PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else getting google.no?

Big_T
02-17-2011, 09:53 PM
All of the computers on my network are getting redirected to google.no when trying to access google.com and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing this. It's not a malware infection, I run my own DNS servers for my local network and I've checked them and all of my host computers. I'm just trying to determine if this is a problem with my service provider, with one or more of my forward lookup servers, with google itself, or potentially something larger like my ISP's subnet getting re-routed to appear to be coming from a different physical location.

v1user
02-17-2011, 09:56 PM

Big_T
02-17-2011, 10:15 PM
After doing some troubleshooting it appears to be related to the location google thinks my IPv6 prefix resides. I use a Hurricane Electric IPv6 tunnel on my router to provide native IPv6 to my LAN, and my DNS servers use HE's whitelisted DNS servers as their primary forwarde lookup servers. If I force the connection to google to go over IPv4 instead of IPv6, I reach google.com, but when I connect over IPv6, which is the default in my situation, google thinks I'm in norway. This is gonna be fun to fix.

that guy
02-17-2011, 10:57 PM
no im not

Nope. I'm using Blackle right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFY2kJ96jNY

OpenRoad
02-21-2011, 11:11 PM
No speaka Norwegian?

Hunter
02-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Not yet,but have heard of the problem.

Big_T
03-05-2011, 04:08 PM
No speaka Norwegian?

.no is the ccTLD for Norway, if that's what you were asking. Otherwise I'm don't know what this could mean.

Not yet,but have heard of the problem.
As it turns out it was related to the algorithms Google uses to determine your physical location based on your IP address, this service is called GeoIP. From what I gathered, Google turned on GeoIP for IPv6 connections, but their was a bug in their software that cause it to think that most, if not all of the 2000::/3 section of the internet was coming from Norway.