PDA

View Full Version : why was a Civic so much faster than me even on the highways

Dilip
04-19-2006, 01:12 AM
The other night i was driving, i saw one Civic, i think it was a 96 model, and it was lowered, with a modified exhaust. I began to play with him a bit...... and then he started tailgating me so closely. I tried to speed up but he still kept on my tail even though i was flooring it.

Upon a straight road, he overtook me and flew off, his acceleration was amazing, much better than my 2.3 Litre 178 horsepower mazda.

I know civics are only 1.5 Litres but is it that easy to modify them to such an extent that they can go so fast?

brick
04-19-2006, 05:10 AM
Turbo? Nitrous? Engine swap? Sounds like he was drafting for a little while, too. :lol:

Dilip
04-19-2006, 05:16 AM
definately no turbo or nitrous. I can tell if a car is turboed, u can hear that buzzing sound, or you can sometimes tell by the way it accelerates..

Nitrous is practically non-existent in Hong Kong, and i'm sure he didn't have it coz it was consistent power.

stalker
04-19-2006, 06:18 AM
only milk and juice comes in 2.3 litres ;)

His car is alot lighter than yours too... was it a vtech??

kpatz
04-19-2006, 06:43 AM
No turbo or nitrous... does a supercharger buzz? Or do they always require a hood scoop?

Probably a combination of light weight, vtec, manual tranny, and a few engine, intake, and exhaust mods. Maybe they crammed a 5.0L V8 in there somehow. ;)

Dilip
04-19-2006, 06:46 AM
i feel so bad that a 1.5 litre is so much faster than me...... yes it was vtec

stalker
04-19-2006, 06:51 AM
id say it comes down to a power to weight ratio thing....i know a few 1.5/1.6 ltr cars that would eat my 5.7L and they are N/A

AirMoore
04-19-2006, 07:01 AM
Probably a combination of light weight, vtec, manual tranny, and a few engine, intake, and exhaust mods.

x2.

Also Dilip at high speed you may not have been able to hear a turbo spool up next to you,(wind buffeting is well known to drown out the light sound of turbos spooling) the buzzing sound normally only occurs (really loud), when the BOV or wastegates dump.... and its that whistle/hisss/buzzz sound... so if he didnt shift you may not have heard it.

I can tell if a car is turboed, u can hear that buzzing sound

stalker
04-19-2006, 07:06 AM
On my WRX you couldnt even hear the turbo spool....id say it would be the same as nvr2fst EVO

f_399
04-19-2006, 07:20 AM
that or engine swapped

even a b18 on a light civic will beat a stock mazda 6

hell a civic SiR(b16) beat my 2.0 galant by over 5 cars when i was in highschool(1999-2000)

swaps for these cars are so easy, being in hk i am sure you can find a lot engines

keyframe
04-19-2006, 07:31 AM
I bet money on an engine swap, nitrous, or turbo.

Dilip
04-19-2006, 09:49 AM
Probably a combination of light weight, vtec, manual tranny, and a few engine, intake, and exhaust mods.

x2.

Also Dilip at high speed you may not have been able to hear a turbo spool up next to you,(wind buffeting is well known to drown out the light sound of turbos spooling) the buzzing sound normally only occurs (really loud), when the BOV or wastegates dump.... and its that whistle/hisss/buzzz sound... so if he didnt shift you may not have heard it.

I can tell if a car is turboed, u can hear that buzzing sound

Actually the first half of the race was a mountain, not yet a highway, and i did get a chance to go right next to him with windows open and hear him change gears many manytimes, i'm very certain he didn't have a turbo. I have never seen a turbo civic in Hong Kong. I guess its the regular mods and the light weight.....

Nvr2fast's stock evo 9 still makes that whining sound when the turbo kicks in, you can clearly hear it if your windows are open.

His high speed was definately "a combination of light weight, vtec, manual tranny, and a few engine, intake, and exhaust mods."

f_399
04-19-2006, 10:12 AM
turbo- whistling sound, you would have heard that or a BOV

supercharger- more whining

SmaartAasSaabr
04-19-2006, 10:32 AM
turbo- whistling sound, you would have heard that or a BOV

supercharger- more whining

I drive a turbo car... a small whistling on acceleration, more noticeable with the windows down... damn I can't wait to get back in that baby :x

f_399
04-19-2006, 11:11 AM
i love the BOV sound

tssssss.... hehehe

i just hear it from srt4's and evos usually

SmaartAasSaabr
04-19-2006, 11:16 AM
i love the BOV sound

tssssss.... hehehe

There is an orange SRT-4 here with black rims on it that has this BOV thing all the time... like he just lets go of the gas when he is going 20 km/h and PSSSSSSHHHHHHH :lol: I mean I have an air compressor and if I turned it on and then undid the drain plug it wouldn't make so much psssshhhh ing :lol:

keyframe
04-19-2006, 11:54 AM
PSSSSSSHHHHHHH

So perfect I had to submit it to urban dictionary. :D

AirMoore
04-19-2006, 12:05 PM
i love the BOV sound

tssssss.... hehehe

There is an orange SRT-4 here with black rims on it that has this BOV thing all the time... like he just lets go of the gas when he is going 20 km/h and PSSSSSSHHHHHHH :lol: I mean I have an air compressor and if I turned it on and then undid the drain plug it wouldn't make so much psssshhhh ing :lol:

Yeah well they can change their sound, via disk level to regulate amount of air, he probably just set it up like a schmoo to make it loud.

f_399
04-19-2006, 12:07 PM
i dont know it could be i dont know much about turbos

holein1
04-19-2006, 02:28 PM
More than likely a swap or spray!

http://videos.streetfire.net/Comment/0/98675FA4-C7DC-4ACF-A53B-9FCA4AF7853D.htm

SmaartAasSaabr
04-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Yeah well they can change their sound, via disk level to regulate amount of air, he probably just set it up like a schmoo to make it loud.

