PDA

View Full Version : iPhone app called DriveMeCrazy, which allows you to digitally jot down a license plat

NormSky
12-18-2010, 05:43 PM
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/18/drivemecrazy-app-provides-outlet-for-virtual-tattle-tales/

Kwaz
12-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I don't think this will have a long life as it is now, but it may evolve into something more substantive. What? IDK. I bet its development was funded by GEICO or the like though.

category4
12-18-2010, 07:15 PM
I'm going to start reporting everyone!!!

TRun
12-18-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm going to start reporting everyone!!!
bingo that will kill it real quick

krypton2
12-18-2010, 08:25 PM
There's like 50 of these websites and they're all a joke...people report other drivers for stupid stuff most of the time. The screenshot in that article makes it look pretty cool but I doubt it will ever serve a legitimate, wide-use purpose.

supercowpowers
12-19-2010, 05:54 AM
The DMV doesn't even want to hear about violations observed by a police officer until it's been proven in court. What makes these people think they'd want to keep track of every report of someone driving faster than Sally McSlowass?

philip01
12-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Hi folks – Philip, CEO DriveMeCrazy, writing here.

As some of you correctly pointed out, cops (in the US) cannot issue tickets and insurance companies cannot increase your premium based on DriveMeCrazy flags. Both (rightfully) operate in a strict legal framework which we are not part of. Our goal is simply pointing out the potentially bad drivers on the road. Similar programs have made significant positive impact e.g. trucks with 1800 How’s My Driving (citing up to 30% less accidents) and HERO in Washington state (lowest carpool violation rate in the country), etc. Our goal is to provide people with constructive feedback (many bad drivers are not aware of the impact they have on the majority of the good drivers). Part of this effort involves creating an open system. For what it is worth, we have numerous checks and balances in place to detect malicious or frivolous use, and remove suspicious flags accordingly. A next version of the app will provide the flagger with instant feedback as to whether a flag is rejected or accepted.

Check out our FAQ at http://drivemecrazy.mobi/faq.php or email us and we will do our best to respond quickly. From the entire team at DriveMeCrazy, drive safely.

category4
12-19-2010, 01:32 PM

As some of you correctly pointed out, cops (in the US) cannot issue tickets and insurance companies cannot increase your premium based on DriveMeCrazy flags. Both (rightfully) operate in a strict legal framework which we are not part of. Our goal is simply pointing out the potentially bad drivers on the road. Similar programs have made significant positive impact e.g. trucks with 1800 How’s My Driving (citing up to 30% less accidents) and HERO in Washington state (lowest carpool violation rate in the country), etc. Our goal is to provide people with constructive feedback (many bad drivers are not aware of the impact they have on the majority of the good drivers). Part of this effort involves creating an open system. For what it is worth, we have numerous checks and balances in place to detect malicious or frivolous use, and remove suspicious flags accordingly. A next version of the app will provide the flagger with instant feedback as to whether a flag is rejected or accepted.

Check out our FAQ at http://drivemecrazy.mobi/faq.php or email us and we will do our best to respond quickly. From the entire team at DriveMeCrazy, drive safely.

The problem with your app is that the bad drivers are the ones that will be reporting everyone else. The bad drivers actually think they are good. They think you are supposed to ride in the left lane at 5 below PSL and they wonder why someone gets upset and cuts them off. Bad idea and bad app. Report me to my insurance company and I'll let my lawyer do my talking!!

unrlmth
12-19-2010, 01:42 PM

The problem with your app is that the bad drivers are the ones that will be reporting everyone else. The bad drivers actually think they are good. They think you are supposed to ride in the left lane at 5 below PSL and they wonder why someone gets upset and cuts them off. Bad idea and bad app. Report me to my insurance company and I'll let my lawyer do my talking!!

Not to mention that you are giving people another reason to take their eyes off the road. Even though you can speak the license plate number, you still have to be scrolling through the apps on the iPhone and enter in the rest of the data. Most people aren't going to pull off the road to enter it. They will just do it when they are driving and in the end create a worse situation.

category4
12-19-2010, 01:44 PM

Not to mention that you are giving people another reason to take their eyes off the road. Even though you can speak the license plate number, you still have to be scrolling through the apps on the iPhone and enter in the rest of the data. Most people aren't going to pull off the road to enter it. They will just do it when they are driving and in the end create a worse situation.

This application has fail written all over it. If the intention is to make the roads safer, just pull the app off the market. That would be a great first step. The reason most of the drivers are bad is they are already doing other things rather than concentrating on driving!!!

TRun
12-19-2010, 01:45 PM

Great idea let people use their phones while driving even more. *rolleyes* Despite all the bans going in place against cell use while driving. You want to make "good" drivers get distracted? I don't know about where you drive but where I live there is a major problem with clueless distracted drivers even with a cell ban. These apps are going in the wrong direction.

