Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default Bel E795 vs. Whistler xtr-220

First of all I would like to say that you guys have a great forum here with lots of nice & hepful people.

I'm in the market for a low budget RD. I have been reading a lot over the last week or so have ome to the conclusion that the Bel E795 is a good buy for the price ($59 RS). I've also seen that Whistler has the new xtr line out and the 220 has a lot of options(POP) for a realitve low price($69 at Wally World). I haven't seen a lot of reviews on the 220 so I'm kind of hesitant on buying. Which RD do you guys think would be the better buy? I understand that you get what you pay for but I just don't need an expensive RD at this time. I'm just replacing my aging Whistler 1745 that falses when the wind blows. I appreciate everyone's advice & help.

Radar Fanatic

Either one would probably perform pretty similar. The E795 seems to be pretty decent, and Whistler has a good track record too. It's really your call. Whistler does have an excelent tract record for customer service.

Power User

Even though some have decent performance wit h the 795, be cautious and first test against live police traps and see the performance to judge the level of early warning you can get. You should be alright on K band. But Ka is short range even wit hte most expensive RD, I would be very cautious. And not do more than 10 over so you have a chance to get your speed down in time. RD are not fool proof, you already have a relatively small window for getting out of a ticket, lower performer detector... the smaller the window becomes. :wink:

Speed Demon

i bought a 795 the other day just for kicks and i have to tell you it works quite well in fact. i tried it against my x50 and the range was remarkably close as weel as the falsing. it was extremely quiet and picked up everything my x50 did within a few feet. i couldnt be more pleased considering the low price. i would not hesitat at all running it.

Professional

I would go with the Bel, it has been out longer and has a proven track history. However, that being said, the xtr might do just as well.

Can you buy both and then return the one that doesn't perform as well? RS will take it back before 30 days (full refund - do it on a card though, not cash). My wal-mart takes anything back.

Newcomer

I appreciate everyone's advice and input.

While bumping around on the internet today I found that one of my local electronic stores has the Bel E925 on sale for $79 in store buy only. I called the store and they said they had one that was unopened and they would hold it for me. Should I go for it or just buy the E795?

Old Timer

Default either

I haven't owned a Whistler for quite a while. Since I have a good working 795, I would say it's a good unit. Some have bought bad units so beware. I got a mile range on k band yesterday w/ the 795.

Newcomer

The only reason i dont run my 925 anymore is because of introduction of POP in my area. Besides that my 925 outperformed my gf's v1 on k and ka band. I can't speak on laser bc neither of us have had any runins with it. Imo i think the 925 is one of the most UNDERrated units out there.

Newcomer

Ended up getting the E925 for $79. Drove about 30 miles on I-85 and had two separate laser alerts that scared me to death (never saw the cop) and a K alert that gave me a plenty of time to slow down about 1/2 mile before I saw the cop. Is it normal to have a false laser alerts?

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by Thug
    Ended up getting the E925 for $79. Drove about 30 miles on I-85 and had two separate laser alerts that scared me to death (never saw the cop) and a K alert that gave me a plenty of time to slow down about 1/2 mile before I saw the cop. Is it normal to have a false laser alerts?
    Falses on laser can and do happen occasionally.....especially around airports. You can almost count on a laser falser around nearly ALL airports....