PDA

View Full Version : Good program for remote computer use.

StlouisX50
08-25-2010, 10:34 AM
I used this program to fix my dads computer from my house. It was easy to set up , easy to use and had no issues.

Thought I would share it with you all.

I had used logmein in the past and this program is far better and free.

http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

QuickCummins
08-25-2010, 01:52 PM
gona try it

Obsidian
08-25-2010, 07:00 PM
UltraVNC is good and free as well.

http://www.uvnc.com/

kpatz
08-25-2010, 07:25 PM
I use RealVNC on my systems, it's nice since Linux has VNC servers/clients as well so I can remote into Windows from Linux and vice versa. :)

Setting it up to remote someone else's system is more work though, especially from a security standpoint. For these folks I install PuTTY (SSH client) and set it up to log into my home server, then I use a tunnel to VNC in. That way it isn't wide open to the world, even I can only get in if they start the SSH session from their end, and it solves the issue of finding out what their IP is if it changes.

srtga
08-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Can you fix mine now :eek:

krypton2
08-26-2010, 12:16 PM
I will second the OP's comments. I've used TeamViewer for years and it's always worked to my needs.

However, I would say that TeamViewer works better as a support program rather than a remote desktop program (to access your own computer). The setup (username/password) and settings are set up more for two people, one on each computer, to change and provide. For that, anyhow, it does work well. I've done everything from group editing of Word documents to changing wireless settings, with ease, using it.

There's other programs that may work better if you're just trying to do remote desktop of your own computer, to access files or whatever you need, in my opinion.

StlouisX50
08-27-2010, 08:50 AM
Can you fix mine now :eek:
Whats wrong with your computer? I'M no pro but would be glad to try and help you.

protias
09-01-2010, 02:29 PM
I use logmein.

StlouisX50
09-02-2010, 08:40 AM
I use logmein.

I do on the old computer, but will be switching soon. It has too many limitations and is super slow.

Frenzy
11-24-2010, 06:08 PM
TeamViewer is great, but there is also CrossLoop. If you haven't found a solution yet.