Maybe he just has one of those tapes in his cassette player to go "pssshhh" through big subwoofers :lol:

For what it's worth, an atomospheric turbo dump valve is a dumb thing to put on a car that has an air mass meter... When you let off the gas, the air goes out so the car runs extremely rich for a moment. Bad for the engine. Sometimes flames :lol: That's why most production cars use a recirculating type valve which is much better.

AirMoore
04-19-2006, 03:08 PM
Maybe he just has one of those tapes in his cassette player to go "pssshhh" through big subwoofers :lol:

Or he has one of those whistles you put on the tail end of a (naturally aspirated), cars exhaust... it creates the sound like a turbo. I dont even know what they are called, they are really ghetto though.

SmaartAasSaabr
04-19-2006, 03:28 PM
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/bubbrubbflash.html

stalker
04-19-2006, 03:49 PM
haha BOV are good stuff...i had the loudest one you have ever heard....i used to let it rip right next to somone and it scared the crap out of them..hahaha

you coyldnt hear my turbo spooling tho...very quiet ;)

AirMoore
04-19-2006, 04:41 PM
haha BOV are good stuff...i had the loudest one you have ever heard....i used to let it rip right next to somone and it scared the crap out of them..hahaha

you coyldnt hear my turbo spooling tho...very quiet ;)

I dont know about that my neighbor had a highly tuned 3KGT VR-4 that could boost to ~30PSI (the turbos could... but he never did), and it had a lot of air that it needed to regulate whenever he had 16PSI+ on it which wasnt often.

There was also a talon which had 25PSI of boost... not that it COULD boost that high... he ran it that high, that thing had one heck of a sound do it.

There is also another ~450HP talon around (bought te parts off the aforementioned kid), and that thing can give you some solid looks.

Honestly most BOV's under any hard accel. can dump a pretty solid sound out of them by changing the disk level.

NooB1FieD
04-19-2006, 05:48 PM
I would guess engine swap. At what speed did he overtake you? because I know I can overtake my friend in his 86 celica much more easily when I follow behind, allowing me to wind up and pass him using his car to push most of the air out of my way. Makes it easier for the followers car to follow in the wind stream. My car is still faster than the celica GT (for that year anyway, I think he has the 2.0 SOHC motor. My DOHC 1.5L can pull on him in all gears. we both have cat-back and intake (I took the resonator behind the bumper, and cut the intake box, and put a K&N in it. Amazing how much easier she accels and pulls through red line, rather than to red line... kind of a ram air intake.

A-TownNavi
04-19-2006, 06:08 PM
im guessing engine swap too, just from the way it sounds.

Dilip
04-19-2006, 08:24 PM
I would guess engine swap. At what speed did he overtake you? because I know I can overtake my friend in his 86 celica much more easily when I follow behind, allowing me to wind up and pass him using his car to push most of the air out of my way. Makes it easier for the followers car to follow in the wind stream. My car is still faster than the celica GT (for that year anyway, I think he has the 2.0 SOHC motor. My DOHC 1.5L can pull on him in all gears. we both have cat-back and intake (I took the resonator behind the bumper, and cut the intake box, and put a K&N in it. Amazing how much easier she accels and pulls through red line, rather than to red line... kind of a ram air intake.

His acceleration was much faster than mine at highway speeds, between 80-150 km/h

holein1
04-19-2006, 08:28 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ZO6Vette
04-19-2006, 08:48 PM
I know civics are only 1.5 Litres but is it that easy to modify them to such an extent that they can go so fast?

Easy? No. Able to Modify them so they can go so fast? Yes. It is much easier to do an engine swap or spray though.

That was annoying at first. The more I looked and listened at it the funnier it got. :lol:

raresvx
04-19-2006, 09:25 PM
You can barely hear a turbo spool on a automatic which I have.
You can hear it when I let off. I dont think civics come in automatics so thats not the case.

Civics are slow they have a nice redline which is nice on the highway. Even with a swap they are still slow.

My guess is that he had acouple of mods. Which resulted in about the same horsepower range your car puts out stock. Given that he has a lighter he won.

the_Flash083
04-20-2006, 12:33 AM
you can here the turbo if he has no blow off valve when your driving that fast trust me my friend has a 93 Dodge stealth Twin Turbo and you cant hear his turbos when we are racing. Only time you can here them is at a stop light when he revs up.

eviltwin67
04-20-2006, 08:42 AM
I agree w/the engine swap theory or modified engine. I had an 86 VW GTi that had the throttle body and intake ported and polished, a K&N drop in filter and an Dynomax exhaust. It looked and sounded stock, but once it got around 3,500 rpm, the thing took off like it was turbo or s/c compared to a stock car. I could easily out accelerate/pass larger displacement cars from about 50 mph on. Too bad the timing belt snapped while I was ideling at an stop light and damaged the engine for more than it was worth fixing. :(