PDA

View Full Version : We are screwed! Undetectable Car Speed Detector Invented

Radar Roy
04-11-2005, 05:10 PM
Discovery,com

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20050411/speed.html

April 11, 2005 — A new speed-measuring system that its inventors say is fully undetectable may someday render radar detectors useless.

The inventors, from the University of Florida, will outline the research in a paper in an upcoming issue of the journal Transactions on Robotics and Automation. The technology is so new that police are not yet equipped with it.

The technology is so new that police are not yet equipped with it.

However, the device's inventors say that could change at any time, since it would take minimal effort to outfit officers with the system.

Hessen
04-11-2005, 05:16 PM
Could it be Jammed ??????

delete
04-11-2005, 06:28 PM
Read the article. Though it has some pie-in-the-sky implementations with UAVs (airborne drones), it is basically nothing more than computerized VASCAR. Rather than the officer flipping switches or using a stopwatch, a digital camera is used to measure movement, even at an angle, in relation to a fixed object.

The new system is simple, requiring just a single video camera hooked up to a small computer. Computer algorithms, or mathematical instructions, enable the computer to continuously register motionless target points, such as a tree that the car passes. By comparing changing distance vectors between the car and the target, as captured in multiple images, the software program can calculate the car's speed.

Now of course it's not that simple, otherwise this sort of system would have been implemented years ago. It is easiest to gauge speed at a 90 degree angle, and hardest from 0 degrees (whereas radar measures speed the best at 0 degrees). This is where the computer algorithms come in to play. Image processing has made sufficient leaps such that the moving/rotating edges of the vehicle can be isolated, allowing the distance from the camera to be calculated, in turn allowing the speed to be measured.

"A policeman could have the camera/computer in his car, and much like a radar detector, he could simply point the camera at a motorist and the speed could be displayed on the screen," Dixon said. "If a dispute is raised in traffic court, the officer even has a short video sequence of the speeding car that proves beyond any doubt that the motorist was speeding and the exact speed."

He added, "The camera is passive so that a motorist cannot detect if he/she is being monitored. The camera can also use infrared technology to detect motorists at night and in bad weather conditions."

Yeah, bad news guys :(

brick
04-11-2005, 06:39 PM
Could it be Jammed ??????

Not a chance. All it needs is an object to follow. It's really hard to say how much of a threat this is since it's just at the stage of academic research.

Honestly I think that this is going to be the replacement for photoradar. A stationary application will be the easiest since the device would not have to compensate for its own movement. Calculating the vectors from the 3-D image would be relatively easy. A hand-held or moving device would be a whole lot trickier, and my engineering instincts are telling me that conventional laser and radar will remain the standard for that form factor. If this thing were moving in any way it would have to be able to figure out its own motion at all times. It would also need to be able to decide what objects should be tracked and what objects are part of a moving background. As always I'm not going to panic until I have a good reason. When I do I suppose I'll bust out my drab paints and my mad camo-painting skills.

antilaser
04-11-2005, 10:08 PM
there are already similar devices in use in EU, provida, travimo, vascar or autovelox. All of them are undetectable but all of them are questionable and can be easily manimupalted by user to show what ever speed is desired.

Veil Guy
04-12-2005, 05:56 AM
Don't sweat it guys.

I'll let you in on a little secret - VEIL is developing a product that will make you [dis]appear invisible! :wink:

This was first designed for our very own Happya$$ - as it beats tar.

The Veil Guy 8)

happya$$
04-12-2005, 07:10 AM
Cant wait ot get my hands on it. I want to go 100% STEALTH.

brick
04-12-2005, 07:52 AM
Don't sweat it guys.

I'll let you in on a little secret - VEIL is developing a product that will make you [dis]appear invisible! :wink:

This was first designed for our very own Happya$$ - as it beats tar.

The Veil Guy 8)

You don't need a special product for that. The trick is just to drive so fast that nobody can see you. Officer#1 to Officer#2: "Hey, did you hear something?"

sethy
04-12-2005, 03:56 PM
...that is very depressing news because I know ohio will be the first to jump on it :(

stealthJamal
04-12-2005, 06:33 PM
Cant wait ot get my hands on it. I want to go 100% STEALTH.

Can't wait to get my hands on it also. BTW happyA$$, I have Veil on my back taillights on the reflectors everywhere except on the brake light portion. and of course I have the ZR3 rear jammer in the back. Are you going to get 2 more jammer heads for the rear to try to surpass me?

happya$$
04-12-2005, 07:39 PM
I have Veil on my tail lights and my back license plate. Am I going to get 2 jammer heads to surpass you HELL YEAH. Did you see my videos of the RX65 vs the V1?

raresvx
04-13-2005, 12:25 AM
This can easily be jammed. I wouldnt worry about this. This is aimed for military etc. Police cars are packed with equipment. This would have to be a small device/portable and affordable for police departments to consider buying. I have alot of ideas of getting out of these tickets already.