Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Beltronics STi Magnum Radar Detector - Purchased

Hey guys, just joined the team!
    -Wanted to clear up a few things.

*Since it's undetectable, I won't have any problems in places such as Virginia, or in the country of Canada (places illegal) as long as i mount it properly in discrete?

*When I come back from the USA to CAD, can i just turn it off & leave it in the trunk. Even if I get searched, can it still get taken away?

Thanks!

Lead Foot

Default Re: Beltronics STi Magnum Radar Detector - Purchased

Quote Originally Posted by MC_SULY View Post
    Hey guys, just joined the team!
    -Wanted to clear up a few things.

*Since it's undetectable, I won't have any problems in places such as Virginia, or in the country of Canada (places illegal) as long as i mount it properly in discrete?

*When I come back from the USA to CAD, can i just turn it off & leave it in the trunk. Even if I get searched, can it still get taken away?

Thanks!
    Your RD wont be detected by RDDs. If you have a stealth install you will be good.

In VA, if it is in the trunk you are good. In Canada if it is anywhere in the motor vehicle you are toast. That is if they ever search your trunk for some reason. Chances of that happening is about 0.5% unless you smoke dope while driving...

VA police cannot take your RD. I think it's a $25-$50 fine at best for being caught using a RD.

Good Citizen

After court costs and other bs its over $200 in the end I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by allikanbe View Post
    VA police cannot take your RD. I think it's a $25-$50 fine at best for being caught using a RD.

Newcomer

Someone once told me if you put the detector in a self addressed envelope with a stamp that they couldn't touch it as it was federal property?

Anyone know if that's a myth?

Good Citizen

Pretty cool if it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by gobby View Post
    Someone once told me if you put the detector in a self addressed envelope with a stamp that they couldn't touch it as it was federal property?

Quote Originally Posted by ukiltmybrutha View Post

: )

Quote Originally Posted by Mandingo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ukiltmybrutha View Post

: )
    That's just got to be a myth haha. Even if it's technically true, I wouldn't be surprised if the judge would be willing to "look away" from the police actions during the incident, just because that's so clearly an effort to beat the system.

Newcomer

You should be safe in Canada, it is not illegal to posses the devices in those provinces, it is illegal to USE the devices. Most of the devices are actually made in the provinces that they are illegal, isn't that funny As long as it is no plugged in, not in your cabin and not in use, then they shouldn't have any reason to take it away.

Canadian trick? Buy a $30 Cobra off eBay, put it in your center console. Roll hard with your STI Magnum and once the Red & blues are behind you, swap your Cobra for your Beltronics and hide your Bel under the seat, hand your Cobra over to the cop when he asks to Seize it, let him crush it with his boots and then continue on your merry way and install your STI back on the windshield when your in the clear. He is happy and thinks he's done the best job in the world and you still have your very precious device.

Lead Foot

Quote Originally Posted by AllGo'n'Show View Post
    You should be safe in Canada, it is not illegal to posses the devices in those provinces, it is illegal to USE the devices. Most of the devices are actually made in the provinces that they are illegal, isn't that funny As long as it is no plugged in, not in your cabin and not in use, then they shouldn't have any reason to take it away.

Canadian trick? Buy a $30 Cobra off eBay, put it in your center console. Roll hard with your STI Magnum and once the Red & blues are behind you, swap your Cobra for your Beltronics and hide your Bel under the seat, hand your Cobra over to the cop when he asks to Seize it, let him crush it with his boots and then continue on your merry way and install your STI back on the windshield when your in the clear. He is happy and thinks he's done the best job in the world and you still have your very precious device.
    In quebec, it is illegal to have the detector in the motor vehicle. Even in the trunk. I don't know about the other ones. The problem with the trick is that you might keep your good detector but it is still 500$ to 750$ ticket depending on the province.