Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default What are the advantages of "POP MODE OFF" ?

On my Bel 955, the default setting is "off" for POP mode detection.

It seems, perhaps naively, that one would want this "on", even if the use of POP mode is very rare. Other than, perhaps more false-positive alerts, are there some disadvantages to leaving POP mode "on" ?

Thanks !

Speed Demon

Default Re: What are the advantages of "POP MODE OFF" ?

Quote Originally Posted by RD
    On my Bel 955, the default setting is "off" for POP mode detection.

It seems, perhaps naively, that one would want this "on", even if the use of POP mode is very rare. Other than, perhaps more false-positive alerts, are there some disadvantages to leaving POP mode "on" ?

Thanks !
    The theory is that there are very few pop guns in operation, and by having pop off, your detector can devote more time to scanning the other bands.

Power User

a BIG disadvantage to leaving POP on is the headaches caused by Cobra detectors and all that.................POP is just a way to sell their guns, POP cant be used to issue tickets or anything like that, just a rough and highly inaccurate estimate

Speed Demon

Quote Originally Posted by Arashi666
    a BIG disadvantage to leaving POP on is the headaches caused by Cobra detectors and all that.................POP is just a way to sell their guns, POP cant be used to issue tickets or anything like that, just a rough and highly inaccurate estimate
    Arashi, one of the things that I have noticed about the X50 6.1, is that even with pop mode on, it doesn't false to cobras as much

Power User

Quote Originally Posted by jdreynss
    Arashi, one of the things that I have noticed about the X50 6.1, is that even with pop mode on, it doesn't false to cobras as much
    ...but we're talking about a V995 here

Radar Fanatic

yeah the X50 has way to many pop alerts with it on, from all the idiots with cobras and what not

Speed Demon

whoops, true, true...I wasn't paying attention

Power User

now ya know........you had a V995 before, share your thoughts

Newcomer

So other people's Cobra radar detectors emit signals that set off a 955 (and/or others) when in POP mode ? (Sorry if I just don't understand the basics here.)

Thanks.

I have been driving around withh the POP mode of my 955 turned on, and I still get very few false alarms.....much fewer than my own previous Cobra unit that is so old that I'm sure it doesn't have POP mode detection at all.

Speed Demon

now ya know........you had a V995 before, share your thoughts
    I found that the V995 was a very good unit, but it had alot of false alerts, and as for pop??? I never had pop turned on with that unit..so I don't know..but based on all the falses that I got without pop, I would think that it would be even worse with pop