PDA

View Full Version : SMT component ID

srtga
10-09-2010, 09:03 PM
Anyone have any idea what that little crispy thing in the right corner is? It looks just like those other parts in the red boxes.

It's an HID ballast.

http://i711.photobucket.com/albums/ww112/jhoff/smt.jpg

srtga
10-10-2010, 11:51 AM
I asked them at Radio Shack and they tried to sell me a phone...

Motor On
10-11-2010, 11:39 AM
Stab in the dark but it looks like a resistor to me. If you go left the the krispy one you can see a row of ones like you high lighted and some smaller ones. Do you have a Haynes manual with wiring diagram?

AirMoore
10-12-2010, 10:46 AM
Flux capacitors?

I agree with resistors, but what did you do to the board? Water+Corrosion?

aa2033
10-12-2010, 10:50 AM
is that a denso ballast?

srtga
10-12-2010, 04:57 PM
No, it's a Valeo. I don't think it's a resistor because there are several round resistors with bands. These are just little beige blocks. If it's something that I could get at RS I may try to fix it for sh!ts and giggles.

I'm guessing it's some kind of weird high-freq AC doo-dad. Makes me think of a TIG welder for some reason...

Yea, it looks like some water must have got into the headlights. The ballasts are mounted at the bottom of the housings.

Lucky225
10-20-2010, 12:46 AM

Sign of the 00s

kpatz
10-20-2010, 09:42 AM
If it's a HID ballast, you have 2 of them, right? (1 for each headlight). Open up the good one and see if you can read the numbers on the parts. They're probably resistors, could be capacitors, if you can't make out the numbers on them, measure them with an ohmmeter.

Tate350
10-20-2010, 01:10 PM
The parts at the top are NOT resistors. They are MLCC (multi-Layer Creamic Capacitors). They look like 1206 in size.

I cannot tell what's at the lower right.

Swamp
10-29-2010, 09:13 PM
The parts at the top are capacitors as Tate said. The ones on the bottom right might be ferrite beads. They are used (in very simple terms) to capture & dissipate electromagnetic energy waves that travel on the outside of wires or other conductors.

srtga
10-30-2010, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the input on this one guys! I may try to fix this this thing at some point.

Swamp
11-03-2010, 06:38 AM
I just re-read your post and realized that you said the two items at the lower right were the same as the others you had marked with red rectangles, so they are also capacitors. My bad.
Desolder the two fried caps and measure their resistance with a multimeter; a good cap will measure open or infinite resistance, but these two could show shorted as in barely a few ohms. Its also possible for a cap to short out and overheat, and then burn to the point where it is open again. Measure the size of the unburnt ones and I'll see if I have any that will interchange. The size "1206" Tate mentioned above means .12" x .06", but I think they are quite a bit larger

swarga
11-03-2010, 08:29 AM

"You got questions? We got shrugs!"

ahmadr
11-09-2010, 10:14 AM
The parts at the top are NOT resistors. They are MLCC (multi-Layer Creamic Capacitors). They look like 1206 in size.

I cannot tell what's at the lower right.

Wow! An intelligent newcomer, who is probably using the search button and reading (vs. asking age old questions). Welcome aboard, it's a pleasure having you here :)