PDA

View Full Version : Laser jammer vs RD in my state

napthalene
08-13-2012, 11:26 AM
According to the what bands are used where list (which hasn't been updated in well over a year btw) almost 1/3 of the cities listed in my state use laser exclusively, and almost all the rest use radar at least some of the time. Is it even worth it to get a radar detector anymore? I imagine within 5 years it's probably going to be all laser and I will have wasted an awful lot of money considering even right now I've got a 1/3 chance of being screwed even if I could respond to radars with 100% efficiency.

Better to save up money for a laser jammer?

fire65
08-13-2012, 12:43 PM
Radar will be around for many years. To many units already in use and it works very well, especially in places like Oklahoma. Troopers can get all the speeders they want with moving IO radar.

napthalene
08-13-2012, 07:09 PM
I would love to believe that but I guess I'm just a skeptic. My thoughts for now are stay within 5-10mph of the limit, and save up the $1000 for a LI and then another $400 for a retractable housing.

napthalene
08-14-2012, 06:01 AM
I don't mean to be argumentative, I don't doubt your statement. But I guess my brain just works that way. I doubt a lot of things that are probably true. But dude, look at the list!

Apple Valley: MPH Enforcer, Ka Band 33.8, Pro Laser III shooting north bound traffic on Cedar AVE and 142nd street
Apple Valley: Pro Laser III: Laser
Baxter: Laser
Bemidji: Laser
Benton County: Laser
Blaine: Laser
Bloomington: Laser
Burnsville: Stalker ATR, Ka Band 34.7
Carver County: Stalker 34.7, Kustom 35.5, PLIII, X band...(Encountered blue fully marked Crown Victoria on 11/1/2008 traveling East HWY 312 at cross road HWY 41 utilizing C/O X Band, Unknown which jurisdiction.), K
Chisago County: Laser
Cottage Grove: K, Laser
Deephaven: Stalker 34.7, PLIII
Eagan: Laser
Eden Prairie: Ka(35.5 Kustom), K, Pro Laser III
Excelsior: Ka, K band (rear antennas), Prolaser III
Faribault: Laser
Fridley: Laser
Hopkins: KA, K
Lakeville: K, Ka, Laser
Long Lake: Ka
Mankato: K, Laser
Maplewood: Laser
Martin County: Laser
Medina: Laser
Minnetonka: KA(35.5 Kustom), K, Pro Laser III
Minnetonka Beach: Ka
Nobles County: Laser
Orono: KA, K
Ramsey County: K, Ka (IO) and laser.
Red Wing: Ka
Richfield: KA
Rochester: Laser (PL III), Ka 35.5
Roseville: K, Ka and laser.
Savage: K
Shakopee: Ka (Kustom Signals/Decatur 35.500Mhz), K band CO
South St. Paul: Laser
Spring Park: Ka
St. Paul: K, Ka and laser.
State Patrol: Ka (Stalker 34.7, Golden Eagle 35.5), Laser (PLIII)
Twin Cities: Kustom Pro Lite on 94N/Lowry Ave.
Waite Park: Laser
Worthington: Laser (PL3)
and that's over a year old.

fire65
08-14-2012, 06:04 AM
I would love to believe that but I guess I'm just a skeptic. My thoughts for now are stay within 5-10mph of the limit, and save up the $1000 for a LI and then another $400 for a retractable housing.

And get a ticket from some old out dated radar gun. To each their own, we all have to make our own choices about what to run and our budget. Luck to you.

napthalene
08-14-2012, 08:53 AM

And get a ticket from some old out dated radar gun. To each their own, we all have to make our own choices about what to run and our budget. Luck to you.
Did you look at the list of radar bands (more of a laser type list :P)?
If you lived there would you still buy a radar detector? Probably the pro 78se? Also I've heard cobra sucks the big pen0r. True?

Digital Dude
08-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Location, Location, Location. I suppose if I lived in a high use laser zone I wouldn't have two RD's and no laser cm. I believe more Lidar isn't that far away, but for me, and in my area of travel, its 99% Ka.

napthalene
08-14-2012, 01:03 PM
Location, Location, Location. I suppose if I lived in a high use laser zone I wouldn't have two RD's and no laser cm. I believe more Lidar isn't that far away, but for me, and in my area of travel, its 99% Ka.

Maybe I should ask someone around here with a detector what they get hit with the most.

fire65
08-14-2012, 04:28 PM

Maybe I should ask someone around here with a detector what they get hit with the most.

You have lost the concept of protection. It is not about MOST, it is about ONCE. You have to be right all the time, LEO has to be right once.
It seems you already made up your mind so go with it. Hell there are still depts. that run way old X band units.
I guess this is why I run V1, Sti-R, Galaxy 919, bearcat scanner, and Blinder 47 all on front. You have to be ready for what comes, not what you think will happen.

napthalene
08-14-2012, 04:41 PM
You know what, just because it looks nice I'll get a pro 78se. Conversation starter for people that don't even know they exist when they ride along. Where's a good place to hide it when you park your car so you don't piss off any LEOs or get it stolen?
Are cobra radar detectors ****ty? I heard they are, but I'm here because I don't know.

WDG
08-19-2012, 12:07 PM
You know what, just because it looks nice I'll get a pro 78se...

Yep! That's exactly what you should do, as the most important aspect of a radar detector is that it looks nice.

As for me, my NUMBER ONE countermeasure is my eyes. I'd love an LI set-up, but have more pressing things in my list of priorities. Even if our local traffic police used lidar exclusively, I'd STILL keep an RD, because I don't spend my entire life in the city.

There's a LOT of radar still on that "year old" list, and I'd bet there still is. As long as the radar guns that were paying for themselves then are still getting the job done, they're going to stay in service.

mrcllusb
08-19-2012, 01:50 PM
Radar systems will never go away.Just the I/O feature that they offer is priceless especially in unmarked vehicles.Those that aren't prepared will always be on the losing end of the battle.

napthalene
08-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Radar systems will never go away.Just the I/O feature that they offer is priceless especially in unmarked vehicles.Those that aren't prepared will always be on the losing end of the battle.

So I hear below $400 range RDs are basically useless for I/O. True? I can't afford much above $150 right now.