PDA

View Full Version : Scanner fun...

unmamfqlm
03-26-2011, 11:32 PM
With nothing better to do on this late Saturday night, I've been listening to the scanner. It's normally quite boring, but I just heard one interesting little incident by my local police department. On a parkway in my town, there was a 19 year old guy that was apparently going over 120 mph in a 1994 Honda Accord. I also heard that there were 3 others, and open alcohol containers in the car. Sounds like some people may be in some deep sh*t.

v1user
03-26-2011, 11:37 PM

Motor On
03-26-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah scanning an be quite entertaining in it's own right.

I remember catching one of the bullies from my grade school get busted for DUI and driving while suspended for DUI; was kinda a fun Karma moment then. There's a whole bunch more of fun ones out there, I pretty much always have it as dull background noise and turn the volume up when certain few phrases or amount of chatter catches my ear, and I can usually catch something fun.

unmamfqlm
03-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Sounds like it but I wouldn't be surprised if they get off with community service and a fine < 1K. We're getting snow:mad: here so the scanner is dead. No accidents either.:(

Ha, theres no telling. I feel ya on the snow thing. We've been spoiled with 70-80 degree weather here for a couple of weeks, but the weather has went to hell now. It's supposed to be in the 40's for a while now. It's actually raining and snowing here now.

Yeah scanning an be quite entertaining in it's own right.

I remember catching one of the bullies from my grade school get busted for DUI and driving while suspended for DUI; was kinda a fun Karma moment then. There's a whole bunch more of fun ones out there, I pretty much always have it as dull background noise and turn the volume up when certain few phrases or amount of chatter catches my ear, and I can usually catch something fun.

That's a great karma moment. I have EMS, fire, and police channels all programmed, and normally just let it cycle through all of them. The police channels are normally pretty dead, other than the typical busting parties and minor traffic offense stuff. The EMS frequency is pretty eventful though.

TRun
03-27-2011, 12:16 AM
I have yet to do anything useful with my scanner. In my area I can only use it to listen to air traffic control and the fire departments. EMS and police have special radios that cannot be scanned. If I really wanted to listen to them I would have to fork over $1500 for a compatible radio. However I may get some good use if I head out of town on a trip...

krypton2
03-27-2011, 01:16 PM
Sounds like it but I wouldn't be surprised if they get off with community service and a fine < 1K. We're getting snow:mad: here so the scanner is dead. No accidents either.:(

Heh, heh...open container is a $110.00 fine here in PA, nothing else. Speeding at 120 in a 65 (highest our highways go, and even then most are 55mph, which would add $10 to the fine) would be $228.00 and likely a temporary license suspension, nothing else.

Funny how penalties for things are so different in various states. Don't even get me started at our bail amounts. :(

Not too much happened around here last night...a couple DUIs. a few drug possessions, and a short pursuit was all I know of.

unmamfqlm
03-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Open containers aren't a big deal around here either, but I'm not sure what the maximum charge is for a person under 21. I'm assuming he may have had had too much to drink. I went to a gas station by where this incident was reported, then deicded to go see if his car was there. Sure enough, there was a greenish Accord sitting on the shoulder, lol; surely it was his car. He seemed to be quite an idiot. 70 mph over the limit, under age drinking, and open containers seems to be a bad combination.

stano0098
03-27-2011, 03:15 PM
My pro 164 is always on listening to my local PD. Nothing good ever happens.

Woodscolby
03-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Heard one the other day of the sheriffs in my home county. One sheriff had stopped a couple of high school kids on ATVs with multiple open containers on them. The other sheriff that he was talking to was one of those stereotypical douchebag cops that feels like he's special because he wears a badge. It was a rather interesting conversation.

unmamfqlm
03-27-2011, 09:41 PM
Heard one the other day of the sheriffs in my home county. One sheriff had stopped a couple of high school kids on ATVs with multiple open containers on them. The other sheriff that he was talking to was one of those stereotypical douchebag cops that feels like he's special because he wears a badge. It was a rather interesting conversation.

Haha, sounds like my town. Many times, leos have nothing better to do than get kids on four wheelers. A friend and me got the cops called on us for riding a few years ago, and 4 leos in 4 different cars showed up; two were undercover Impalas. Ended up getting our four wheelers towed and 20 hours community service.

johndetroit
04-28-2011, 09:43 PM

Haha, sounds like my town. Many times, leos have nothing better to do than get kids on four wheelers. A friend and me got the cops called on us for riding a few years ago, and 4 leos in 4 different cars showed up; two were undercover Impalas. Ended up getting our four wheelers towed and 20 hours community service.

OK, what is the big deal with four wheelers and LEOs? Can’t you ride on private property or is there a problem if you cross a street? Or is it more of a LEO vrs a kid thing?

unmamfqlm
04-28-2011, 10:10 PM

OK, what is the big deal with four wheelers and LEOs? Can’t you ride on private property or is there a problem if you cross a street? Or is it more of a LEO vrs a kid thing?

Can't be on the roadways with them, unless they are street legal and/or for farm to farm like use. That's for here anyways; not sure of other state's laws and regulations.

I'm sure people just got tired of hearing us. We have sport quads, with high performance exhausts and what not, which are pretty loud. I wish they would have just came and told us to leave instead of going right to calling the cops. We would have gladly went back to the woods to ride or something in that case. People like that irritate me.

protias
04-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Even more fun in states where you need a HAM license. :D