Default Point to Point Protection

Hi gang,

Over the last few years they have been rolling out Point-to-Point trials on many of the major roads where I live and many of these sites have finished up with their Trials and gone Live.

As luck would have it I seldom use the roads with Point-to-Point which as good as it seems also comes with a major drawback. I don't know where all of them are exactly.

Is it feasable for the better GPS equiped detectors like STI-R+ to have user programmable Point-to-Point alerts. Just something simple like, I drive out there once on purpose "Mark" the location but with a special "Point-to-Point" flag which is then paired with another "Mark" at the other end. Then the Detector would warn when approaching a Point-to-Point location and if I had recently passed it's partner Point warn me that I've done the distance too fast, you know so I can pull over 1/4 mile short of the Point to stretch my legs and take a leak.

I have an STI-R and it is great. I like the idea of the STI-R+ since what with all the nuisance alerts I tend to leave the unit off when in built up areas and try not to speed#accidents will happen though#. Unfortunately the LEO's here are a law unto themselves and they will set-up anywhere in complete disregard to the operators manual of whichever unit they have.

I've seen a mobile site parked under power lines feeding some heavy duty Industrial sites, facing both another set of heavy industry powerlines and a skyhigh metal fence.

The STI-R+ would just be "handy" though, I am used to silencing known false alerts, I've seen them set-up traps right near Petrol Stations which give off false alerts so an alert, false or not still requires keeping under PSL.

If the STI-R+ could help me out a bit with the Point-to-Point systems it would be definitely worth upgrading though.

How do you guys go with Point-to-Point and an STI-R+ ?

Radar Fanatic

Default Re: Point to Point Protection

That is really unfortunate to have encountered those in your area.

I don't have anything to suggest about your dilema, but I ask: Why pull over and stretch your legs if the primary purpose of speeding is to save time?

Experienced

a basic garmin will do the best job for specs type speed trap s

Quote Originally Posted by Cips View Post
    That is really unfortunate to have encountered those in your area.

I don't have anything to suggest about your dilema, but I ask: Why pull over and stretch your legs if the primary purpose of speeding is to save time?
    I suppose on occassion I might push the limits a little to save time but most of the time I speed it's when I am preocupied and don't even know I'm doing it. The rest of the time, it's just plain good old fashioned "Fun".

Newcomer

Quote Originally Posted by Cips View Post
    Why pull over and stretch your legs if the primary purpose of speeding is to save time?
    I don't think you understand the premise of "point to point". They use a specified KNOWN distance, ie 1 mile. They track when you pass the first point via toll tag or photo of your plate or something (this part I don't know). Then they know if the speed limit is 60mph, it should take you 60 seconds to get from POINT A TO POINT B. If you get there in 50 seconds, you were undoubtedly speeding, so you pull over for a moment to let more time elapse.

Radar Fanatic

I'm aware of how they work.