Kwaz
12-19-2010, 05:50 PM

Great idea let people use their phones while driving even more. *rolleyes* Despite all the bans going in place against cell use while driving. You want to make "good" drivers get distracted? I don't know about where you drive but where I live there is a major problem with clueless distracted drivers even with a cell ban. These apps are going in the wrong direction.

But hey...if there's money in it...whatever...this program is garbage and encourages an even worse behavoir than that of the typical speeder. If you have a real problem with a "bad" driver there is a number you can call that may actually make a difference.

Creativity - 0 (there are other failures like this out there)
Necessity - 0 (911 is the tool for real problems on the road)
Usefulness - 0 (this only makes the user feel good, nothing else)
Danger Factor - High (this is worse that texting while driving)

and the flirt feature...dont't even get me started on that one...tisk, tisk

but hey...nice app, hope it does well.

Weeth
12-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Wow! That's ridiculous. Stuff like this drives me crazy. iPhones are distracting enough! I just can't believe the crap that's in the app store these days...

I can't wait for a "good driver" to rear end me while reporting me for not signaling. Unbelievable!

It'd be hilarious for a "good driver" to get stopped in a school zone for cell phone use too.

OldGoat
12-23-2010, 08:40 AM
quick, narc on your neighbor

marketing anarchy as civic responsibility

tjbender
12-24-2010, 02:20 AM
From the DriveMeCrazy FAQ:

Yes, we submit a summary of all bad driving flags the various Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) on a regular basis. We don't know, however, what they do with it (if anything at all).

I'm sorry, but I have a VERY serious problem with information that could be used to identify me being posted and rated online without my consent. I have an even bigger problem with a wannabe cyber-cop sending any information collected about me to the DMV.

If the app were limited to allowing you to rate only drivers who are registered, that would be one thing. Here's what I see happening, though: some piss-poor driver gets mad at me for holding my lane instead of jamming my brakes to let them in. They report my tag. Being that I'm not registered on your site, there is now a database being formed on me without my consent, and I have no access to it because I refuse to sign up for your "service". If you're going to put out an app like this which allows drivers who haven't signed up to be rated, then at least do the honorable thing and give those of us who choose not to have our information posted on the internet for everyone to see an "opt-out" option.

Nothing personal, but I hope your app and the extreme violation of privacy it represents crash and burn in dramatic fashion, preferably after a lawsuit or two.

category4
12-24-2010, 05:13 AM
I just hope my insurance company tells me my rate went up due to information obtained from this app. I've never owned an app company before but I'm certainly going to try if something like this does happen.

dorcse
12-24-2010, 02:15 PM
Complete nonsense. These people better hope and pray my tag never shows up on their site. And if a civil class action is ever filed against them, count me in.

tjbender
12-24-2010, 03:58 PM
I'll say it one more time--give us the option to opt-out of being rated (and certainly to opt-out of having our information submitted to DMVs and insurance companies).

A non-government agency building a database on people without their knowledge or consent and attempting to use that database to influence their driving record and insurance costs sounds like a multi-million dollar class action suit waiting to happen.

Does anyone have any way we can contact some bigwig at Apple directly and ask him to pull this app from the store? It's got everything from privacy to Constitutional rights to simple safety concerns working against it, and I don't think I'm in the minority here when I say that I want it gone, and I want this Phillip guy back at his day job behind the counter at Best Buy.

category4
12-24-2010, 04:15 PM
Notice Phillip has nothing more to say on this subject. I wonder if he's hiding! I did download the app just so I could see if/when someone posts any info about my vehicle. When they do I'll hand it to my wife and let her have some fun for a while!! They had better have some video evidence, as I keep all my video stored!!

Weeth
12-24-2010, 07:25 PM
This app got whooped in the app store. It's got 44 one star ratings!

category4
12-24-2010, 07:28 PM
It did not deserve even a 1 star rating!!! Maybe people see it for what it is, another distraction while driving!

Weeth
12-24-2010, 07:36 PM
It did not deserve even a 1 star rating!!! Maybe people see it for what it is, another distraction while driving!

I agree. It's a terrible idea. One of the sample images in itunes is quite ironic though. Check the violation:

TRun
12-24-2010, 07:47 PM

I agree. It's a terrible idea. One of the sample images in itunes is quite ironic though. Check the violation:

They just dug their own grave and now getting ready for the eternal rest

Batman
12-24-2010, 08:20 PM
I hate left lane hogs. If this were a lawless country like Mexico, I would chase them to their home and give them a ****ing beating that would make sure they don't venture on my road again!

Just kidding. Sort of.

tjbender
12-26-2010, 12:10 AM

Yes, because nothing says "encouraging safer driving" like requiring drivers to list the plate number, vehicle make, model and color, and a description of the "offense" while probably doing five under the PSL in the left lane, causing two more cars to pass them on the right and become the subject of future "tickets".

Have I made my hatred for this app clear enough yet? I'm still trying to find a way to contact Apple and appeal to them to remove this app from their store entirely, because it encourages distracted driving and turns the app's creator into a wannabe vigilante.

