Professional

Default Two weird situations

Well I was driving in the city right next to mine and got a Ka 35.5 hit and realized that they must have just recently upgraded (used to only use K). So I was driving around some more to see if I could get any more detections and I got a full Ka 35.5 alert (I assumed IO) but the patrol car quickly came into sight.

Then on my way home, a CPD cruiser was coming down the hill around a very strange corner and I got a full (IO-type) K band alert and the LEO rounded the corner shortly after. I haven't seen either city use IO, but I was wondering if these were likely IO shots or did it just not get any signal before to start alerting earlier. Both detections were severely off-axis and I was surprised that it even picked it up at all.

Power User

I would say it's not IO since it's severely off axis. 35.5 is hard to detect. You may have the kustom signals radar unit in your area because it has the capability to use both K and ka bands in one police cruiser and of course not both at the same time. You should be able to tell if it's kustom because of the octagonal shape antenna's.

Power User

Default Re: Two weird situations

Quote Originally Posted by Jabomb9
    Well I was driving in the city right next to mine and got a Ka 35.5 hit and realized that they must have just recently upgraded (used to only use K). So I was driving around some more to see if I could get any more detections and I got a full Ka 35.5 alert (I assumed IO) but the patrol car quickly came into sight.

Then on my way home, a CPD cruiser was coming down the hill around a very strange corner and I got a full (IO-type) K band alert and the LEO rounded the corner shortly after. I haven't seen either city use IO, but I was wondering if these were likely IO shots or did it just not get any signal before to start alerting earlier. Both detections were severely off-axis and I was surprised that it even picked it up at all.
    IO is triggeed for a few seconds, if your hits were continuous after the initial alert then it was not IO, if these patrol cars were comming from an extreme perpendicular corner/curve (or just turned onto the street or may have just turned on the unit) then that would explain the "late" detection.

Professional

Okay that's what I figured. Thanks for the replies!

BTW, I see that the Decatur gun and the Kustom signals gun are both 35.5 and amoney said that you can distinguish a Kustom signals gun by the octagonal shape. What about the Decatur gun?

Power User

Okay that's what I figured. Thanks for the replies!

BTW, I see that the Decatur gun and the Kustom signals gun are both 35.5 and amoney said that you can distinguish a Kustom signals gun by the octagonal shape. What about the Decatur gun?
    err

Azonehits said that... :wink:

Professional

err...that's what I meant. Thanks for the correction.

Power User

What about the Decatur gun?
    They have a round housing for the decatur with round cone and the kustom will have the octagonal housing as seen in the link below.

http://www.kustomsignals.com/product...ame=fixedmount

Experienced

Default decature radar

if you look at my picture the silver ring antenna is a decature radar 35.5 KA band radar. on top of the kustomsignals k band octagon antenna