Professional

Default STi-R Speaker - Added use?

I use my windows mobile phone as a GPS device and may start using trapster on it. The speaker on it isn't all that loud and I was wondering if I could take an axillary cable going from the phone and plug it into the STi-R amplified speaker using a few adapters/splitters. Could the speaker handle that type of audio? And if it could do you think there would be ill effects of having audio coming from the detector and the phone at the same time?

Newcomer

Default Re: STi-R Speaker - Added use?

Don't quote me on this as it could be wrong, but I am fairly sure this is a bad idea.

Essentially you are having two seperate sources (two seperate audio amplification circuits), which can possibly run two different signals into the one speaker at the same time.
    Your phone's audio output IC will be looking at the speakers impedance to see how much power to send out, but there is also an audio output IC on the detector looking for impedance from the speaker. The whole thing gets very messy and I am sure there will be a puff of smoke coming out of the phone or detector, or both!

Once the smoke comes out it is very difficult and expensive to get back in, so it's definately best to try and keep the smoke in there! The best way I can see to do this is to not pair up these devices. If you really like the amplified speaker to boost volume, then simply look at buying another amplified speaker for your phone... Beltronics sell them for $29.95! It won't take up much extra space and will no effect the detector!

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by GTRADAR View Post
    Don't quote me on this as it could be wrong, but I am fairly sure this is a bad idea.

Essentially you are having two seperate sources (two seperate audio amplification circuits), which can possibly run two different signals into the one speaker at the same time.
    Your phone's audio output IC will be looking at the speakers impedance to see how much power to send out, but there is also an audio output IC on the detector looking for impedance from the speaker. The whole thing gets very messy and I am sure there will be a puff of smoke coming out of the phone or detector, or both!

Once the smoke comes out it is very difficult and expensive to get back in, so it's definately best to try and keep the smoke in there! The best way I can see to do this is to not pair up these devices. If you really like the amplified speaker to boost volume, then simply look at buying another amplified speaker for your phone... Beltronics sell them for $29.95! It won't take up much extra space and will no effect the detector!
    Oh wow I didn't realize that bel sold the speaker seperate, I'll probably just do that then.

Experienced

If your car stereo has an aux/usb port you can use that as a means as well

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Capid1 View Post
    If your car stereo has an aux/usb port you can use that as a means as well
    it does but I can't play that and the radio at the same time

Radar Fanatic

The speaker is the same one that goes @ RadioShack for $10; I use a few of them between Scanners CBs and HAM radio, they handle voice really well.

I'd say use an aux speaker for each device unless you can find a reliable audio prioritizer circuit (plug in multiple inputs, it goes to one output and mutes the less important signals) but even then you'd risk a delay in alert.

Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    The speaker is the same one that goes @ RadioShack for $10; I use a few of them between Scanners CBs and HAM radio, they handle voice really well.

I'd say use an aux speaker for each device unless you can find a reliable audio prioritizer circuit (plug in multiple inputs, it goes to one output and mutes the less important signals) but even then you'd risk a delay in alert.
    Thanks for the info, I'll just pick up a $10 one at radioshack

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Motor On View Post
    Good to know!