PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION FOR VEIL GUY

happya$$
12-04-2004, 04:31 AM
I have a black 2002 Honda Civic HX. I am going to buy the Veil but I was wondering if a black bra would do anything for me since my car is already black.

Radar Roy
12-04-2004, 10:08 AM
If your car is already black I don't see how this would help for laser..

Veil Guy
12-06-2004, 12:18 PM
While I tend to agree with Roy's assessment that by treating your headlights, foglights, etc with Veil on a black car will, by far an away, provide you with great results and that practically you will not likely see any further real improvement with the use of a black bra - I would like to point to the theoretical benefit of doing so.

Since a car's paint is shiny by nature, hot-spot reflections can and do occur particularly on the edges. Depending on the actual shape of your front you may or may not have such phenomena taking place here.

One way to determine this is to take a flashlight in the evening and point it at your vehicle from about 50 or so paces. You should encompass the entire front of your car with the beam. Examine where you see the most reflectively of your light source.

You will then have an idea one what needs treatment.

In all of my testing over the years (which amounts to many hundreds of hours) - with all sorts of cars, colors, and laser guns - we have found the most reflective objects of a vehicle which contribute to your visual signature are (in decreasing significance):

1- Front Plate
2- Front Headlights
3- Front Foglights
4- Front Parking Lamps, Directional Indicators
5- Shape of Vehicle (how much is perpendicular to the road or laser gun)
6- Color of Vehicle
7- Chrome Usage and its Pattern

Notice that the color of the vehicle ranks 6 out of 7. If you manage to address the first five, you are going to be in pretty good shape.

As a percentage of total reduction using a black bra to reduce the effect of shiny black probably won't amount to much practical improvement.

On lighter cars, yes it would make a real impact. 8)

The Veil (http://www.veil.us) Guy

happya$$
12-06-2004, 04:08 PM
I have a black 2002 Honda Civiv HX. So basically I should not waste my time with the bra

Veil Guy
12-06-2004, 07:36 PM
My wife and sister both drive late model Civics. My sister's is dark green and Veil did quite nicely with that car.

You've got a couple of things going for you other than just the black color namely 1) the car isn't that wide in the front so there is less total area for the laser to hit and 2) its a pretty pointy car with much of the front sloping nicely upwards and away from the laser source.

Veil does especially well on cars like this because of the big downard/upward sloping of the composite headlight covers. When Veil is applied to them, whatever little reflection is left (and I do mean litte) angles away from the source of the laser gun!

Bottom line a good detector and Veil should certainly do the trick unless you wanted the holy grail of absolute invisibility down to zero. In that case, an M20 would certainly do the trick as well.

Good luck. 8)

happya$$
12-07-2004, 03:54 PM
So in general what is the best car to own in terms of laser defense and worst?

Veil Guy
12-07-2004, 04:44 PM
Personally I would take a Ferrari, Lamborghini, or Aston of ANY color and be happy.

But, seriously, the best car for laser immunity out of the box would be on the order of a black C4, C5, or Firehawk - retractable headlights (a huge plus),
pointed front profile; no front plate - you get the idea...

Worst - My guess would be something like a White/Metallic Silver Escalade or Mack truck. Lots of lights, huge front-end - you get the idea...

Basically anthing like looks like a brick with wheels won't be good.

Anything looking like a fighter jet has the potential to really do well with laser.

A great way to tell where your particular vehicle fairs in this spectrum is by illuminating the front with a flashlight or torch. If you see a lot of reflected light, its not as stealthy as one that doesn't reflect as much back to you.

Once you get the hang of it, you can pretty much tell just by looking at a car day or night.

See you at the Auto Toy Store (http://www.thenewautotoystore.com/showrooms.htm). :shock:

happya$$
12-07-2004, 05:31 PM
So Veil Guy what do you think as far as what Blinder I need for my Mitsubishi 2003 Montero Sport? I already bought your product. Do you think that I need the M20 or M40?

Ray Maines
12-07-2004, 07:07 PM
The M-20 covers the front, the M-40 covers both ends.

Things can change, but right now a Laser gun has to be stationary so I'm thinking that the front only M-20 is good enough. It seems much less likely that you would be zapped from the rear.

FWIW: My local traffic policeman buddy tells me that less than 20% of the "Radar" units in use in my area (Seattle/Tacoma, WA) are laser. If that's true, we should spend less energy worrying about laser and more energy practicing our radar avoidance skills.

