PDA

View Full Version : Anybody good with computers?

unmamfqlm
07-25-2010, 08:49 PM
I have a game that I've been itching to play for a while, but come to find out, my disk is ruined. I do have it installed on my computer, but no disk means no playing the game for now. I did some research on cd patches and cracks, but I'm not exactly sure how to use them. I did find a patch and crack for my game, but again, I have no idea what to do with it. Can anybody shed some light on it for me?

yamaha1
07-25-2010, 09:09 PM
generally, what these "cracks" or "patches" for a game include is a replacement "exe" file and possibly some others as well. The 'exe' file will replace the one that was installed on your hard drive when the game was installed. Others replaced as required by the 'crack', 'patch', whatever...

Keep in mind that this is only allowed if actually own an original working copy of the game!! You are allowed to make a back up. If this was obtained by any means other than a legitimate purchase, this violates any copyright laws that the game is protected by. Also, if you try and play online with this cracked version...most likely your key will be banned from all servers, whether you did purchase this game legitimately or not.

unmamfqlm
07-25-2010, 11:07 PM
generally, what these "cracks" or "patches" for a game include is a replacement "exe" file and possibly some others as well. The 'exe' file will replace the one that was installed on your hard drive when the game was installed. Others replaced as required by the 'crack', 'patch', whatever...

Keep in mind that this is only allowed if actually own an original working copy of the game!! You are allowed to make a back up. If this was obtained by any means other than a legitimate purchase, this violates any copyright laws that the game is protected by. Also, if you try and play online with this cracked version...most likely your key will be banned from all servers, whether you did purchase this game legitimately or not.

Thanks. Oh yeah, I know. I bought the game a few years back, the disk ended up being scratched beyond belief. I actually got it to where it will somewhat work now, but I ran into another issue. The game loads to a certain point, then I get a run time error message, which causes the game to shut down. Any ideas on this one?

lostidentity
07-26-2010, 02:11 AM

Thanks. Oh yeah, I know. I bought the game a few years back, the disk ended up being scratched beyond belief. I actually got it to where it will somewhat work now, but I ran into another issue. The game loads to a certain point, then I get a run time error message, which causes the game to shut down. Any ideas on this one?

Need to be more specific on the game and error and what youre looking for is a no-cd patch. Google it.

unmamfqlm
07-26-2010, 12:21 PM

Need to be more specific on the game and error and what youre looking for is a no-cd patch. Google it.

Yes, I already have the patch and what not downloaded. Like I said, the game does load, but only to a certain point. The error message that I get is a c++ run time error R6025 pure virtual function call.

that guy
07-26-2010, 01:42 PM
how's the disk ruined if its scratched even heavily scratched you can try the toothpaste method it seems to work fine with all scratched cd's and dvds i have
Recovering Scratched CDs | Hardware Secrets (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/77)

video how to;

Remove CD/DVD Scratches With Toothpaste - Video

[quote=lostidentity;749936][quote=unmamfqlm;749915][quote=unmamfqlm;749891]

Yes, I already have the patch and what not downloaded. Like I said, the game does load, but only to a certain point. The error message that I get is a c++ run time error R6025 pure virtual function call.
i tried to play rollercoaster tycoon the other day there are not scratches on the cd it didnt work on my computer but it worked on my dad's I don't understand why it didnt work they both are running windows xp

unmamfqlm
07-26-2010, 01:57 PM
how's the disk ruined if its scratched even heavily scratched you can try the toothpaste method it seems to work fine with all scratched cd's and dvds i have
Recovering Scratched CDs | Hardware Secrets (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/77)

video how to;

Remove CD/DVD Scratches With Toothpaste - Video (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/855395/remove_cd_dvd_scratches_with_toothpaste/)

[quote=lostidentity;749936][quote=unmamfqlm;749915][quote=unmamfqlm;749891]

i tried to play rollercoaster tycoon the other day there are not scratches on the cd it didnt work on my computer but it worked on my dad's I don't understand why it didnt work they both are running windows xp

It's more than scratched. There's basically gashes in parts of it. My dog got ahold of it a while back.

Anthe
07-26-2010, 06:49 PM
From some quick reading that error seems to be caused by some loop-de-doo's in the source code gone awry. Two things I would check:

1)Make sure the patch was written for the particular operating system you are using
and
2)If the game has multiple versions (many games you can play online come out with slightly different versions over time), is it for the version of the game you already have installed (if it is just a .exe file). If the patch is for the wrong version it may be trying to reference things that do not exist in your version.

Frenzy
07-27-2010, 02:00 AM
I hope this isn't against forum rules, but technically this is legal, he has the CD...

GameCopyWorld - Mirrors - No-CD, No-DVD Patches, Game Fixes, Trainers & Cheats (http://www.gamecopyworld.com/)

unmamfqlm
07-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I hope this isn't against forum rules, but technically this is legal, he has the CD...

GameCopyWorld - Mirrors - No-CD, No-DVD Patches, Game Fixes, Trainers & Cheats (http://www.gamecopyworld.com/)

Yeah, from what I have heard and read, it's legal as long as you purchased the original copy, which I did. Thanks for that link. I actually looked there before hand, but I couldn't find exactly what I needed, although it was probably there. I'm computer stupid. Come to find out, I was using the wrong patch. I guess the titles of the links were reveresed on the site I got the patch from. I tried the one with the "wrong" version of my game, and it worked. Thanks to Anthe as well, helpful stuff.

that guy
07-29-2010, 11:21 AM

will this get my rollercoaster tycoon working?? haha ive been wanting to play it for a while now

unmamfqlm
08-04-2010, 12:53 PM

will this get my rollercoaster tycoon working?? haha ive been wanting to play it for a while now

I don't see why not, unless it's like my situation where they didn't have the right patch and what not. If you go to Youtube, and type in Roller Coaster Tycoon patch, somebody will probably have a link to the patch, along with step by step instructions. There are people showing how to get games for free, which is obviously illegal. Don't take that route.

johndoesix
08-16-2010, 09:18 AM
Depending on how long you've had he CD, some manufacturers might replace the disk for you. Call customer service to inquire. Assume you've checked the basic stuff too like possibly the operating system, anti-virus, firewalls, etc. Sometimes it is NOT the most obvious thing (scratched disk) causing the issue. BTDT too many times.