PDA

View Full Version : New veil application technique?

drfish
02-02-2006, 08:05 PM
First off, a big thank you to Roy who shipped out a new can of veil to me after I opened my first shipment only to find it spread all over the inside of the canister.

I decided to try the dregs out on my new foglamps. The first coat looked really nice at first, then when it dried there were little black dots and hazing, etc.

There wasn't enough for a second coat, so I diluted what was left with some alcohol (lab grade ethanol, don't know if isopropyl will work the same way) and did a second coat (granted, it was mostly alcohol). It seems to have made the coat thinner, but...

http://homepage.mac.com/patricklee/veil.jpg
Fuzzy picture, sorry.

Dilip
02-03-2006, 03:54 AM
U should not dilute it with alcohol! alcohol is used to remove veil!

is that your fog light? It looks very strange with the veil on......it should'nt be like that

brick
02-03-2006, 05:30 AM
Yeah, I don't understand that picture. Did you coat the reflector or something? :?

drfish
02-03-2006, 08:53 AM
Nope, the reflector is not coated, it's the glass. The coat is that smooth. It's still matte, not glossy. Remember that I only had what was left of a bottle cracked in shipment, so it's only one coat, and it's a thin one.

Alcohol is used to remove veil because it's the correct solvent.

What I'm saying is that the alcohol seems to partially dissolve the veil that has been applied, allowing it to take a smooth set without all the lines, bubbles, etc. It also evaporates very rapidly which reduces the time for contamination of the coat.

The pigment in the veil remains in place, so it should still be effective. I'm going to have to put on another coat though, because this one is so thin.

(another reason why the foglight might look strange is because it's a compound light. there are two reflectors and bulbs smushed up inside there, thus the multiple light source reflections)

edit: Took some pictures in the sunlight. once again, very poor cameraphone shot, but you can see how smooth it is.

http://homepage.mac.com/patricklee/veil2.jpg
http://homepage.mac.com/patricklee/veil3.jpg

Dilip
02-03-2006, 10:44 AM
ahh, ok that looks a bit better.

I was wondering....do your fog lights already have a blueish tint on it without the veil?

drfish
02-03-2006, 11:00 AM
ahh, ok that looks a bit better.

I was wondering....do your fog lights already have a blueish tint on it without the veil?

Nope, they were completely clear. Here's a stock photo:
http://www.tirerack.com/images/accessories/product_images/hella_dynaview.jpg

If you look carefully on the bottom lamp, you can see a smear of darker pigment where I wasn't careful. Even so, it's better than having ripples.

holein1
02-04-2006, 01:27 AM
U should not dilute it with alcohol! alcohol is used to remove veil!

I agree, might cut down on the performance too!

drfish
02-04-2006, 06:28 PM
the point is not to dilute it. somebody else just give it a shot on a bit of scrap glass. paint the veil on first. let it dry. then give it a quick brush with some alcohol. it really improves the finish.

happya$$
02-04-2006, 06:33 PM
Dude you are going to give Bob a heart attack with this method :shock:

nvr2fast
02-04-2006, 07:33 PM
I wonder if that works... think about it for a second, it makes sense. Bob the Veil Guy will of course not approve of this method because some fool is going to go rubbing alchohol all over it, but think of this...

when we get streaks, it is because some part had a bit more Veil than others, right? So theoretically, if you used a bit of solvent and smoothed that streak out, it would look better... so doing what drfish said might indeed improve the look...

UNLESS the Veil counts on having some unevenness to it to cut down the laser reflection (like the laser shield being rough)?

spankyaf
02-17-2006, 08:46 AM
Mmmm I think you guys are on to something. The alcohol probably reduces the surface tension of the Veil allowing it to dry smoother.

sethy
02-17-2006, 10:44 AM
The reason why it dried with little black dots is because it was exposed to wind, or you put a hair dryer on it before the coat was dry.

This happened to me, and it was because first I didnt wait to let the coat of veil dry, and had a hair dryer on it, it also sucked in dirt from the air and shot and stuck on the coat of veil.

You want to do it in a garage, let it dry, then you can put a hair dryer on it or take it outside for a wind dry so crap wont get in the coat.