Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default should i change for sti ???

i have rx65 since a year...should i change for sti ??? is it more sensitive ??

i live in quebec and cop dont seem to look for rd !!

i get a lot of false k alert (thats not funny)

is the sti better for false k ?

Radar Fanatic

If I lived in Canada, I would most definitely invest in the STi.

Yoda of Radar

I hear the STI has very good filtering, perhaps it will be better but not much.

It's a bit better in all the performance aspects than the RX65. But it is undetectable 8)

If you were buying an RD today, or you had a cheap RD or something, I would say go for the STI right away. But if you already have an RX65 and are comfortable using it... I would stick with the RX65 for at least a short time now... maybe a couple months.

There is a small problem with the STI's out there now. Apparently they leak a small amount of energy in the ~432 MHz range. Nothing is out there that can detect it, but it is possible something might happen. We're mostly just waiting for Beltronics to give a response or something to it.

Good Citizen

I have an STI and use it in Virginia. If I leave it on highway mode it picks up each and every store k band and x band radar. If you put it in autoscan it cuts down on these somewhat. If you put it in city mode they mostly disappear. However if you are parked in front of the store it will still alarm. The STI also has a city mode, no x band which obviously eliminates all x band alerts. The end of the story is you have to decide how much risk you are willing to take to cut down on the falses. My take is I leave it on highway most of the time and only use city mode when I am in a city with a lot of traffic and am not likely to be going fast enough to get a ticket anyway since around here you usually get 10-15 mph over before they will stop you.

Power User

I havnt got one yet due to the rumours flying about it being detected soon....no proof of it yet but im sure it will happen...

I hope it doesnt cause i need stealth.

Power User

If you live in an area infested with Spectres (like Quebec) then if it was me I would sell the RX65 and get an STi.

Radar Fanatic

Did you see how someone on the other forum was able to pick up the STI at over 20 feet at a certain mhz IF?
    He explained how once perfected a LEO could sit on the side of the road and wait for you to drive by.

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by V1 Dave
    Did you see how someone on the other forum was able to pick up the STI at over 20 feet at a certain mhz IF?
    He explained how once perfected a LEO could sit on the side of the road and wait for you to drive by.
    The LEO would have to have special equipment and a rather large antenna. also the LEO would not be able to tell the difference between the STi and other mobile electronics. Another thing is that "homemade device" would probably not be approved for use by the LEO's department.

Newcomer

im new to RD's, but i also drive in VA.

I read on this forum that X band was not approved for use in VA. I've disabled X band, and turned POP mode on.

I definitely get less falses because of the stores that cause x band faults, but i like that it picks up false K's near some stores(CVS, malls, etcs.) because i know it's working. Most of the driving i do i've only noticed police running radar and it was KA band. So far, VERY impressed with the performance of my STI. I use it in both my cars.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by stealthJamal
    The LEO would have to have special equipment and a rather large antenna. also the LEO would not be able to tell the difference between the STi and other mobile electronics. Another thing is that "homemade device" would probably not be approved for use by the LEO's department.
    Thanks stealthJamal, I did not realize that multiple electronics could cause the same thing.
    Hopefully that will keep Spectre away for a long time or forever.