PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Book Readers

OpenRoad
05-14-2010, 02:15 PM
I've been thinking of getting one for my huge collection of software engineering books I have in PDF form. Just wondering if anyone has one - what your experiences are. Seems they are becoming more popular and mainstream. (Would be nice to get one with bluetooth enabled GPS!)

Goofy Footr
05-14-2010, 07:15 PM
They...fill in a niche... other than that theyre kind of useless. Kindles and such are pretty meh unless you just LOVE books.

If i were you id wait. Theres a bunch of new tablets coming down the pipe running a variation of OSes. You can bet each one will have their pros and cons (and an ereader app).

The WebOS tablet is gonna be pretty sick, and a much better alternative to the Ipads lame do one-thing-at-a-time system. Android looks semi promising too. And there'll be more than just modded phone OSes as well (although WebOS isnt just a phone OS as it can be scaled up much better as is than any other OS thats used on a phone).

The Chariot
05-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Not anything brand specific but I've found pretty much all the dedicated readers beat the iPad and other touchscreen style PCs because they don't have back lighting so they closely simulate the look of paper.

milkman
05-15-2010, 09:01 AM
I've heard the Nook from Barnes & Noble is very nice.

bilzer
05-15-2010, 11:34 AM
How are they for eye strain compared to reading a book?

Goofy Footr
05-16-2010, 12:12 PM
My mother has a Kindle and says she loves it. Her only complaint, funny enough, is that theres NOT a backlight for reading at night lol.

I guess where its electronic she expects it to work when its dark.

OpenRoad
05-16-2010, 09:45 PM
My mother has a Kindle and says she loves it. Her only complaint, funny enough, is that theres NOT a backlight for reading at night lol.

Get her a book light to go with her Kindle... :D

The Chariot
05-17-2010, 05:59 AM

LOL! That's the thing, you lose some versatility without the backlight, but reflective light has a softer, easier to read quality about it. The perfect solution would be backlight you could turn off. :)

Goofy Footr
05-17-2010, 11:42 AM

Get her a book light to go with her Kindle... :D

She has one. Theres just something about using an old fashioned book light with a new piece of technology that doesnt seem right.

TechnologiQ
05-17-2010, 11:30 PM
I went from a kindle to an iPad and will never look back. I love to read but I also like to read blogs, forums, etc and the iPad just makes it so easy.