PDA

View Full Version : More computer issues...

unmamfqlm
12-01-2010, 01:14 PM
I don't know what it is, but I've had more computer/software issues this year than I've had in my entire life. My problem now is with my Internet Explorer browser. It's worked rather flawlessly for the few years that I've had it. Anyhow, I went to get on it today, and it keeps saying "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem," then "A problem has caused the program to stop working correctly." Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available." It's not my internet connection, because I am now using my Fire Fox browser now, and everything is fine. I'm not sure where to start with this little issue. Any ideas?

Weeth
12-01-2010, 02:40 PM
I've heard several people say "internet explorer is the best browser for downloading another browser." To be honest, it just sucks. Try google chrome. Once you get used to it you'll love it.

I also like safari, but give chrome a try. It's faster than IE.

If you still want to use it, get rid of some of the extra bs, like plugins and unnecessary toolbars. It may be closing because it's overwhelmed... Clear the cookies and temporary internet files under internet options (i think).

Let me know if that helps... I still recommend that you try google chrome though!

unmamfqlm
12-01-2010, 02:47 PM
I've heard several people say "internet explorer is the best browser for downloading another browser." To be honest, it just sucks. Try google chrome. Once you get used to it you'll love it.

I also like safari, but give chrome a try. It's faster than IE.

If you still want to use it, get rid of some of the extra bs, like plugins and unnecessary toolbars. It may be closing because it's overwhelmed... Clear the cookies and temporary internet files under internet options (i think).

Let me know if that helps... I still recommend that you try google chrome though!

Thanks for the info, but it is now working. I guess Explorer was down for a bit or something. I may give Chrome a shot; I've heard a lot of good things about it. I hear a lot of people looking down on Internet Explorer, but I really like the setup of it. Then again, I've never tried anything else, except for Fire Fox, but that was just for college compatibility purposes.

Weeth
12-01-2010, 02:51 PM
Glad it's working... The problem with IE (and several windows OS's) is that they've got too much bs... Just extra stuff that runs in the background. All this slows you down.

I just looked it up online. What i previously called plug-ins (mac term i guess) are actually add-ons.

If you want to read more about disabling specific ones that cause IE to crash, type "internet explorer crashes" in google and click the first result.

unmamfqlm
12-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Glad it's working... The problem with IE (and several windows OS's) is that they've got too much bs... Just extra stuff that runs in the background. All this slows you down.

I just looked it up online. What i previously called plug-ins (mac term i guess) are actually add-ons.

If you want to read more about disabling specific ones that cause IE to crash, type "internet explorer crashes" in google and click the first result.

I appreciate it. I'll have a look at that.

Hunter
12-01-2010, 03:39 PM
with goodle chrome,it would be smooth sailing.

IE do have issues with that stop working etc.,It is not yours alone.

dtraill27
12-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Try to uninstall any toolbars that may have been added on to internet explorer by other programs you have installed. Also a program called CCleaner is a free easy temp file remover to get your browsing history cleared up. Also if the problem persists you can go into internet explorer options and reset the browser back to default. I also recommend Chrome its quick and simple.

unmamfqlm
12-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Try to uninstall any toolbars that may have been added on to internet explorer by other programs you have installed. Also a program called CCleaner is a free easy temp file remover to get your browsing history cleared up. Also if the problem persists you can go into internet explorer options and reset the browser back to default. I also recommend Chrome its quick and simple.

Yeah, I've been through the toolbar bs before. I had the Yahoo toolbar for a while, and then realized that was causing issues. As for CCleaner, I have and use that regularly. I like that program a lot.

Sector_15504
12-01-2010, 04:33 PM
just flat out reformat, i do it once a year, gives you a clean start, especially if you haven't done it in years

category4
12-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I use Google Chrome, I like it, simple and works all the time. Occasionally there are web pages that chrome won't load properly that I use IE for, but it's rare.

