PDA

View Full Version : What is best speeding speed on freeway?

904nm
07-17-2011, 11:33 PM
Just curious what most have found to be their cruising speed sweet spot?

I've found that 95 (PSL +30) is good for me. Out here when the freeways are not congested a lot of vehicles are going around 80, so 95 doesn't really make you stand out. Also, I think most CHP drive under 95 as I don't find any coming up from behind. At 100+ if you get tagged it's a mandatory license suspension which I can't risk. So I keep it at 95 which keeps me alert and cuts driving time by a good amount.

atticuss187
07-18-2011, 08:47 AM
To me, it depends how much traffic there is. If the traffic is light I'm anywhere between 85-95. Usually I'm in the 90-95 range with a good amount of rabbits.

Weeth
07-18-2011, 09:38 AM
It depends on the speed limit. 70's a comfortable cruising speed for me.

Hunter
07-18-2011, 09:45 AM
depends on the rabbits i get.

kpatz
07-18-2011, 09:50 AM
Here in New England (aka the backwards part of the country) it's rare to be able to speed but when I do I like to stay in the lower 80s. I'll hit 90 to pass someone or to keep up with a good rabbit, but that's about it. Too many curves, hills and narrow highways to go much faster safely.

I voted PSL+15 but my optimum cruising speed has nothing to do with the PSL. In a 55 zone I could be +25 PSL and still be perfectly safe and not passing people like they're standing still...

Frenzy
07-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Here in New England (aka the backwards part of the country) it's rare to be able to speed but when I do I like to stay in the lower 80s. I'll hit 90 to pass someone or to keep up with a good rabbit, but that's about it. Too many curves, hills and narrow highways to go much faster safely.

I voted PSL+15 but my optimum cruising speed has nothing to do with the PSL. In a 55 zone I could be +25 PSL and still be perfectly safe and not passing people like they're standing still...

x2 PSL 10-15. I'm usually on I-87 and I-90 in NYS, as well as Rt. 17 and 23. I keep it around 65-70 on state routes (55), and 75-80 on interstates (65).

Akosikojak
07-18-2011, 08:25 PM
Depends on the Interstate and the rabbits, but I can typically be 15 to 20 >PSL.

jmichalakjr
07-18-2011, 08:46 PM
Solo +9
Open straight aways w/ medium / light traffic +19
Hills, curves, bridges w/ medium / light traffic +14

Cips
07-20-2011, 06:12 PM
I like to drift between 85-90MPH.

Freebird
07-20-2011, 06:54 PM
I like to cruise at about 80 MPH as long as traffic flow permits. Faster than that sucks too much fuel in my ride. On my motorcycle 75-80 feels great and still nets 55 MPG.

904nm
07-22-2011, 12:10 AM
I like to cruise at about 80 MPH as long as traffic flow permits. Faster than that sucks too much fuel in my ride. On my motorcycle 75-80 feels great and still nets 55 MPG.

Fortunately I have free gas! I'm averaging in the low 20's MPG on the highway. The couple times I controlled myself for a full tank to see what MPG the car got it was getting over 30MPG on the highway at "normal" freeway speeds. But heck, the 33% higher fuel use is offset by me spending less time on the road so I have more productive office time. So in the end maybe it balances out.

radarrob
07-22-2011, 06:17 AM
when i see a crownvic i follow rite behind it at same speed.

switch626
07-22-2011, 06:47 AM
Ideally I like to be going between 80 and 95, depending on road conditions my goal, and my mood. The good mileage in my car starts to fall off at 90, and triple digits are too risky for me.

If conditions are right and I want to make good time, 95 all the way.

904nm
07-22-2011, 09:49 AM
when i see a crownvic i follow rite behind it at same speed.

No way! Seriously? I've always wondered if a CHP didn't have any emergency lights on, and was going in excess of the PSL, how long it would take for him to write you up if you were pacing him? I'm sure someone must have tried it?! Any care to share what happened? I have a feeling you would get written up pretty quickly. Anyone know the legality of CHP driving in excess of the PSL when there is no emergency? If it is illegal maybe we can follow the lead of Jimmy Justice in NY and start filming CHP in CA speeding.

"What are you going to do? Bite me with your gold tooth?" I love Jimmy!!!

‪JimmyJustice4753's Channel‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/JimmyJustice4753)

NETWizz
07-22-2011, 12:34 PM
As fast as you can go without getting pulled over is the best speed ;-)

Hunter
07-22-2011, 02:40 PM
As fast as you can go without getting pulled over is the best speed ;-)

It does not take much for these money grabbers to pull you over.

supercowpowers
07-23-2011, 07:58 AM
Since I had to choose I voted for 15 over. Here that's 80 in rural areas and 70 in urban areas, which is usually compatible with the prevailing speed of traffic and seems to be what I do most of the time. It's fast enough to make a difference but slow enough to not attract too much attention and it provides a little more time to look for cops and slow down if necessary. I'm not saying that I never go faster, but it depends on traffic, my familiarity with the road and dozens of factors that affect safety (physical safety, not from cops). Usually if I try to go 20 or more over I just spend more time waiting for people to move out of the way and it doesn't really make a difference, but it does cause noticeably poorer fuel economy.

I do think it's sad that I even have to worry about going 80, which is the actual freeway speed limit in other civilized countries.

Arvetus
07-23-2011, 12:37 PM
PSL on most roads is 70. I keep it there or 5 over max. I drive a Tahoe... any faster than that, I can actually watch the fuel needle move...

904nm
07-23-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm surprised; seems like I'm out on the edge of the bell curve at +30...:eek: Yet I really wonder if I'm not at a higher risk for a ticket if I slow down to closer to +20 over (85 MPH) as the CHP regularly drives around +20 over PSL. With the V1 I have better warning of what is behind me but if they are just pacing you then the RD won't help. Not sure from how far back they can pace you. Often everyone here is doing 80 in a 65 zone so the CHP can basically pull over anyone on large sections for the freeway.

helix139
07-26-2011, 01:43 PM
PSL +28 if the road is flat and straight and I can see far enough ahead to where I/O would not be a legit threat. PSL +30 can earn you a trip to jail and reckless charge here, so I leave a little margin for error, and I/O is rare here anyways as most cops where I drive use C/O Ka. If I can find or create a rabbit (generally look for obnoxious looking pep boys special ricers that will attract attention and think they are trying to race me), then I'll go however fast the rabbit goes but at a decent distance.

Frenzy
07-26-2011, 04:55 PM
PSL +28 if the road is flat and straight and I can see far enough ahead to where I/O would not be a legit threat. PSL +30 can earn you a trip to jail and reckless charge here, so I leave a little margin for error, and I/O is rare here anyways as most cops where I drive use C/O Ka. If I can find or create a rabbit (generally look for obnoxious looking pep boys special ricers that will attract attention and think they are trying to race me), then I'll go however fast the rabbit goes but at a decent distance.

I like that tactic. Anything 80 MPH+ in a 65 PSL on the Thruway is ticket-worthy IMO. I keep it around there.

1DREAM2REALITY
07-27-2011, 08:59 PM
If I can find or create a rabbit (generally look for obnoxious looking pep boys special ricers that will attract attention and think they are trying to race me), then I'll go however fast the rabbit goes but at a decent distance.

That's hilarious, lol. It's exactly what I do to make rabbits out of people.