As you know, radar jammers are highly illegal and mostly ineffective anyway but laser blockers are both legal and effective, although expensive. I'm looking forward to the day when laser guns are as common as dirt. I'll buy a M-20 for the motorcycle and a M-40 for every car I drive and be a happy camper.

Veil Guy
12-08-2004, 08:41 AM
Can you post a PIC of the front of your vehicle?

If not what's the color and the options that would affect the appearance of the front, if any?

The Veil (http://www.veil.us) Guy 8)

Veil Guy
12-08-2004, 09:09 PM
happya$$,

May I suggest you try this?

At night shine a flash light at the front of your vehicle at a distance that illuminates the entire front. Areas that reflect back the light should also be the ones that are treated with Veil.

If you see other areas reflecting back a lot of light that which are not treated and/or can't be treated then a Blinder may be a safe bet for your particular vehicle given its size. Remember the areas reflecting back that are of concern are the areas that a perpendicular to the light source (ie; windshields are not an issue; hoods that angle downward (upward) are not much of a factor either).

If you're interested in jamming laser guns reliably down to basically zero feet, then the Blinder M20 for the front or M40 for the front and rear are a safe bet.

It really comes down to what level of [dis]comfort your willing to live with. I have seen Blinder, two years running in testing, be a stellar performer.

VEIL works as a stealth product but does not, nor claim to, blank readings down to point blank range. If that's what you seek, a Blinder and/or Blinder/VEIL pairing is the best bet. I believe this will become even more important in the future as the laser gun manufacturers are busy revising their products to try and overcome laser jammers through filtering and/or software programming. Of course, laser jammer technology won't stand still either.

There is not much a laser gun can do, if it can't "see" its own light. This is the real strength of VEIL.

Since VEIL allows you to treat five or more cars, the treatment of each car drops to less than $20 - a small price, indeed, for what is really does for you.

Overall, I recommend that drivers in heavy laser usage areas consider having the trifecta - A great detector, VEIL, and a M20/M40.

We'll be testing this combination at next year's SML field test. At that time we'll have some hard data to share with y'all.

Hope this helps you. 8)

happya$$
12-09-2004, 07:08 AM
Thanks for the info that is what I have done is the trifecta. Thus far I have been lasered 3 times in one week on my way to work. Here is the pic that you requested:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6349&item=4509680168&rd=1

Veil Guy
12-09-2004, 07:42 AM
happya$$,

Those pics are good. Especially the fifth one down.

After looking at your vehicle carefully, I think you're in pretty good shape.

Based upon my review, it appears that you've got some things going for you even though is light in colour:

1) Your hood & windshield won't play a role in your detectability
2) The fact that your grill is black is great
3) Your bumper fascia is "broken" up with complexity and its not all perpendicular.

Veil should do quite well on this vehicle.

One thing I should add is the possibility of a using superfecta.

For those who find Veil's colour a bit too dark on the plate cover (we are working on this) and if, a plate cover like a Laser Shield actually cuts down on plate reflection as roy states and its lighter, one may want to consider using that as well.

If plate covers work in their own right, then VEIL, can only serve to improve their performance as well. My own experience with a "laser plate" was that it was bogus. I know because I measured its effectiveness [lack there of] in the lab. And it was available through a major automotive retail chain. This was NOT the Laser Shield, however.

I have not personally seen Laser Shield in use, but if it works well at cutting down plate reflectivity, as Roy has indicated, its use can only be well complimented with VEIL applied to every other reflective object.

I am curious. Where are you driving that you're getting lasered so frequently? I trust your trifecta is paying off.

May I invite you to post in the new forum that Roy and I are moderating?

Your experiences, locations, etc. would be welcomed there (http://www.radardetector.net/viewforum.php?f=14). 8)

Veil Guy
12-09-2004, 07:53 AM
happya$$,

Looking at your equipment list:

It sounds like you've got more than a superfecta working for you.

You are working towards a five-fecta or six-fecta!

In fact, looking at your vehicle, I couldn't even see it at first! :D

But, judging by how frequently you are getting zapped by laser, I am sure your efforts are paying off!

happya$$
12-09-2004, 10:24 AM
:D Ha I am still laughing. That is why I am "happya$$". My friends always called me that because i tend to go overboard with things. Once I get into something I get into it! I am getting lasered in Ohio on I480 (going East from North Ridgeville) and on the Ohio Turnpike (not too much here but happend about twice a week)