Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Has anyone try fixing their broken Beltronic before?

My 895 went silent just one week after it's 1 year warranty, and both Beltronics and Radio Shack said that's your tough luck. :x

Shipping it off to be fixed at more then half of what I paid for it, or trading it in for 40 bucks off the retail value of a upgraded one would be stupid, as I can get a upgraded one plenty of places for a lot less than 40 bucks.

So I plan to open it up and take a crack at repairing my specker problem myself.

If anyone has ever tried repairing theirs I am open for all suggestions or comments.

Professional

Do a search for beltronics speaker.There is a full sticky on how to do it.

Good Citizen

Open it up; you have little to lose. If the display still works and detects radar, you probably have the speaker problem. If the display works and no radar is detected, hopefully the sensors need an adjustment. It's been a while but I believe there is a variable adjustment inside that can be made with a small screw driver. (This takes me back 10 years so don't quote me on it.) Beyond that, most components are surface mounted so you'd have to be good at soldering.

Alternatively, you can buy a unit from Beltronics and return the old one for a credit.

Yoda of Radar

Do they still sell new 895s?

Speed Demon

Nope. Well, unless you go to a Shack that moves product REALLY SLOW. The only Beltronics they offer now is the v995. :?

Quote Originally Posted by mrcllusb
    Do a search for beltronics speaker.There is a full sticky on how to do it.
    I did a search on beltronic speaker and I never found a Sticky on doing this.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by bkrell
    Nope. Well, unless you go to a Shack that moves product REALLY SLOW. The only Beltronics they offer now is the v995. :?
    There goes my idea.

Speed Demon

But still, I know if you go to some of the small, franchise stores you can probably find NIB Tandy Color Computers .....so an 895 may not be that hard to find.

If your idea was to buy a 895 and then return the broken one, then I thought of that too. All the Radio Shacks in 100 miles of where I live don't have a single one left. I think that RS sent a memo down for each store to send them back to their home office, because they feared that people would do just that. They did not opt out of their contract for carrying the 895 and 795 for nothing, as I feel all along they all knew there was problems with those models that were exclusively being made for their company. RS offers their own extended warranty on just about anything they sell in their stores, and I should have been skeptical from day one when that didn't even attempt to sell me a extended warranty.

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by satman858
    If your idea was to buy a 895 and then return the broken one, then I thought of that too.
    :shock: :wink: