PDA

View Full Version : Is Speeding REALLY that Dangerous?

brasstownbald
08-05-2010, 02:35 PM
There's a lot of talk on this forum about evading the law. But I wonder just how dangerous a little excess speed really is. Modern vehicles are quite capable of speeds in excess of 100mph....but are they controllable at that speed?

Anyone know any statistics on fatal crashes and how often speed ALONE is the culprit? (Aren't there usually mitigating factors such as texting, alcohol, weather etc?)

Should the law permit higher speeds? Why or Why not? maybe drivers with "Safe" records could be allowed slightly higher limits ? Not sure how that would be managed but it's a thought.

Anyone else got any thoughts on this?

srtga
08-05-2010, 02:52 PM
I think 80 on the interstate would be reasonable. It's actually the de facto limit in a lot of areas of Georgia :lol:

So do they let it creep up until folks start dying or just change the signs one day :D

mahjong007
08-05-2010, 02:55 PM
I think 80 on the interstate would be reasonable. It's actually the de facto limit in a lot of areas of Georgia :lol:

So do they let it creep up until folks start dying or just change the signs one day :D

75-80 in city highways seems reasonable to me, open road highways-90 is about right. cities local 10over is about right.

djrams80
08-05-2010, 02:58 PM
A 2008 US DOT/NHTSA study on what causes traffic accidents found that excessive speed is the primary cause of only 5% of traffic accidents, while 41% of traffic accidents were caused by distracted drivers.

US DOT Report Confirms Speed Not Major Accident Cause (http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/26/2627.asp)

http://www.thenewspaper.com/rlc/docs/2008/us-crashcause.pdf

unmamfqlm
08-05-2010, 03:08 PM
It depends on many things in my opinion. There's definitely a big difference from excessively speeding and going 10 over. If the road is open, 15-20 over seems reasonable by me. If someone is doing 10-20 over while weaving through traffic and what not in a heavily populated area, well, that's just an accident waiting to happen. It really gets under my skin when somebody is driving like that. I've had many close calls from these kinds of people.

As long as a driver stays alert and aware of their surroundings, there's honestly not a whole lot of risk in my opinion, assuming again, the area isn't too populated. Common sense goes a long way when driving.

srtga
08-05-2010, 03:10 PM
A 2008 US DOT/NHTSA study on what causes traffic accidents found that excessive speed is the primary cause of only 5% of traffic accidents, while 41% of traffic accidents were caused by distracted drivers.

US DOT Report Confirms Speed Not Major Accident Cause (http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/26/2627.asp)

That DOT study looks like crap. "Speed too fast"? Is that MPH above PSL? How many miles over the PSL? Did they get it from officers reports?

Sounds like LEOs hold the keys to the US autobahn. They really set the limits through enforcement.

ka34.739
08-05-2010, 03:43 PM
it is very dangerous 5 or 10 mph can make a big difference in stopping distance.

YouTube - ‪Same Cop - speeding ad‬‎

Now you Tell me IS it really dangerous i think the answer speaks for it self.

pharmaboy
08-05-2010, 03:45 PM
none of these reports are simple -after reading pretty much all of them over the years, I reckon its causal in about 10-15% of fatal accidents. thats after you take out people who are drunk or drugged and also speeding, given the primary factor is their incapacitation.

the reason why "speeding" is targetted so much is its a surrogate for people not paying attention to what they are doing, and also people in a hurry. eg in the post above, the guy weaving through traffic is high risk AND speeding - authorities target the behaviour thats enforceable hoping to change the behaviour of the person whose also doing other things dangerously as part of their driving behaviour.

Its alll about correlation with risk, not causation.

jb2wheels
08-05-2010, 04:29 PM
My opinoins only:

yes dangerous in a school zone
yes dangerous in a residential area
yes dangerous in a congested area

not dangerous on our fantastic interstates
not dangerous on divided, limited access roads
not dangerous in rural areas to anybody but yourself

Driving to work everyday it's just not worth it to me other than the challenge of playing to game - not enough gain for the risk

Driving from TX to CA or MI or FL speeding can save hours of windshield time for low risk.

supercowpowers
08-05-2010, 04:38 PM
Extra speed decreases time available to perceive and react to hazards, increases stopping distance exponentially, and tends to multiply the effects of errors like trying to brake hard in a turn.

That said, even the government lets you go 65-75 MPH on the highway, which would be a colossally stupid idea in town, so it's all about the risks of a particular situation.

erickonphoenix
08-05-2010, 04:39 PM
No doubt speed is a contributing cause of accidents. But it's a conspicuous and easily measurable variable so I think it gets more attention than it deserves as an overall cause of accidents. I mean, you can obviously see where speed is a causal effect while road conditions, vehicle condition, driver condition and driver attentiveness are more abstract and harder to focus on.

This is why I'm a proponent of speed classed licensing with stricter vehicle and driver inspections. Then deregulate sections of the US interstate for these license carriers. I would gladly pay $500 - $1000 a year to wear the scarlet letter "S" on my license plate or carry a red green or blue tag designation that gets me into the fast lane. :cool:

superbolt
08-05-2010, 04:55 PM
My favorite is when in winter the county won't salt or plow the roads at night or on a weekend because of "overtime". Because if you get in to an accident they can always say "you were driving to fast "

WLH
08-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Most of the time driving around town and in residential area I drive like I am the Grand Marshal of The Rose Bowl parade. However, when on a road that I know and can safely push it a little....well....

It's not speed that kills...it's being stupid and reckless. In any identical crash situation, then it's certain that the higher the speed the more damage, injury, etc. That seems a pretty obvious.

I worked in public safety (Administrative Position) the past 20 years and the vast majority of accidents are not caused by speed but crass stupidity, driver inattention and sometimes just making a bad decision. It is however easier to blame speed, campaign and manage speed limits than to ask people to avoid being stupid and reckless.

srtga
08-05-2010, 05:03 PM
I would gladly pay $500 - $1000 a year to wear the scarlet letter "S" on my license plate or carry a red green or blue tag designation that gets me into the fast lane. :cool:

I want a big number and sponsor stickers...

Obsidian
08-05-2010, 05:08 PM
it is very dangerous 5 or 10 mph can make a big difference in stopping distance.

YouTube - ‪Same Cop - speeding ad‬‎ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOch9VuIpms)

LOL, that video was an over dramatic piece of propaganda trash.

I speed every day and have never had an accident, so it must be safe. :D

Z1NONLY
08-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Speeding isn't dangerous.

Stopping too quickly is.

Here is my rant on speed limits....

Originally Posted by Z1NONLY
The problem is that so many government agencies have cried "wolf" too many times. There is a stretch of road in Naples Florida that has 6 lanes, a divider, great visibility, and maybe 2 access points in a mile or two. Speed limit?...35mph. The cops are out there running laser quite often and generating a lot of revenue for the city/county government.

The speed limit gets decreed by the wizard of oz for all we citizens know. Yet we are all supposed to assume that the "government" picks the speed limit based on road conditions and safety concerns by "experts."

Speed limits have become similar to warning labels. They are often so ridiculous, ("do not use while bathing" on my wife’s blow dryer for instance, or "remove before driving" on the sun shades that cover the entire windshield of a car,) that nobody really puts much stock in them anymore. They drive the speed limit strictly to obey the government mandates and avoid the financial wrath of said government's. -not because they think another 10mph would put them or anyone else in jeopardy.

There are still traffic limits that are set in a thoughtful manner but they get lost in the noise of all the other nonsense out there.

My favorite example is the "advisory" signs for curves. In Florida, a "35mph" advisory sign means you can safely negotiate the turn in the rain, on four corded tires, through an oil slick, at say 45mph. Absolutely useless advisory speed signs in Florida. In WV though, I was surprised to find that their signs make sense. 35mph advisory means 45mph will make your tires sing and palms sweaty -under perfect conditions. IIRC the tail of the dragon's advisory signs are ok also.

