Re: Radar Mounting Angle..
As far as detection goes, the tape will have no impact what-so-ever IMO.
Please post some pics "in-car" as it sits... Generally since radar bounces off so many surfaces before it is picked up by our RD's a very slight angle will be Ok from left-to-right, but each persons definition of that is different... pics would help there.
I do the leveling normally by eye, because in all honesty if you get out a level you need to make sure the car is completely level before that too etc...
Post numerous in-car pics and it will shed light on the issue(s).
With how anal you seem to be (I mean that in the context you used it)... you are likely more then fine with your mounting, but pics of it mounted in car would be more telling.
Re: Radar Mounting Angle..
I agree with Airmoore on the tape not affecting your reception. The tape is not blocking your antenna and it is just resting on the back mounting for the RD.
Re: Radar Mounting Angle..
Shew, im having the exact same problem with my BMW. The window curves to the left of the mirror and i cant mount my 9500ix there without it either pointing left/right or if i get it aiming straight, its not level. Seems to be off axis like 15 degrees or so (eyeball guess).
I wish there was some way i could figure out to mount this thing correctly. I got so frustrated with it that i decided to mount it in the center of the windshield as thats the only place i can get it straight and level. I believe ive actually been getting better range this way too. I dont understand why either.
4 Attachment(s)
Re: Radar Mounting Angle..
Well here are the pictures. As the last picture shows i have the front of my radar pointing ever so slightly in the air. This is due to the GOL review of my 9500ix that shows that the most sensitive part of my radar is right below dead center.
Let me know what yall think.
Re: Radar Mounting Angle..
Also the width of my radar is perfectly level. That is from one side to the other.
Re: Radar Mounting Angle..
Nice. Did you also twist the mounting bracket?
Re: Radar Mounting Angle..
I sure did. Everything look A-okay?
Re: Radar Mounting Angle..
Yea, looks great. I may have to do the same for my bimmer.
What did you use to twist the bracket evenly?
Re: Radar Mounting Angle..
Just some needle nose pliers. But when you twist the bracket, the front of the radar wont sit securely against the window. That is why i used the 3M double sided tape. The tape made the front point straight and be held without bouncing too much.