PDA

View Full Version : Types of RADAR (POP?) & LIDAR used in RI/MA

cardosor
01-20-2006, 08:15 AM
Hi guys,

I'm looking for info on what radar bands are most prevelant in RI and South Eastern MA, both for the state troopers as well as the local town cops. If you live in the area, can you provide some intel?

Specifically, is POP :shock: used in the area?

I've tried getting purchasing records from both states for that equipment but haven't been able to get any info at all.

Essentially I'm trying to determine what the threat risk of encountering POP is in my area as I'm shopping around for a RD and need to know if I need to worry about POP or not. Some very good deals can be had on non-POP RD's right now.

Thanks for any intel.

Ric

PS If anyone in the nearby states of CT, VT, NH, ME & NY have info on POP use in their state, please speak up...

kpatz
01-20-2006, 08:19 AM
There's POP in NY and CT, but none of the other states you listed IIRC.

Mostly K, Ka, and laser in some areas. I've heard reports of X in MA and NY, but none in NH that I know of.

MA staties primarily use Ultralyte and LTI Marksman for Lidar. NH primarily uses ProLaser II and III.

cardosor
01-20-2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks kpatz!

Up in your neck of the woods (NH) they also like using airplane tracking. A buddy of mine got a hefty ticket for that, his X50 didn't save him of course.

Sunday afternoons when all the RI/MA/CT folks are headed home after a weekend up there. NH getting a bit more $$$ out of the tourists... Wonder if the tourism council pays for the pilot and fuel for that :lol:

Suf Daddy
01-20-2006, 06:27 PM
Rt 6 The State Police are STILL using the LTI MArksman.....................as of Dec 2005

Mass has Lasser Atlanta?
-Suf Daddy

There's POP in NY and CT, but none of the other states you listed IIRC.

Mostly K, Ka, and laser in some areas. I've heard reports of X in MA and NY, but none in NH that I know of.

MA staties primarily use Ultralyte and Laser Atlanta for Lidar. NH primarily uses ProLaser II and III.

kpatz
01-21-2006, 08:08 AM
Maine uses airplane VASCAR as well as NH. Look for the hash marks on the side of the highway.

Suf Daddy, my memory could be faulty on the LA in Mass. I thought I saw a post here mentioning it one time. Early-onset Alzheimers, or maybe brain damage from all that Ka band radiation. ;)

I edited my post, perhaps it was the Marksman I was reading about, not the LA.

brick
01-21-2006, 09:02 AM
No, you were right. LA has been reported in MA on several occasions. I can confirm at least one X-band unit on a marked state patrol car, and I have never had reason to believe that POP is used in either MA or RI. RI does use quite a bit of instant K and Ka as far as I have seen.