PDA

View Full Version : Super newbie here..got a question.

c2sky
04-09-2006, 05:21 PM
hi, i am getting my whistler detector soon,so here is my question..
the radar detector will go off when it detect police cars right? so can i detect them even if they aren't shooting lasers at me? last time the cops were behind a bush and caught me running a stop sign..so..i am wondering if the detector would help ..

amoney
04-09-2006, 05:41 PM
the radar detector will go off when it detect police cars right? so can i detect them even if they aren't shooting lasers at me? last time the cops were behind a bush and caught me running a stop sign..so..i am wondering if the detector would help ..

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

A RD is NOT a cop detector... it only detects radar (laser if your lucky) when the police trigger the unit on (if it already is not in ConstantOn mode) and you rely on the scatter to pickup the officer shooting. That is why it is imperative that you understand the limitations on a RD and be smart and use a decoy (rabbit) ahead of you to trigger the alert (cop shoots the bunny you get the advance warning to slow), and most importantly, PAY ATTENTION AND USE YOUR EYES to watch the traffic for tip offs.

Oh and another thing, NOT ALL POLICE HAVE A RADAR UNIT IN THEIR CARS! Officer still can be hiding a looking to give out stop sign tickets, red light tickets, etc. Not to mention a thng called VASCAR (stopwatch timeing you over distance) and their is even VASCAR from the air called... AIRBORN VASCAR, you will be screwed.

allyoops
04-09-2006, 05:51 PM
The clue is in name of the Product.

Radar detectors "detect" radar

Laser Detectors "detect" laser

Laser jammers "jam" laser

Something can only be "detected" when it's physically there to be "detected" so you can't detect police cars. That's like expecting an RD to detect where all the green porsche 911 on the road are. Just not possible.
Your not detecting the car, you're detecting when they use the gun. Not using gun - not detectable. Clear enough?

Hope this helps. (And don't worry - I've seen lots of people make the same mistake.)

c2sky
04-09-2006, 06:11 PM

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

A RD is NOT a cop detector... it only detects radar (laser if your lucky) when the police trigger the unit on (if it already is not in ConstantOn mode) and you rely on the scatter to pickup the officer shooting. That is why it is imperative that you understand the limitations on a RD and be smart and use a decoy (rabbit) ahead of you to trigger the alert (cop shoots the bunny you get the advance warning to slow), and most importantly, PAY ATTENTION AND USE YOUR EYES to watch the traffic for tip offs.

Oh and another thing, NOT ALL POLICE HAVE A RADAR UNIT IN THEIR CARS! Officer still can be hiding a looking to give out stop sign tickets, red light tickets, etc. Not to mention a thng called VASCAR (stopwatch timeing you over distance) and their is even VASCAR from the air called... AIRBORN VASCAR, you will be screwed.

okay.i get it now..lets say if a cop is tail-gating me?..should i expect a signal if he is using a radar on my tail? does it work if the cop is using the radar if he is in the oncoming side of traffic ? Do the cops have their radars in their cars constantly turned on, if so, will i know their presence?

asianfire
04-09-2006, 06:16 PM
okay.i get it now..lets say if a cop is tail-gating me?..should i expect a signal if he is using a radar on my tail? does it work if the cop is using the radar if he is in the oncoming side of traffic ?

If he has a signal emmitting from the radar gun, then yes, you should receive an alert. If he is coming towards you, yes, you should receive an alert. But just remember what everyone else said, you will ONLY receive an alert if there is a signal present. You still have to be smart and not drive like a "newbie" or a dumbas

amoney
04-09-2006, 06:17 PM
If he is using radar you will know when it is on, if it is ConstantOn (always transmitting) you will (should) get advance warning and the signal will ramp up the closer he is (even if he is behind you becuase the radar bounces off objects infront of you), if he is using InstantOn (where he keeps quiet and waits for his prey, that is abit more difficult becasue you have to be in range to get the early warning from the traffic he is shooting ahead of you), then there is laser. For laser he has to be stationary and it is very difficult to get scatter to tip you off, V1 is by far the best.

As far as approaching from the side, that is difficult, basicly every situation can vary due to many variances, number of building, traffic, etc. You may get close to no advance warning especially if he uses InstantOn.