Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer

Default WARNING: Don't let your STi swim :(

It says now: Service Required ... wow that's a surprise

(it was build in a watertight box, which was not that watertight ... and waterdamage is not covered by the warrenty, so I probably will purchase a new dectertor soon, if my 'electronics-guy' cannot fix it anyhow ...

Speed Demon

Ouch! :shock:

I feel you're pain

Old Timer

Oh no! What happened to it?

I understand that it's water damage, but what were the circumstances?

Sorry to see that, bruddah.

-----

BTW, nice rides - to the both of you. Mind sharing some information about your rides in the "Car Talk" sub-Forum?

Advanced Member

Bad stuff that but thats a lesson to all who want to convert regular Rds to Stealth models. :shock:

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by spankyaf
    Bad stuff that but thats a lesson to all who want to convert regular Rds to Stealth models. :shock:
    X2...............I personally would never mount a $450.00 Rd "Outside" of a vehicle in a "waterproof" enclosure. It was designed to be used from the interior.

Just as I would never put my Nikon in a zip lock bag to take pictures underwater.

Professional

Liquid_force im taking that you might of had it on your bike in one of those so called waterproof boxes?????

Newcomer

no, I mounted it behind the bumper of my car, because of legal reasons in the countries I'm driving in most. The box I purchased was a watertight box, but not as watertight as the manufacturer promissed, too bad I'm not under US jurisdictions otherwise I could sue them

so now I probably will wait until the new 975r stealth remote will be released ... or use one of the nice filters provided by flitsservice.nl on an old 975r (not the just released version) ... the Stinger DSI is probably too expensive for me ... after this debacle ...

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by liquid_force
    no, I mounted it behind the bumper of my car, because of legal reasons in the countries I'm driving in most. The box I purchased was a watertight box, but not as watertight as the manufacturer promissed, too bad I'm not under US jurisdictions otherwise I could sue them

so now I probably will wait until the new 975r stealth remote will be released ... or use one of the nice filters provided by flitsservice.nl on an old 975r (not the just released version) ... the Stinger DSI is probably too expensive for me ... after this debacle ...
    Sad to see LF But at least you get a new remote soon
    RR

Newcomer

Sorry to hear about your STi, such a sad ending to a great RD.

For the water-tight box you used, how was it sealed?

For our non-factory remotes we use to use silicon sealant over the boxes gaskets/ seals as an added level of protection. We also mounted high in the grill through an opening or cut an opening in a turn indicator for mounting.

Newcomer

Doing a postmortem of your experience could help others ...

Even a watertight box has his weak points such as the wires entrance , even the smallest % of moisture that gets in will ruin any electronics sooner or later...

How did you find out something was wrong with your sti ?

Someone could invent a moisture detector to alert us for expensive equipment ...