Manufacturer

Default Automated Self Driving Cars

You know, I've been thinking in the wake of the terrible tragedy that happen with a Tesla driver.

But the experience leads to me wonder, why any one driver or manufacturer would want to offer such technology, I am mystified by this. The liability alone I would expect to be high.

I've been dismayed by the onset of so much technology in the automobile of late, starting with Audi years ago and now culminating itself in one degree or another with just about every manufacturer. What has happened to this society? I don't get it. Self parking cars, self driving cars, it's crazy. It's the continued dumbing down of the driving community. I remember when I took my driving test that one of the requirements that drivers had to park properly in a tight space. People who are raised relying on technology to do the work, may never learn such basic skills. Drivers that have, may lose the skill by relying on the car to do the work for them.

I can't understand why would any driver want the car to do the driving? What happened to the notion of driving for the sake of driving pleasure?

If distracted driving is being outlawed for drivers using their cell phones, how does that distraction compare to complete distraction and inattentiveness by letting the car handle the driving.

I say this, for those that are interested in leaving the driving to something else, either be a passenger in carpool or take the train.

VG
    ALERT: Purchase the latest Veil G5 Direct from the Manufacturer or from one of our Authorized Dealers at the Veil Store.

Stay informed with the latest industry news and product reviews Veil Guy's Radar Detector Reviews.

Experience real-world encounters as they actually happened on the open road, from the pioneer of this bonafide real-world testing format. Visit Veil Guy's radar detector videos.

Socialize with the Veil Guy: Google+, Facebook

Advanced Member

Default Re: Automated Self Driving Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Veil Guy View Post
    You know, I've been thinking in the wake of the terrible tragedy that happen with a Tesla driver.

But the experience leads to me wonder, why any one driver or manufacturer would want to offer such technology, I am mystified by this. The liability alone I would expect to be high.

I've been dismayed by the onset of so much technology in the automobile of late, starting with Audi years ago and now culminating itself in one degree or another with just about every manufacturer. What has happened to this society? I don't get it. Self parking cars, self driving cars, it's crazy. It's the continued dumbing down of the driving community. I remember when I took my driving test that one of the requirements that drivers had to park properly in a tight space. People who are raised relying on technology to do the work, may never learn such basic skills. Drivers that have, may lose the skill by relying on the car to do the work for them.

I can't understand why would any driver want the car to do the driving? What happened to the notion of driving for the sake of driving pleasure?

If distracted driving is being outlawed for drivers using their cell phones, how does that distraction compare to complete distraction and inattentiveness by letting the car handle the driving.

I say this, for those that are interested in leaving the driving to something else, either be a passenger in carpool or take the train.

VG
    Very nice! The only thing you left out is "freedom." This pony show works in all parts of the world that rely heavily on public transportation. A microcosm of this is NY city. No lawns, no parking. Take the cab, bus, bike, or roller blade. It's entrapping, and freedom goes right out the window! I'll give up my fast sports cars when they pry my cold dead hands off the heated steering wheel.

Kmeleon

Advanced Member

Default Re: Automated Self Driving Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Veil Guy View Post

VG
    Orwell 1984 mate. The robots, industry, and government want to supersize your stupidity on reliance. No more thinking mate, its all covered, of course under more taxes to "the man." I think I'll move to Bozeman where I shovel and the bots don't, yet.

Kmeleon