Radar Fanatic

Default 955 possibly dead

As I'm driving home tonight with the 955, staying 20 below psl because of all the stupid f***s who feel the need to drive so slow after just 4" of snowfall, and the roads being plowed perfectly clear, I catch a glimpse of the 955s display suddenly going blank. Look down at smartcord, power light is off and I check that the plug is secure in the cig lighter. It is. I hit the power button on the RD and hear the usual clicking noise and both red/green lights illuminate on the smartcord as long as the power button is held in, but RD won't power on. I try again a minute later and it powers up, but not for long. I come home and try to power it up again, nothing; the reset combination won't boot it up, and for some reason I tried the tutorial mode combination and still nothing.

Swapped it out with the X50, which is working fine so its not a wiring/fuse issue.

I have couple of days to see if it wants to behave or Bel gets a call Monday. I was considering sending it in for a checkup and a case/lens replacement last June after it was subjected to the heat and smoke from the house fire, but strangely its had better performance than before the fire and it consistently beats my X50 which is why I've been using the 955 almost exclusively.

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: 955 possibly dead

Quote Originally Posted by dpatel01 View Post
    As I'm driving home tonight with the 955, staying 20 below psl because of all the stupid f***s who feel the need to drive so slow after just 4" of snowfall, and the roads being plowed perfectly clear, I catch a glimpse of the 955s display suddenly going blank. Look down at smartcord, power light is off and I check that the plug is secure in the cig lighter. It is. I hit the power button on the RD and hear the usual clicking noise and both red/green lights illuminate on the smartcord as long as the power button is held in, but RD won't power on. I try again a minute later and it powers up, but not for long. I come home and try to power it up again, nothing; the reset combination won't boot it up, and for some reason I tried the tutorial mode combination and still nothing.

Swapped it out with the X50, which is working fine so its not a wiring/fuse issue.

I have couple of days to see if it wants to behave or Bel gets a call Monday. I was considering sending it in for a checkup and a case/lens replacement last June after it was subjected to the heat and smoke from the house fire, but strangely its had better performance than before the fire and it consistently beats my X50 which is why I've been using the 955 almost exclusively.
    How old is the 955?

Oh and we haven't gotten 4" of snow all winter. Its been a sucky, cold, damp winter down here. Not snowy though.

Radar Fanatic

build date Feb '07, purchased June '07.

went for repair around Jan '08, got the extended warranty on it too at the time.

Experienced

Maybe try another power cord, that could be an issue.

Michael

Yoda of Radar

Quote Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
    Maybe try another power cord, that could be an issue.

Michael
    This is what I was thinking also.

Radar Fanatic

I had a vector go bad from getting too hot on a long trip one time. It just died. I went out and bought a new one for the return trip and when I got home the original one started working fine again. If yours has been working better than your x50 I would send it in for IRAN. It sounds like a good one worth fixing.

Radar Fanatic

The RD powered on yesterday and I've had two days to do some testing. It doesnt seem as sensitive w/regards to its normal falses but there could be other factors involved such as humidity that effect performance so I won't give a conclusive answer as to whether or not its needs to be serviced. I didn't want to take any chances on a trip today so I used the 8500 and got hit with I/O 35.5 Ka from a state trooper, which was the main area where my 955 really shined over the 8500, but it was also my fault for not using a rabbit on the return trip. Sh!t happens, and I'm not here to b!tch about what I got tonight.

Professional

So I guess that you got a ticket.

Radar Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by asianfire View Post
    So I guess that you got a ticket.
    Yes

Radar Fanatic

I guess you will be sending in the 955? It sounds like it would be worth it.