Hunter
12-02-2010, 12:15 AM
just flat out reformat, i do it once a year, gives you a clean start, especially if you haven't done it in years

I totally agree with you on this.I try to also back up regulary and do it.
I have noticed a great improvement in performance..
I guess like starting out new again!!

unmamfqlm
12-02-2010, 11:54 AM

Is reformatting a daunting task? I've heard a lot about it, and I probably need to do it, but I've never attempted it.

Sector_15504
12-02-2010, 12:12 PM

Is reformatting a daunting task? I've heard a lot about it, and I probably need to do it, but I've never attempted it.

its actually easier that most people think, but it CAN be time consuming....

Checklist:

OEM CD/DVD
CD key
USB thumb drive with lastest drivers and virus program
6 hours

1: Back-Up all data.
2: Put Windows CD into drive
3: Reboot, wait for prompt to press any key to load CD
4. When prompted to fix install, say NO!
5. now you should see a screen where you can select the drive where you can install your install again. your going to want to DELETE your INSTALL PARTITION ONLY! This usually means pressing D on the SELECTED partition, and deleting ALL contents of data (Once done, this can NOT be undone).
6. Now recreate the partition (you can now create multiple partitions if you wish)
7. Do the full reformat (not the quick format).
8. Walk away for about 1-2 hours.
9. Come back and finish off the few menus to finsish the install.
10. You should be windows now, install anti-virus protection, and system drivers (sound, video, other major important drivers)
11. Update windows fully
12. Reinstall programs
13. Your done!

This may seem daunting looking at that step list, but you do it once, it never seems hard again. If you back up your data, you have noting really to worry about. You wont break anything in your system hardware wise, the only thing you might mess up is deleting and recreating the partition. You do this to fully wipe the drive (altho your really not wiping the drive).

If you need help, let me know. If you decide to go through with it, PM me if you want my cell number for a help line ;). Its really not that bad, but the first time is always the most nerve racking time..... its all really idiot proof if you just use logic....

unmamfqlm
12-02-2010, 12:56 PM

its actually easier that most people think, but it CAN be time consuming....

Checklist:

OEM CD/DVD
CD key
USB thumb drive with lastest drivers and virus program
6 hours

1: Back-Up all data.
2: Put Windows CD into drive
3: Reboot, wait for prompt to press any key to load CD
4. When prompted to fix install, say NO!
5. now you should see a screen where you can select the drive where you can install your install again. your going to want to DELETE your INSTALL PARTITION ONLY! This usually means pressing D on the SELECTED partition, and deleting ALL contents of data (Once done, this can NOT be undone).
6. Now recreate the partition (you can now create multiple partitions if you wish)
7. Do the full reformat (not the quick format).
8. Walk away for about 1-2 hours.
9. Come back and finish off the few menus to finsish the install.
10. You should be windows now, install anti-virus protection, and system drivers (sound, video, other major important drivers)
11. Update windows fully
12. Reinstall programs
13. Your done!

This may seem daunting looking at that step list, but you do it once, it never seems hard again. If you back up your data, you have noting really to worry about. You wont break anything in your system hardware wise, the only thing you might mess up is deleting and recreating the partition. You do this to fully wipe the drive (altho your really not wiping the drive).

If you need help, let me know. If you decide to go through with it, PM me if you want my cell number for a help line ;). Its really not that bad, but the first time is always the most nerve racking time..... its all really idiot proof if you just use logic....

Awesome man. I did a bit of research on it, and I believe I'm convinced to do it. When I do (not sure when) I just may take you up on the help line offer ha. I don't want to screw anything up!

supercowpowers
12-02-2010, 01:10 PM
Make sure you have the drivers for your network card/wireless adapter before you delete anything, or else you could be quite screwed if they're not on the Windows disk and you only have one computer. Your computer manufacturer's website should have all your drivers available.

Experience is a terrible teacher. It gives you the test first, then the lesson...