Default Police scanner model suggestions?

Retiring my old Uniden scanner soon and I want to level up my police scanning with a good device. I'm willing to spend for this, so any suggestion will be welcomed. Been reading up a bit and found this list: https://www.ratedradardetector.org/police-scanner/best/. Currently have my eye on the Whistler WS1040. Thoughts on this model?

Thanks in advance.

Advanced Member

Default Re: Police scanner model suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford909 View Post
    Retiring my old Uniden scanner soon and I want to level up my police scanning with a good device. I'm willing to spend for this, so any suggestion will be welcomed. Been reading up a bit and found this list: https://www.ratedradardetector.org/police-scanner/best/. Currently have my eye on the Whistler WS1040. Thoughts on this model?

Thanks in advance.

I can help. I've owned scanners for years, but today your scanner is useless against the new technology public service uses. If you Google APCO Project 25, you'll learn Cops and others now use military grade scrambling to hide their communications. You'll need a scanner that can program that. It's not cheap, but Uniden has a dog or two in this fight, with a learning curve. I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post

Thanks in advance.

I can help. I've owned scanners for years, but today your scanner is useless against the new technology public service uses. If you Google APCO Project 25, you'll learn Cops and others now use military grade scrambling to hide their communications. You'll need a scanner that can program that. It's not cheap, but Uniden has a dog or two in this fight, with a learning curve. I hope that helps.
    Thanks for that info. Will read up on that a bit more, but looking into the list I'm using as a basis for good options, I saw around 5 models from Uniden there. I'll keep on reading about this and see which one can do away with the tighter police comms security.

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kmeleon View Post

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for that info. Will read up on that a bit more, but looking into the list I'm using as a basis for good options, I saw around 5 models from Uniden there. I'll keep on reading about this and see which one can do away with the tighter police comms security.
    Whatever your choice is, the manufacture will note if it's P25 capable. If you want to learn more about P25 the .pdf file to Google is P25UNS P25 SoR

Newcomer

I have to agree with Kmeleon - here in the State of Pennsylvania - the local police has banded together with the state police and is now a subscriber to the First Net.

Unless there is a disaster or an emergency - lately the state and the national weather service has declared Snowmageddon for 2 - 4 inches of snowfall in one day - when that happens they turn on the analog for a day or two or even just for a couple of hours. Once that is over - most of the time I don't even hear the fire companies anymore - they have all gone P-25 digital and encrypted.

Radio Reference has not kept up with the changes and I think they are not saying anything because it is hard, if not impossible to get people to subscribe to a service that only works part of the time.

The new scanners - with the exception of the Home Patrol - are not plug and play, you have to have a computer and a program to program them and truthfully it is not worth the bother anymore.

At one time I would have recommended listening to Amateur Radio Frequencies and GMRS - but even that has died here.