Professional

Default How V1Connection works?

Got a question. I think I am pretty well set on moving ahead with an upgrade to the ole V1 and jumping on this "Connect" dealie. My question is though, most of my driving is going to be around the East Texas area...with the occasional trip to Houston by various routes, but typically either 59 south or down 94 to 19 then pick up 45 into the city.

I am not an aggressive driver, but I hate the constant speed changes on a lot of these TX highways for no apparent reason. I understand driving through the little towns and what not, but there appear to be speed changes on some of these state and FM roads that seem rediculous. Sometimes from a PSL of 70 to 50 and then right back to 70. I would prefer to just set the cruise and forget it. I rarely get the Tahoe over 70 or 75 anyhow.

If I get the V1Connect and set some sweeps up, do I need to keep my iphone connected to the device while I'm running it? Or can I set up the sweeps and then shoot that program over to the V1 and forget it.

I use my iphone for various things while in the vehicle...phone calls, podcasts/music and occasional google mapping. I would prefer not to keep the V1 connected to my phone at all times in order to use it, but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.

Anyone have any suggestions on custom sweeps for the area, or is Veil Guy's pretty good for an all around good sweep? I also take an occasional trip cross country to visit the fam. Basically take the new I69 corridor all the way from East Texas to Lansing, MI before I start taking the side roads to mom's.

Ideas? Suggestions? Input?

Speed Demon

Default Re: How V1Connection works?

Sweeps are stored in the v1 once you program it. The ones VG uses are pretty much the norm. Others may tweak the lows and highs to their suiting. But its pretty much the same.

If you are using the stock app and you don't care about the "in the box/out the box" feature or concerned with the frequency display, then you probably don't need your iPhone to be connected. Frequency display is huge for me. I'll pretty much know if the alert is a real one just be seeing the display. But that's me.

Professional

Ahhh, well that's cool. I was hoping that was the case. I am just now getting up to speed on the new stuff. I have been away from the forum for a while, and it's also getting time to tune up the ole 3.813 again, so I thought I would see what's out there. When it gets tune up time, I always check to see how the new stuff is coming along and up until now, I've always chose to stick with the 3.813 as (I feel) it's the best of the 1.8 firmwares. But I am seeing lots of good things about the latest and greatest 1.85 stuff and the ability to set sweep ranges is absolutely amazing and crazy fast. I can't see myself driving with the iphone app 100% of the time, but I can see driving with it for a while to get an idea of what is going on in the region until I get things figured out. I obviously know where my falses are, but setting Ka sweeps would be killer. That's all anyone uses around here and even all I've ever ran across in Houston. I have not ran into K band police radar in a long time. They still use it in other states and I just got back from a TX to MI trip and back and ran into it a few times on the road and the staties in the ole home state of Michigan still do use it regularly.

This pretty much answers my questions because I really didn't want to have to rely on having a BT connection to my iphone 100% of the time to be able to run any sweeps. I wanted to get an idea of how this stuff worked before I invested in the new technology. I want to be able to set my sweeps in the V1 and then just leave it. Once I figure out what everyone's running around here, I can almost mute K band entirely (I already mute X band other than when I drive through OH which is very rare anymore now that I live in TX). I would just probably run with Ka and L only as that's all I've ever experienced around here. But I would re-evaluate things with the app, then I can set up what I want, save it to the V1 and then just run without using the app unless I wanted to for whatever reason. Like I said, I use my phone for other things and didn't want to risk making the V1 not work how I wanted it to if the app wasn't connected to it.

Thanks for the info! If anyone else has any other info, feel free to post, but I'm learning a lot about sweeping from reading some of these threads. I will ask more questions if I have them

Banned

Lots of possibility's with custom sweeps for each individuals situation. V1C is a great option for the V1. I did a how to for Android here: Radar Detector & Laser Jammer Forum

Theirs is also an app called YaV1 that adds endless possibility's to the V1 if you can run an android phone, some of the features it adds besides custom sweeps is speed sensitive muting, GPS, GPS lock outs, auto learning and many more. Lots of information about it here: Radar Detector & Laser Jammer Forum
    Last edited by CJR238; 08-21-2014 at 02:42 PM.

Professional

Cool! No Android for me... Apple geek here, but good info nonetheless! The general setup theories still applies to iPhone... Just done a different way