PDA

View Full Version : Do Cops Primarily Radar Or Laser On Freeways?

ZJamaican
05-08-2010, 01:13 AM
On busy freeways such as the ones in California, I’m referring to freeway that is at least 5 lanes wide, do officers ever sit on an overpass or at the side of a road and shoot radar? The reason I ask is because in my experience this only happens on parts of the freeway where there are few lanes or little traffic. Other than that if it’s busy the officer tends to use Laser.

If its busy and I’m going 90 in the middle and the cop shoots radar is my speed the one that will always show up since I would be going the fastest?

I just see allot of problems with using radar on a busy freeway since the officer has to make his best guess as far as who’s speed he is getting. Is this line of thought correct?

Thanks

milkman
05-08-2010, 06:03 AM
djrams80 lives in Calif. and he has alot of radar and laser videos. I live in Missouri and most of ours is radar. I think it just depends on where you live. snoopyc4 lives in Texas and has alot of videos to of radar and laser.

category4
05-08-2010, 07:10 AM
I live in Atlanta and it's almost all laser. In 4 or 5 lanes of traffic it'shard to determine what speed goes with what car when using radar.

aBLTcheeseburger
05-08-2010, 11:20 AM
The 3-4 lane highways are always radar in KS

SpeedUp
05-08-2010, 11:45 AM
Usually radar where I'm at.

Akosikojak
05-08-2010, 10:24 PM
During my travels through Cali on I-80 (4 to 5 lanes) and I-5 (4 to 6 lanes) at night I see mostly Radar since there is a lot less traffic, but during the day the CHP's have upgraded/using laser for some of their LEO's. I've noticed CHP's started using laser about a year ago where I drive through up in Northern Cali. Not to sure about Southern Cali, I only visit down there about once or twice a year.

CJR238
05-08-2010, 10:35 PM
The officers prefer radar around me, and from what i have seen this is correct.

statusquo
05-09-2010, 09:38 AM
Northern CA around Sacramento where they train you'll see more Laser as the rookies like to stand near the road and show off. Seems to be method of choice around underpasses or overpasses, especially if they can hide a couple of chase cars or bikes there too.

Regarding their bikes, I rarely see any radar off them. I've looked close up at their bikes and it is a Stalker unit shooting front and rear, just I never pick one up. Maybe they just PACE rather than fumble for its controls? I passed one with a customer one day, and then he suddenly shot around me and pulled another guy over all within one mile or so. Not a radar beep at all. Their bikes get up to speed pretty quick so maybe they just observe them pulling away at 55 and nail them? Dunno.

One thing I have noted, as the temps get either too cold or too hot, most all will stay in the comfort of their A/C car and shoot radar. Seems to be their method of choice on long boring open flatland areas which is good for the Redline or V1.

Seems a lot like to just PACE of late. Don't creep up on one to pass if he's at the speed limit and apparently driving in no rush to get somewhere. Watched one guy creep up on one doing the limit and then he passes him and it was all over about thirty seconds later. In some small towns you need to watch your speed as they go all nutty even at 3 MPH over like Hwy. 99 through Chico, CA <damhik! :mad: >. Stoopid local court costs can escalate your $100 fine to $300 now too with added court costs. Kern County is nearly $500 for a $100 fine now. Lawyer fees can cost about $800 for a $500 ticket <damhik that either! :mad: >. In really small towns like Maricopa, CA the local cops will cite you for 20 over even if you are 5-10 under (that made the TV in Bakersfield and you can read some of it in Speedtrap.org).

The CHP does have some unmarked Dodge and Tahoes that are used on flagrant violators (the white Tahoe was shooting Ka too!). Supposedly (legal cite needed?), they are not to use unmarked vehicles for traffic stops in CA, but I've seen otherwise. Buddy and I saw one mini-van with them leave their compound yard too and they blipped the Ka band so something was up. Saw two of them parked around one guy one AM and one of the trucks was an old beater which looked like it was a late 80's two-tone model farmer's truck. State needs the money badly.

Watch your rear view mirrors too. "If the scene is changing, look out!"

sq~

djrams80
05-09-2010, 10:30 AM
Here in SoCal, it's probably 90% radar and 10% laser. Most of the radar is moving radar, which is basically pacing with radar confirmation. Lots of CHP prefer to pace rather than to use electronics at all. About 80% of the laser is done by the moto CHPs.

Frenzy
05-09-2010, 02:16 PM
On a recent trip on I-87 N to I-90 W, and back I had 4 or 5 radar encounters, and 1 laser. All radar was C/O Ka by NYST, and no idea what kind of laser it was.

protias
05-13-2010, 04:53 PM
I'd say 60 radar / 40 LIDAR in WI and IN.

proudNMAmember
05-16-2010, 07:14 AM
Depends on the cop's mood and what equipment they have in their vehicle. Mostly radar here but occasionally see laser.

radarrob
05-16-2010, 08:17 AM
locals radar / highway lidar mostly state police. locals near me no lidar yet.

lastelement21
05-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Up here in Northern California they primarily use KA-band radar. I run into laser encounters more often during rush hour periods, and far less often when its night or raining. In the last few months two of the laser encounters were Motorcycles and one was a crown vic. In the same period of time I have encountered KA enforcement many more times than laser, both rolling and stationary.

CHP will leave you alone up to 79MPH most of the time, as long as you aren't standing out too much. If you are planning on visiting Sonoma county, be prepared to deal with the worst left lane lover problem I have encountered anywhere in the state, it's infuriatingly bad.