PDA

View Full Version : Weird Video - Fender Cam

OpenRoad
04-11-2011, 11:03 PM
I can't believe this guy did this video with a straight face. Mounts a camera to his fender, like that's a smart thing to do. Lemme take it across the desert and see if it survives past 100 miles....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTTaUsyC5Kg

mfcool45
04-11-2011, 11:08 PM
seems like money isnt a problem for him.. "only out a couple of hundred dollars"
lol i hope i can say that one day :rolleyes:

AirMoore
04-11-2011, 11:35 PM
seems like money isnt a problem for him.. "only out a couple of hundred dollars"

x2! Guys mount them on their bikes all the time for track-days... I cringe everytimeI see one scrape the road or get smashed by debris (a rock through the lense) etc. At least put it behind the wind-screen!

category4
04-12-2011, 04:46 PM
I have a buddy that Velcro's a flip camera to his front bumper for runs on the Dragon. He gets some great videos!!!

Goofy Footr
04-13-2011, 07:48 PM

It's probably a hobby of his that he spends a lot of money on anyway. He's obviously relatively knowledgeable about cameras and i have to agree with him, before FLIP got the shaft this week they were the cheapest (still are if you find them) and best alternative for HD quality video. Also, the mount he's using is high grade as well. It likely wont come off and is similar if not the same as the types of mounts used by shows like Top Gear.

speeddemon
04-13-2011, 09:39 PM
Looks like he is a film maker this would work on pristine filming lots not so much in the real world

OpenRoad
04-14-2011, 12:29 AM

It's probably a hobby of his that he spends a lot of money on anyway. He's obviously relatively knowledgeable about cameras and i have to agree with him, before FLIP got the shaft this week they were the cheapest (still are if you find them) and best alternative for HD quality video. Also, the mount he's using is high grade as well. It likely wont come off and is similar if not the same as the types of mounts used by shows like Top Gear.

I got a phone call a few weeks ago from a recruiter looking for software developer to work on the Windows FlipShare software. Good thing I ignored the call.

protias
04-16-2011, 12:19 PM
A better option would the be GoPro HD.

Motor On
04-16-2011, 04:39 PM
A better option would the be GoPro HD.
Better than that would have been the ContourHD or ContourGPS.

I use similar mounts with the same suction cup from a company called film tools, one is rated for 50lbs and the other is rated for 70lbs, I put a half pound HD camcorder on there and usually double them up, they're often trusted with much more weight and produce rock solid results every time. I also always safety tether my gear so it won't go flying off. If you watch shows like top gear or Rides you'll see these same style mounts in use for windshield cameras or sometimes mounted to a roof I've seen them on drift cars during races and A&E/TLCs Police Women of Marcopia/Memphis/Dallas shows, I think I've seen one or two on speeders. If you note the marking on the suction cup, that goes invisible when properly installed and provides the warning if suction is being lost, it's not meant to be left all day but if you're doing a run, for a leg of the Dragon or several laps on the track then it's a piece of cake to check it between runs and tighten back down as needed, or in the car hit it every few hours to keep the suction tight. It's been my best countermeasure video platform, even out doing the headrest mounts out there.

voyager7
04-17-2011, 11:03 AM
I have a buddy that Velcro's a flip camera to his front bumper for runs on the Dragon. He gets some great videos!!!

How many bug splats?