Newcomer

Default e60 m5 rear head install help

I am getting ready to drive across the country and wanted to add rear li heads to the m5 just under the trunk lid. I cant find a thread (or trace of information) on how to get the wiring inside the trunk. I would rather not have to drill into the trunk lid to pass the wiring but I am not seeing any other options.

Thanks

Matthew

Mobile Installer

Default Re: e60 m5 rear head install help

drill into the trunk lid to pass the wiring is the only way to get threw.The din connectors and thicker wiring cause this problem.
    Radarrob is a approved radar detector and Parking sensor installer Anywhere in the United States.Has access to Radar and Lidar Guns to test systems.Need Help Choosing a Radar Detector or parking sensor for your needs? Visit my Install Thread:

http://www.radardetector.net/forums/...installer.html

"I'm interested to see how well you do.I never seen a car JTG before would be a first for me.."

Default Re: e60 m5 rear head install help

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    I am getting ready to drive across the country and wanted to add rear li heads to the m5 just under the trunk lid. I cant find a thread (or trace of information) on how to get the wiring inside the trunk. I would rather not have to drill into the trunk lid to pass the wiring but I am not seeing any other options.

Thanks

Matthew
    the curved support beams that attach to the trunk on each side are hollow. I had the best luck running through the driver's side beam.

You will want to prep the trunk by removing the lining behind the tool kit. THis is fairly easy. You will be able to see behind the license plate lights and note that it is open to the trunk supports.
    Next you will need a second hand.
    The trick is to get a fish tape or stiff wire. Unbolt the one side of the trunk and have someone hold it for you while you fish the wires through the beam.
    THen fish the same wires through to the removed lining section.
    Once you have these wires in place, you should be able to re-attach the trunk and work on the actual mounting.

I drilled small holes on each license plate light frame to allow the wires from the LI heads to slide through.
    You can mount the heads with or without the included hardware, but i chose to clip off one side of the head mount in order to push them out to the side as much as possible.
    I also opted for 3M tape solutions which has held up well over the last year.

Definitely the hardest part is fishing the wires into the beam. be gentle and take your time or you might pop a connector off of the wires.
    I purchased the $30 extensions just so i had the option to remove them easily without re-fishing them through that beam.