Thread: STi LNAs

Speed Demon

Default STi LNAs

If I were to look inside an STi, what sort of identifying marks or info would distinguish an early custom k/Ka LNA from a later K/Ka LNA? Pics would be great, if handy.

Speed Demon

Default Re: STi LNAs

Can the type be determined from the bottom side of the PC board (e.g., are the older custom soldered through but newer surface mounted)? If not, how about an educated guess based on original antenna test dates and/or unit production dates and/or circuit board revs? If an old LNA gets replaced with a new, does the circuit board have to be replaced too?

EDIT: OK, I just read in old closed thread that the newer ones are "packaged", versus the older ones that are "custom" (Redline style, I guess). So, if one were to tear it down to that point, would a newer one have a more rectangular shape? Any pics available of a Redline LNA?
    Last edited by o2bad455; 01-24-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Speed Demon

Anyone?

Here's MEM-TEK's circa 2007 picture from another thread with markups by Prof. jimbonzzz. Is the K/Ka LNA in the upper right the original "custom" or the updated "packaged" type? Still haven't found a pic of a Redline LNA for comparison.

Speed Demon

I did some searching on the FCC site (https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/...ericSearch.cfm) and found a pic (July 2009) of the "custom" Redline (QKLEM3) LNAs, which look the same as their pic (Sept 2005) of the "custom" STi (QL4G8M3) LNAs. Some STi LNAs from August 2007 looked the same to me (with what looked like a thin piece of glass on top of the K/Ka LNA), but I have yet to see any pics of the later "packaged" STi LNAs for comparison. Thus, the above marked-up pic must be of the early "custom" LNAs.

Anyone know what the line traces are inside the horns of the Redline that seem to lead to the LNAs? I note that they're lined up with the LNAs in both the X and K/Ka Redline horns, but not lined up in the K/Ka STi horn. Oops, pics won't attach -- I'll work on that.
    Last edited by o2bad455; 01-26-2012 at 09:43 AM.