PDA

View Full Version : Just got a 1788, got questions...

oca95
02-19-2006, 12:51 AM
I mean the volume is fine for me and the size..well a lil big, fits above my rearview mirror fine. My questions is, has this actually saved anybodys ass yet? How accurate is this to alerting you giving you enough time to slow down? thanks in advance.

bfg9000d
02-19-2006, 09:40 AM
For staters where its out right now it wont save your a s s. You must mount just slightly below the rear view mirror. Above the rear view mirror is way to high. Above the rear view mirror the rd is just looking at cars roofs. Mounting slight below the rear view mirror the rd is looking straight through other cars windshields much better laser pickup. Rd have save my a s s numerous times never gotten a ticket. But you should always leave a car infront of you. Never be the lone ranger because one day it will catch up with you. If nobody else is out on the road dont do more then 5 or 7 over. A rd detector doesnt mean your invisible to cops. Its and extra tool to inform you that cops are in the area.

asianfire
02-19-2006, 10:19 AM
I have the 1788 as well. I have only taken it on 1 trip to NC, in VA it is harder to test. In NC, I will circle around and find the cop again, in VA I don't do that. I haven't had the chance to really play with it. Unfortunately on I-95 there were no cops hiding out in the middle. I did catch a few on the other side and it would have given me enough warning to slow down.

But if you drive as though they can't get you, you will be caught!!!

oca95
02-19-2006, 11:10 AM
For staters where its out right now it wont save your a s s. You must mount just slightly below the rear view mirror. Above the rear view mirror is way to high. Above the rear view mirror the rd is just looking at cars roofs. Mounting slight below the rear view mirror the rd is looking straight through other cars windshields much better laser pickup. Rd have save my a s s numerous times never gotten a ticket. But you should always leave a car infront of you. Never be the lone ranger because one day it will catch up with you. If nobody else is out on the road dont do more then 5 or 7 over. A rd detector doesnt mean your invisible to cops. Its and extra tool to inform you that cops are in the area.

I'm in a Pathfinder, so maybe even lower than what you mention is better? Even so, I noticed the radar is facing up, should I bend the clip so the radar is straighter or parallel to the ground? thx, for the tips.

oca95
02-19-2006, 11:11 AM
I have the 1788 as well. I have only taken it on 1 trip to NC, in VA it is harder to test. In NC, I will circle around and find the cop again, in VA I don't do that. I haven't had the chance to really play with it. Unfortunately on I-95 there were no cops hiding out in the middle. I did catch a few on the other side and it would have given me enough warning to slow down.

But if you drive as though they can't get you, you will be caught!!!

Where is your located on your windshield? and is it aiming slightly up as mine. I may be pointing at the sky :roll:

compu44
02-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Mounting above the mirror won't hurt radar any unless you have a metallic tint band. The windsheilds are a good thing to see for laser though. It does however need to be level to the road. That makes a BIG difference in range, esp. KA. Bend the clip as nescessary to level it.

asianfire
02-19-2006, 11:37 AM
Where is your located on your windshield? and is it aiming slightly up as mine. I may be pointing at the sky :roll:

If I am in VA I have it on the visor, if in any other state, I have it mounted mid windsheild so that it can "see" through the other cars in front of me. I get hit by radar more then anything else. Seldom do I get hit by laser in NC.

YES!!! You have to bend that clip. Orginally, Mine was pointed to the sun and the moon, doesnt do much good that way. Since I have to use alot of rental cars (and their windshields are at different angles), I often have to readjust to ensure that it is level to the ground

oca95
02-19-2006, 05:25 PM
Hehe, I must have been picking up UFO's then. Seriously, I'm in Queens NY so I suspect I'll pick up alot of falses. I was parked in front of Northshore Hospital in Long Island and my radar was stuck on k 8 or 9 maybe even ka 8 or 9 as well. Hospital must be full of falses eh. Maybe the doors themselves, who knows. I positioned it in the middle a quarter up the windshield leveled and is a perfect spot for me. The thing does look huge but a clear reminder of the ticket I got 2 weeks ago on the Taconic parkway on my way upstate.

asianfire
02-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Hehe, I must have been picking up UFO's then. Seriously, I'm in Queens NY so I suspect I'll pick up alot of falses. I was parked in front of Northshore Hospital in Long Island and my radar was stuck on k 8 or 9 maybe even ka 8 or 9 as well. Hospital must be full of falses eh. Maybe the doors themselves, who knows. I positioned it in the middle a quarter up the windshield leveled and is a perfect spot for me. The thing does look huge but a clear reminder of the ticket I got 2 weeks ago on the Taconic parkway on my way upstate.

Just remember what the guy above this post said, it is only a tool to help you. Don't get to confident (esp. at the beginning). Yes, Hospitals are full of falses. Any automatic doors are. But it is a fun way to test your detector.

bfg9000d
02-19-2006, 06:16 PM
go here for what to do with your car or truck on mounting.

http://www.radardetector.net/Laser-Whistler-8475t.php

jdong
02-21-2006, 04:42 PM
And to add, leveling DOES MATTER. Take the extra time and effort to mount the detector as straight as possible, pointing straight ahead.

While automatic doors / falses are great to test with, it is NOT representative of the way police radar is aimed. When I tested my detector against a friend's Ka gun, I was pretty surprised to find that it does indeed make a measureable difference if the radar detector is pointing slightly up or down, or left or right.