PDA

View Full Version : Dash Camera - Evidence concerns?

AMG_Roadster
05-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Those of you with Dash Cameras do you have any concern with the recording being used against you? There are all these stories of people recording their escapades for YouTube or of places like Minnesota where the cops are demanding your smartphone data when they pull you over.

Those of you with Dash Cams have you ever had the recordings used against you or do you have the concern it will be used against you?

I am interested in a dash cam but would hate for it to come back to bite me in the ass.

TRun
05-11-2011, 07:37 PM
LEOs sure love it. You can turn any fishing trip into a "whats that for?" game.

category4
05-11-2011, 07:37 PM
I carry spare SD cards that I insert in the camera if stopped. That way they don't get anything but the stop should they ask for it (take it).

Woodscolby
05-11-2011, 07:51 PM
They aren't getting any of my property without a warrant...Not to mention my everyday camera isn't all that noticeable from the outside of the vehicle. Not worried about it at all. Also, I don't do anything to terribly illegal anyways. If they were to steal my camera and try to use it as evidence, so what it's just a speeding ticket.

Sector_15504
05-11-2011, 08:45 PM
They aren't getting any of my property without a warrant...Not to mention my everyday camera isn't all that noticeable from the outside of the vehicle. Not worried about it at all. Also, I don't do anything to terribly illegal anyways. If they were to steal my camera and try to use it as evidence, so what it's just a speeding ticket.

X2, they wont take it without a warrant. If they do, im finding me a lawyer and the media.

RedAlert
05-11-2011, 09:35 PM
The 2 extra sd cards help tremendously along with the delete all button :).

EPIC404
05-11-2011, 10:38 PM
Yes, that's one of the reasons I switched to a camera that can be mounted discretely.

switch626
05-11-2011, 11:57 PM
The cam itself I don't worry about much. It is fairly obscured where I have it mounted. I would really only worry if they somehow had a warrant to search my car. Even then, if someone were to go to the trouble to analyze the video on it, it could result in speeding tickets.

I do worry about the videos that I post on line being used in that way. At some point I may stop posting that stuff, but that would only be after the fun wears off. There is risk in doing these things, but it is fun. Still, this is compared to the legitimate function of the camera, protecting you in the event something happens. This could mean recording events leading up to an accident where someone is going to lie their butt off to blame you, and escape liability. This also can be used to make record of a stop and events leading up to it, protecting you from having the case distorted by a dishonest LEO.

The cam is for your protection, not just to be used against you as it could possibly be. I would steer clear of the black box type that records my speed though.

AMG_Roadster
05-12-2011, 06:16 PM
In my case also the worst thing most likely found on an recording I made would be speeding but the extra SD cards are a good idea. Some of us drive cars that have very limited mounting options.

When the opportunity presents itself I would like to check out Catagory4's setup.

category4
05-12-2011, 07:29 PM
In my case also the worst thing most likely found on an recording I made would be speeding but the extra SD cards are a good idea. Some of us drive cars that have very limited mounting options.

When the opportunity presents itself I would like to check out Catagory4's setup.

I run two systems, one is a Sony DCR SR45 and a EVO HD from Race Optics.

AMG_Roadster
05-13-2011, 01:51 PM
The EVO HD looks like nice and would allow for more hidden mounting options. On the other hand the DOD gs600 offers GPS which would be nice to have. On those track day's it would be nice to have speed and long & lat available.

category4
05-13-2011, 04:28 PM
The EVO HD looks like nice and would allow for more hidden mounting options. On the other hand the DOD gs600 offers GPS which would be nice to have. On those track day's it would be nice to have speed and long & lat available.

I have the EVO mounted so it's view is through the HUD. I get speed, tach, lateral G's, gear and one gauge info displayed into the HUD.

AMG_Roadster
05-14-2011, 12:46 PM

I have the EVO mounted so it's view is through the HUD. I get speed, tach, lateral G's, gear and one gauge info displayed into the HUD.

Nice option with the Vette.

ExoticRadar
05-18-2011, 09:13 PM
I carry spare SD cards that I insert in the camera if stopped. That way they don't get anything but the stop should they ask for it (take it).

thats very smart i like that idea hmmmmmmmm

I would like a dash cam that has 2 cameras. One at 0 degree of course but the another say at 240-250 degrees.

This way it will record the Leo at your drivers side window.