Batman
12-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Have I made my hatred for this app clear enough yet? I'm still trying to find a way to contact Apple and appeal to them to remove this app from their store entirely, because it encourages distracted driving and turns the app's creator into a wannabe vigilante.

It's easy to contact apple about it. Go to the app store on your iPhone. Search for the app drive me crazy. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select report a problem. Report the issue.

Batman
12-27-2010, 08:15 AM
I reported the problem to Apple as follows:

This app is dangerous. It encourages drivers to break laws relating to operation of a mobile phone while in motion. Using this app as intended would violate texting while driving laws of 28 states. And driving while operating mobile phone laws of 9 states.

It encourages drivers to write up a ticket including vehicle make, model, year, plate and description of offense while driving. Following someone while trying to type a license plate into this app is likely to cause accidents.

App is dangerous, encourages unlawful activity, and should be banned.

Jstglockem
12-27-2010, 11:45 AM
What tool came up with this idea. I am sure it was a group of non drivers that drive caravans and take Steven choir practice. Or getting 3 Big macs and a diet coke.

Bunch of Bull****

SpeedUp
12-27-2010, 12:15 PM
If the app were limited to allowing you to rate only drivers who are registered, that would be one thing. Here's what I see happening, though: some piss-poor driver gets mad at me for holding my lane instead of jamming my brakes to let them in. They report my tag. Being that I'm not registered on your site, there is now a database being formed on me without my consent, and I have no access to it because I refuse to sign up for your "service". If you're going to put out an app like this which allows drivers who haven't signed up to be rated, then at least do the honorable thing and give those of us who choose not to have our information posted on the internet for everyone to see an "opt-out" option.

Nothing personal, but I hope your app and the extreme violation of privacy it represents crash and burn in dramatic fashion, preferably after a lawsuit or two.

^^Big X2. I'll bet so much money this thing gets a serious lawsuit. I know if I came up on this dumb site I'd notify my lawyer that we were about to get very rich. BTW Reporting these violations to the DMV is completely pointless. The DMV takes no actions and immediately throws this away. Do you know why the DMV does this? Because they don't want to get sued. This is a complete violation of privacy and BS from wanna be traffic cops who don't know how to drive in the first place. It's like calling 911 and telling the police that I'm witnessing a car speeding down the road. They go "ok I'll send a lookout for them." You don't just get a ticket because of what others said, a sworn Law Enforcement Officer must witness the violation and make a stop. Nice App, see you in court sometime soon.

What tool came up with this idea. I am sure it was a group of non drivers that drive caravans and take Steven choir practice. Or getting 3 Big macs and a diet coke.

Bunch of Bull****

^^Ding ding ding winner. This is complete bull**** some soccer moms with sand in their vagina came up with. :D

tjbender
12-27-2010, 02:22 PM
It's easy to contact apple about it. Go to the app store on your iPhone. Search for the app drive me crazy. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and select report a problem. Report the issue.

Ok...

So, um, wanna buy me an iPhone? :D

Jstglockem
12-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Please let us know if anyone on here thinks this is a great idea.

TRun
12-27-2010, 05:24 PM
Please let us know if anyone on here thinks this is a great idea.

Its a great idea to report it as a dangerous app.

Kwaz
12-27-2010, 09:15 PM
All the hate of this app nearly brought a tear to my eye. I am so proud of this community. Forest for the trees man. Where's my beer?

Batman
12-28-2010, 09:24 AM
This is the consequence of typing on a phone while driving. That's why we all hate the app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DebhWD6ljZs&feature=player_embedded

CancerJCC
01-03-2011, 11:33 AM
This is the consequence of typing on a phone while driving. That's why we all hate the app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DebhWD6ljZs&feature=player_embedded

Word. I stopped when he said about the cap and gown. People don't think of the consequences of their actions. Sad.

samq45
01-04-2011, 12:44 PM
I think we should all get Create-a-Plates copies of Phillip's (CEO) Plate. Lets all drive like asses and let the people report him.

There is a reason there is due process (most of the time). What is to prevent people from making crap up and who knows who is even driving the car.

Leave the enforcement to the professionals, not people who are clueless, angry or just playing tricks.

tjbender
02-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Hey guys, this is up to two stars in the AppStore with the latest version. Time for you iPhone users to get back out there and drag the corpse of this app along the floor again.

category4
02-01-2011, 04:10 PM
Hey guys, this is up to two stars in the AppStore with the latest version. Time for you iPhone users to get back out there and drag the corpse of this app along the floor again.

I will after Thursday when I order the new Verizon iPhone.

tjbender
02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
Have my wife or I shown up on there yet Cat4?

category4
02-01-2011, 04:38 PM
I have not checked in a month or so, as of then you had not.

TTmonster
02-01-2011, 08:57 PM
I don't want anybody to rat me out!! I use the Motor Mail app. You can leave anonymous messages for any license plate without connecting your name or email to your license plate.