With so many speed limits set artificially low, few people give them much credence. The only difference between most speed limits and the tag on my mattress that reads “DO NOT REMOVE UNDER PENALTY OF LAW” is that people don’t have to worry about getting a ticket on their mattress.

Eek
08-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Stupidity is the cause of most accidents. :stupid: "Speeding" (driving too fast for conditions) is caused by stupidity. Speed limits are a tax, nothing more, nothing less.

th3 factory freak
08-05-2010, 06:09 PM
It is dangerous to most people, since most people:

1. Don't pay attention.

2. Have never been on the race track.

3. Know nothing about vehicle dynamics, weight distribution, braking etc.

4. Too damn busy text messaging.

bmw330i
08-13-2010, 02:43 AM
I actually did a paper on this. It's not speeding that causes the crashes/deaths. It's the difference/variance in speed. A car traveling 35 mph in a 65 mph zone is (idk the exact number) MANY more times likely to get into a crash than if all traffic was traveling at 100 mph.

Most highways were made for the speed limit of 80+ anyway. The state's just need a reason to keep it low for revenue...

rocky2
08-13-2010, 07:34 AM
Since I have lived in ATL I don't think I have been over 40 mph the traffic sucks so bad. But I have had alot of close calls, I have almost been rear ended on the 400 a couple of times in stop and go traffic. I used to get on the interstate and drive 85mph to work that seemed safer than the garbage I have drive through everyday around here. Around here I don't think speed plays a big role in accidents, stupid people are the #1 cause. It's funny traffic just crawls, but you see accidents all over the place every morning I just don't get it.

Oyusan
08-13-2010, 10:31 AM

Thank you! Finally some actual research.

Extra speed decreases time available to perceive and react to hazards, increases stopping distance exponentially, and tends to multiply the effects of errors like trying to brake hard in a turn.

That said, even the government lets you go 65-75 MPH on the highway, which would be a colossally stupid idea in town, so it's all about the risks of a particular situation.

Yeah, but attention span increases reaction time. When I am driving 70 in a 70, my attention span is poor. It consists of keeping an eye on the road while day dreaming.

When I am 95+ in a 70 down the highway , I am paying complete attention to the road. I am watching all of the cars around me, all of the cars merging on and off. My attention span is devoted solely to the road and nothing else. I believe that speeding makes me a safer driver.

Also, to better increase my driving skills, I will be attending a high performance safety driving school next month. :) I am excited actually.

Idontgo55
08-13-2010, 03:42 PM

YouTube - ‪Same Cop - speeding ad‬‎

Depends on what you drive and how good you're breaks are :cool: 5-10 + wouldn't make anything On mine

Akosikojak
08-13-2010, 06:56 PM
This is why I'm a proponent of speed classed licensing with stricter vehicle and driver inspections. Then deregulate sections of the US interstate for these license carriers. I would gladly pay $500 - $1000 a year to wear the scarlet letter "S" on my license plate or carry a red green or blue tag designation that gets me into the fast lane. :cool:

Would agree w/ya, I would be a proponet of this.:cool:

Green Voodoo
08-13-2010, 11:54 PM
When Montana changed it's speed limit to "SAFE AND PRUDENT". Accidents did go down, but they found out that the do not pass zones needed to be lengthened to accommodate the higher speeds. The other problem was SLOW drivers. Tese issues were only on the 2-lane highways though. The Interstates were pretty safe......I remember passing a State Trooper when I was doing 90 or so. We waved at each other when I went by him. It was really comfortable driving back then and most people did about 80 to 90 MPH. There was the rare occasion when someone was clocked in the 130+ MPH.....

brasstownbald
09-24-2010, 10:16 AM
"Back then" there probably weren't as many people on crack, or drunk driving or festering road rage or here illegally without civic responsibility....so it probably was safer....or at least I would think.

I'm not sure that policy would work today?

But anyone who BELIEVES all these traffic "gotchas" enforced today are strictly about safety are probably mistaken.
It's more about money and power grabbing now. How in the world are "WE" going to turn this all around???