PDA

View Full Version : Computer faster after adding RAM

Akosikojak
04-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I just put more memory (RAM) into my computer from 3GB to 6GB, I'm using Windows 7(64 bit version) with a AMD 64 bit processor and talk about a serious difference in performance for the better, my computer is definitely noticeably faster now, I was using Windows 7 32 bit version with 3 GB. I believe with my current MOBO I can go all the way up to 16 GB of RAM, but that gets a little expensive for me and not sure the cost/benefit factor is there for upgrading for more RAM. I don't use my computer for games and do little bit of video work and that's it.

barryswanson
04-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Update your browser and you'll find surfing the net is a little faster again.

Obsidian
04-24-2010, 10:36 PM
LOL, yeah adding memory will improve the performance of almost any computer. 3GB is nowhere near enough for Windows 7. Mine came with 8GB out of the box.

ChaoticZen
04-24-2010, 11:00 PM
Whole heartly agree that adding RAM is the best "bang for the buck" when one tries to increase the performance of a computer. Depends on the apps you run or games you play, you can try to disable memory paging to speed it up even faster!

swarga
04-24-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm sorry, but that's effin' sad that you need six gigabytes of RAM to get snappy performance out of an OS.

TRun
04-24-2010, 11:45 PM
Am i the only one who still uses xp?

opilot87
04-25-2010, 06:45 AM
Probably a big part of the reason is because you re-installed a fresh copy of Windows without all the junk, errors and other crap. If you really want to test the difference rip out 3GB again and see how it goes.

kpatz
04-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Also if your mobo supports dual channel, and you populate both banks/channels with RAM, it'll be faster than if you only populate one.

So that could be a factor as well as the amount of RAM. But for any Windows OS, the more RAM the better, whether you're running XP or 7 (I won't include Vi$ta in that list, haha).

Even if you're not using all that RAM for applications, Windows will use what's left for disk cache, so even with light usage you can get snappier performance with more RAM.

Trun, I still use XP. ;) I see no point in upgrading to 7 until I buy/build a new system. My 5 year old Athlon64 system still runs like a top; I overspec'd it when I built it so it wouldn't become useless as fast.

The Chariot
04-25-2010, 07:49 AM

TRun,

I was a diehard XP user (well, Linux too) because I found it to be stable, reliable, fast, etc. Never liked Vista and had no plans to move to Windows 7. I bought a new laptop this fall, dumped Vista and loaded XP on it. 2 months later my free Windows 7 x64 update from the manufacturer arrived. I decided to give it a shot. First hour or so I didn't care for the changes in the GUI. But as time went by I soon learned to really like it. I can say without a doubt that it is more stable than any version of Windows I've used, fast as hell (especially with ReadyBoost) and the GUI has so many little things that make you smack your forehead and say "wow, they should have done that years ago". I've used them all, from Mac to Linux and this is by far the best GUI I've used in a long, long time. Good friend of mine who is (now... "was") a die-hard Mac fan --- he's switched to Windows 7.

I still have XP on an old laptop because its not very powerful (512 Mb RAM) and I use it only for tuning cars. I switched the other 5 systems in the house over to Windows 7 and have not regretted it.

hiddencam
04-25-2010, 08:19 AM
The best raw performance bang for the buck at the moment IMO is a solid state hard drive. I've used a OCZ Vertex drive for many months and it's very impressive for my purposes. But if you're running Windows 7, I'd recommend 60 or 120 GB, since that OS seems to expand in size pretty quickly via hidden file duplication. For XP, that's not an issue for the 30 & 60 GB drives as long as you don't let it get much over half capacity. For bigger storage needs, use the bigger and cheaper spin drives, but for OS.....SSD is the way to go.

sniper4usmc
04-26-2010, 05:56 PM

hey I got XP on my tiny netbook:p

dtraill27
04-26-2010, 06:55 PM
im running 64 bit win 7 with 4gigs ram in my laptop. its a great experience. using chrome as a browser is proving to be very quick

Obsidian
04-26-2010, 07:19 PM

I used it for years until 7 came out. Skipped Vista altogether. 7 is excellent and worth the switch though.

Goofy Footr
05-02-2010, 08:59 PM
LOL, yeah adding memory will improve the performance of almost any computer. 3GB is nowhere near enough for Windows 7. Mine came with 8GB out of the box.

Actually, Win 7 can run on less than a 1Gb. Plenty of ports to netbooks proves this.

Of course its not fun, but it works well enough for casual use.

And adding RAM always will show greater yields in speed than increasing something else like clock speed. 6Gb should do the OP fine, especially since he doesn't game.

I run Win 7 64bit with 4 Gb RAM and its wonderfully snappy. Much better than Vista with memory use, although Vista wasn't terrible.