, the time of day may make a difference, as you share your connection bandwidth with your neighbors.

We recently switched from a more expensive fiber-optic system to ComCast. ComCast claimed 8MB/s which I thought was a huge exaggeration. Before comcast, I could literally download an entire 1GB ISO from Microsoft in about 12 minutes, or floating around 1.5 MB per Second. With comcast, it has dropped to about 40% of that, or well below 1mb/s.

The Chariot
03-13-2010, 09:01 AM
So true. When I operated a very busy site (about a terabyte of transfer per month) we throttled each connection to about 600-700 kbps which was extremely fast (1-2 seconds for 95% of the pages) for the majority of users during average browsing. The only time higher speed becomes an issue is with large downloads and possibly pages with too much reliance on Flash technology.