Good Citizen

Default Reduction in sensitivty in new truck?

Hey all, any of you notice a reduction in the sensitivity of their RD in the newer Tacomas (I have an 09)? I remember reading somewhere that something in the newer windshields can effect their ability to sense radar...

Not yet sure if it is maybe the splitter I am using in my 120v port not letting it use the voltage it needs or what.

I have a vector 995.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Reduction in sensitivty in new truck?

I know that what usually affects RDs is any metallic tint.. but the front windshield doesn't have tint, and it isn't on the upper tinted portion either. So I am suspect a power issue... Hmmm... maybe I should just use my cig lighter for power on that.

Old Timer

1) Go to store with K band door opener.
    2) Connect your RD to your coiled cord, and mount in usual location.
    3) Park at edge of parking lot (or the point where the RD is consistently having trouble picking up the signal), with RD pointing towards the door.
    4) Notice strength reading on RD. Slowly take RD off mount and stick it out the window, while still pointing towards the radar source. Note new reading.

If reading is the same, your windshield is good. If there is a big difference, your windshield/tint is a problem. You can do this same test to determine if your tint is metallic or not.

Also, you might want to do this test when there isn't many people around in the parking lot. People look at you kinnda funny when you hold a RD out your window...

Good Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by ELVATO View Post
    1) Go to store with K band door opener.
    2) Connect your RD to your coiled cord, and mount in usual location.
    3) Park at edge of parking lot (or the point where the RD is consistently having trouble picking up the signal), with RD pointing towards the door.
    4) Notice strength reading on RD. Slowly take RD off mount and stick it out the window, while still pointing towards the radar source. Note new reading.

If reading is the same, your windshield is good. If there is a big difference, your windshield/tint is a problem. You can do this same test to determine if your tint is metallic or not.

Also, you might want to do this test when there isn't many people around in the parking lot. People look at you kinnda funny when you hold a RD out your window...
    Yea, I was reading up on those heat shield windshields... I better not have one of those. I will also have to try to find that stupid "clear spot" that is usually around the rear view mirror.

I thought it was all in my head at first...

Good Citizen

Well, did a little messing around... I don't see any color distortion with polarized sunglasses... GPS signal does not weaken.... got a decent radar hit from a cop faced the opposite way (hitting traffic going opposite of me)... so, I will just keep an eye on it.

hmmm.

Radar Fanatic

http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt1.asp

This is why many states with EZPass and IPass and Fastrack have a front plate frame screw on option, the film in the windshield, optically clear but blocks may RF signals.