Good Citizen

Default Ticket Fighting Gadgets: We test the latest devices ...

Heads up for those in the viewing area!

TUESDAY AT 11 PM ON WCPO-TV 9 (Cincinnati, OH)

Ticket Fighting Gadgets: we test the latest devices that claim they'll help you avoid traffic tickets!

I'll post the transcript and video link after it appears on the website.

Good Citizen

Default Re: Ticket Fighting Gadgets: We test the latest devices ...

Quote Originally Posted by Speeder_757
    Heads up for those in the viewing area!

TUESDAY AT 11 PM ON WCPO-TV 9 (Cincinnati, OH)

Ticket Fighting Gadgets: we test the latest devices that claim they'll help you avoid traffic tickets!

I'll post the transcript and video link after it appears on the website.
    Sweet! I'll be looking forward to it.

Good Citizen

FWIW, the segment is coming up and you can see it stream live: http://wcpo.com/video/

Yoda of Radar

Damn! I turn it on and hear "and what about plate covers that scramble laser and radar? Officers say there is no such thing" and that was it.

Good Citizen

Ok I used one of my databases to find a closed caption transcript (please excuse the formatting and the grammar. I tried to correct some of it, but it's still pretty raw until the news station website posts an official transcript):

TRAFFIC TICKETS ARE GETTING EXPENSIVE NOWADAYS, A LEAD FOOT CAN COST YOU 150 DOLLARS... RUNNING A RED LIGHT? 100 BUCKS IN SOME AREAS! BUT SOME NEW PRODUCTS FROM A TICKET.... BY MAKING CLAIM THEY WILL PROTECT YOU YOUR CAR INVISIBLE TO THE LAW. T DO THEY REALLY WORK?

CONSUMER REPORTER JOHN MATARESE INVESTIGATES... SO YOU DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY.

THE NEWEST WAY POLICE ARE THE LAW: RED LIGHT CAMERAS, TARGETING DRIVERS WHO BREAK THE LAW THAT SNAP YOUR CAR'S PICTURE IF YOU RUN THE RED LIGHT. THEY'RE SO CONTROVERSIAL THEY'VE LAUNCHED A WHOLE INDUSTRY... SELLING PRODUCTS TO BLOCK THEM!

IT'S BECOME HARDER THAN EVER TO EVADE THE LAW. RADAR DETECTORS ARE USELESS AGAINST LASER. EVEN LASER DETECTORS ARE IFFY, BECAUSE LASER SHOOTS SUCH A NARROW BEAM.

SO THE HOTTEST NEW LICENSE PLATE COVERS CLAIM THEY'LL PROTECT YOU FROM RED LIGHT CAMERAS ... WHICH HAVE DRIVERS LIKE MARY JO PLUCKER RUNNING SCARED. "I hate it... makes me pretty nervous when I drive. "

CINCINNATI HAS JUST VOTED DOWN RED LIGHT CAMERAS ... FOR NOW. BUT MIDDLETOWN AND DAYTON OHIO CURRENTLY USE THEM.

SO SALES FOR PHANTOM SHIELD," A PLASTIC PLATE COVER ARE BOOMING ... AS WELL AS FOR "PHOTOBLOCKER," A CLEAR SPRAY. BOTH PROMISE TO DEFLECT RED LIGHT CAMERAS. BUT DO THEY WORK? AND WHAT DO POLICE THINK?

WE SHOWED THE PROUDCTS TO POLICE "What do you think of this?" CAMERA SUPERVISOR MIKE BRUCK HE'S CURRENTLY ACTING POLICE CHIEF OF MIDDLETOWN, FOR THE PAST 4 MONTHS. HE SAYS THE CAMERAS HAVE BEEN OPERATING AND CAMERA MAKERS ASSURE HIM THESE PRODUCTS DON'T WORK. "We have talked to our vendor about this... They're not aware of anything actually works... That can't defeat the technology we're using." HIS DEPARTMENT, THOUGH, DID NOT WANT TO TEST ANYTHING TO HELP US BREAK THE LAW PUBLICLY, SO WE TESTED THEM OURSELVES.

"This is the plain plate with no protector on it. ""Got it!" USING A DIGITAL CAMERA WITH FLASH --TO SIMULATE A RED LIGHT CAMERA -- I TOOK PICTURES OF UNPROTECTED LICENSE PLATES. TTHEN I PUT ON same plate, with the shield. " THE CRUISER SHIELD. "Now the FINALLY, I SPRAYED THE PLATES WITH PHOTBLOCKER SPRAY. I EXPERIMENTED ON PLATES FROM DIFFERENT STATES SINCE EACH REFLECT DIFFERENTLY. I TESTED OUTDOORS IN SUNLIGHT, AND I PERFORMED THE TEST IN A DARK PARKING GARAGE.

THE DIFFERENCE: UNCOVERED PLATES IN A GARAGE... YOU CAN SEE ARE EASY TO READ. COVERED, THE SAME PLATES ARE TOUGHER TO READ. IT SEEMED TO WORK!

WITH SOME PLATES, THOUGH, YOU COULD STILL MAKE OUT NUMBERS. IT WAS DIFFERENT STORY OUTDOORS, NOT MUCH EFFECT: WE COULD READ ALL HOWEVER.

IN THE SUNLIGHT, NEITHER BLOCKER SEEMED TO HAVE FOUND THESE PRODUCTS MAY WORK.

BOTTOM LINE: WE AFTER DARK THEY MAY WORK, BUT ARE QUESTIONABLE IN BROAD DAYLIGHT. --THE MANUFACTURER OF BOTH PRODUCTS, A FIRM CALLED PHANTOM PLATE, HOWEVER DISAGREES, SAYING INDEPENDENT TESTS PROVE THEY WORK.

EITHER WAY, POLICE SAY YOU SHOULD to do something that enables THINK TWICE. "If youre trying you to violate the law, you're doing something ethically wrong. " YOU CAN ORDER THESE ONLINE FOR 20 OR 30 DOLLARS. BUT THE COVERS ARE ILLEGAL IN MARYLAND, VIRGINIA, AND ONE OF THE STATES BANNING THEM IS ILLINOIS... AND THE LIST OF GROWING.

AND IF YOU'RE THAT DIFFUSES RADAR AND LASER LOOKING FOR A PLATE COVER BEAMS ON THE HIGHWAY.... POLICE SAY THERE'S NO SUCH THING IN THAT CASE, DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY. I'M JOHN MATARESE.

Lead Foot

Photoblockers that put a glossy coat on your plate don't work, they just have to do a negative view of the image and it gets the license in a snap. The ones that do work at the ones that physically block from angles, not the ones that over expose the image.