PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt switches/buttons and electronic locks for compartments

maxima lover
05-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Well like many of you, I like my vehicle electronics and gadgets. This summer I will finally get a chance to get everything done in my vehicle I have been trying to do. I need some help with a few things though. I'm looking for unique electronic accessory switches or panels. What I mean by this is, I don't want just a 12V switch. I'd like something that gives me a little flexibility like the ability to make the switch momentary, have main switch, switches that can turn off after a certain amount of time. About the closest thing I can find is a police vehicle equipment switch box, but that is too big and still does not quite meet my needs.

The next thing I need is a way to lock up compartments in my vehicle electronicly. This includes the glove box, center council and the compartments under the radio. Does anyone have experience with little locks like this?

I know these items probably do not exist, but I thought some of you might know.

AirMoore
05-11-2010, 06:59 PM
I run a LEO switch-box (though no where near as sophisticated as what you are asking for), just a linked 5-switch box: and I love it.

I have a great video of it in action coming up to a LEO registration/seatbelt checkpoint, but it shows something a bit too illegal to post online... I'm trying to fix that.

Alas, why do u need such an advanced switchbox (ie: timers and such)? Sorry I couldn't help more.

maxima lover
05-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Is it a regular size switch box?

Well I need some fancy stuff for the cameras as well as a couple of other things I can't post on here. I can probably do everything with relays, but at one time I had like 20 relays and lots of extra wiring in my old Maxima, and I was trying to avoid that.

I run a LEO switch-box (though no where near as sophisticated as what you are asking for), just a linked 5-switch box: and I love it.

I have a great video of it in action coming up to a LEO registration/seatbelt checkpoint, but it shows something a bit too illegal to post online... I'm trying to fix that.

Alas, why do u need such an advanced switchbox (ie: timers and such)? Sorry I couldn't help more.

AirMoore
05-13-2010, 03:43 PM
Is it a regular size switch box?

Well I need some fancy stuff for the cameras as well as a couple of other things I can't post on here. I can probably do everything with relays, but at one time I had like 20 relays and lots of extra wiring in my old Maxima, and I was trying to avoid that.

My LEO Switch-Box "Installed":

(Didn't take any pics for it to light-up/turned-on sorry):

http://img7.imageshack.us/i/img0157se.jpg/
http://img341.imageshack.us/i/img0154p.jpg/http://img9.imageshack.us/i/img0152jt.jpg/
http://img9.imageshack.us/i/img0152jt.jpg/

On mine you run one-power (+) wire into the main (40amp) and it daisy-chains it to the rest (4x 20AMP). I wired one 10AWG wire into it, and 5-12AWG off of it... Also you (Can) run a ground for the lights on the display when they are rocked to the 'on' position... I did this as well, so they light-up.

In essence though, not too many of the tools we use here have massive current draws (and @ 40AMP/20AMP respectively... it gives you a fair amount of room to work). SO if done correctly you can put more than one thing on a single rocker if need-be.

Regular size? (Not sure what you mean here, it fits perfectly in that little DIN-cubby.) But it isn't small by any means.

A Switch-Box & Distribution block is the way to go IMHO.

Swamp
05-13-2010, 08:05 PM
I do quite a bit of automotive wiring and electronics work. Care to elaborate a little bit more on what you want to do?
How many individually controlled circuits do you plan on having?
How many devices will you have in each of the following amp draw groups:
1-3 amps (RD's, LJ's, GPS, Cameras)
4-8 amps (scanner, CB, laptop, DVD, alarm)
10-25 amps (Ham/2-way, power inverter, stereo, fuel pump, transmission or engine fans, nitrous solenoids)
For the timed switches, do you need a turn-on delay or a turn-off delay? Fixed delay or adjustable? How long? (Seconds or minutes?)
Do you want indicator lights for the different devices or lighted switches?

For the locks, DC solenoid actuators fit the bill; they run from $20 to $30. Common brands are Dormeyer and Ledex/Johnson Controls.

maxima lover
05-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Below is wheat I need for 8 different things. The main switch will be a completely separate switch and I already have that taken care of. It will be a SPDT switch. I think I am going to use the Pilot switchbox seen here (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/catalog/accessories/accProductDetails.jsp?itemIdentifier=412549_0_0_&skuDescription=PilotAutomotive+/+4buttonflatpanelswitch&brandName=PilotAutomotive&displayName=4buttonflatpanelswitch&skuDisplayName=PilotAutomotive&categoryNValue=10199999&navValue=101420&categoryDisplayName=4buttonflatpanelswitch&parentId=01-10&itemId=1420-10&store=71&productId=412549). That is if it works like I think it does where it resets to the same position when the power is disconnected from the box. All are low amps or are already going to go through 30amp relays. Hopefully it makes some since.

http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/8725/vehiclepower.jpg

I do quite a bit of automotive wiring and electronics work. Care to elaborate a little bit more on what you want to do?
How many individually controlled circuits do you plan on having?
How many devices will you have in each of the following amp draw groups:
1-3 amps (RD's, LJ's, GPS, Cameras)
4-8 amps (scanner, CB, laptop, DVD, alarm)
10-25 amps (Ham/2-way, power inverter, stereo, fuel pump, transmission or engine fans, nitrous solenoids)
For the timed switches, do you need a turn-on delay or a turn-off delay? Fixed delay or adjustable? How long? (Seconds or minutes?)
Do you want indicator lights for the different devices or lighted switches?

For the locks, DC solenoid actuators fit the bill; they run from $20 to $30. Common brands are Dormeyer and Ledex/Johnson Controls.

Swamp
05-18-2010, 07:28 PM
I'll look this over and get back with you.